Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:47:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeTac Tiles Tactical Strategy TCG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tac Tiles Tactical Strategy TCG  (Read 4585 times)
Vlad Shadeu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:11:19 AM »

Okay, i'm working on this project and need a GML coder and some spriters. I dont know if you've ever heard of FF8's Triple Triad, but that is a minor part of the mechanics. Basically, you have a 7x7 board (some may vary) the board starts with a single tile in one of the far corners (one for each player) called the Emporer. On each side is a 5. The player with the first turn gets 3 mana added to their mana pool. They may play a character on any adjacent square (including the diagonals). After this phase, they may move the characters as they see fit. If any character hits an enemy character, the numbers on the sides between them are compared. The higher value wins, claiming the opposite card (ties result in nothing) there are also several effects, some of which are listed here:

Push:When the move is finished, mover may choose to move all adjacent enemies away from it 1 square
Agitate: Gets +1 against the opposing element (air to earth, fire to water, dark to light, vice versa)
Element Soul: Instead of getting +1 on a square of the matching element, this character gets +2.
Turncoat: The first time this card is about to be turned, it is not
Power In Numbers: This character gets +1 for every ally adjacent to it.

The game is over when the emporer is turned.

If anyone would be interested in helping (preferably if you know GML and/or can sprite) post here.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:15:01 AM by Vlad Shadeu » Logged
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 11:01:38 AM »

If you're cloning an existing game design, you need a coder, AND you need an artist...what exactly is YOUR role in the project?  That comes off sounding kind of snide/uppity, but I'm genuinely curious!

cup full of magic charisma
Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:42:10 PM »

Card game AI is a bitch to code.

That is all.  Wizard
Vlad Shadeu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 01:17:29 PM »

If you're cloning an existing game design, you need a coder, AND you need an artist...what exactly is YOUR role in the project?  That comes off sounding kind of snide/uppity, but I'm genuinely curious!

First off, its not a clone. Its like taking a poker deck and repainting everything except the pips into some confuddled game. Yes, they still have aces, jacks, and queens, no, its not nearly the same thing. I do indeed do art but not in a spriters sense, rather in a compilers sense. I've arranged and modified everything so it fits together. I've actually coded Game Maker to draw a card and put it through most of the changes it needs to play, it's just all in little kiddy drag and drop. I'll be statting up the larger batch of the cards, organizing them, naming them. I'm some cross between the games conceptual man and the game's secretary.

As for Kadoba, i know its tough but i've been working on some rules that could be turned into coding snippets and function as AI.
Vlad Shadeu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 02:23:08 AM »

No offense, but can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong here? i'm trying my best to get people attracted to this game idea and i thought i made a pretty good pitch, i'm on three forums trying to hunt down people for this and i really wanted to know whats wrong with me ever since the first.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 05:10:25 AM »

I also mean no offense by the following. But I'm probably going to sound a little harsh. If it helps at all, I tend to play games, but I don't make 'em. However! I am working on my First, also in GM, and it's a slow but... fun(?) process.

I think Mr. Atomic sums it up nicely, actually, but I'll try and extrapolate further. TIGSource (and indeed, probably any fora with a population of Indie Game Developers) do get a fair few requests for collaboration. That in itself is excellent, 'cause seems most folk work best in a small team. Helps them focus on their strengths, keep motivated, etc etc.

However, when people see a request like this, it is often from a person who has a rough idea, but no desire to provide the art, the programming, and has little experience with a prior game project - so the nuts and bolts of the design might be up to someone else as well.

To stop for a moment, I'm not saying that YOU are one of these people. But, hey, we're a cautious bunch.

Now, to continue with that thought, people capable of providing killer art, or slick programming, or funky music, they'd be rather... reticent to sign up for a project which could mean doing all the work for someone who doesn't have a clear idea of ANY aspects of design. Sounds harsh, but hey, signing up for a game will mean much work. It better be promising.

In light of what I've seen, I'm not entirely surprised three seperate forums ignored the request. After all, you're probably new to all of them, so you're an unknown quantity. If you'd been posting for a few months AND THEN brought this up... well, hey, you might get some takers. Though that's no guarantee, and besides the current point.

You say you've got a Design Document? A Working Demo in Game Maker? Maybe some Placeholder Art? POST IT. If you have a personal website, a blog, some kind of History, Post that too. You come across as a faceless entity with a nebulous idea. Showing everyone you're a person who Makes Things will really help your cause. We don't just want A Pitch. This isn't a Business. Try and get people interested - you might find a potential audience too.

SUMMARY, 'CAUSE READING IS FOR SUCKERS:

• Adam Atomic makes a damn good point. Think long and hard about the question he asked.
  • People like collaborating
  • The general Indie Dev/Gaming community seems to dislike The Pitch
  • Though only when it's not backed up by a demo, or art
  • Show us your Demos, your Art, your Design Documents, your Blogs, your History
  • (Optional) Stick with the community you're pitching to. They'll like you for it.

You seem like you've got a good idea going, I really like Triple Triad (and card games in general) and I wish you all the best with this! But, again, whaddya got?
Vlad Shadeu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:45:36 AM »

Gainsworthy, Thank you. You'd never believe how hard it is to get a straight answer and i thank you.

I took no offense except for that jab about "your probably new on all of them" because i'm only new on this and another one.
Charas: I've been there for quite awhile
Game Maker Community: Kinda new there, but then again everyone with an collab request seems to be. no real sense of "community"
Here: Yeah, you got me there.

But still, thank you so much.
I do indeed have something.
I'll upload it all in a bit.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 08:34:44 AM »

My main understanding is, ideas are easier to come by then ability. Most of the people with ability have their own ideas and aren't trolling around forums looking for something to grab their attention. Not to say that something won't, but even then, starting with someone else's idea where you have no involvement other then interest it's hard to stick it out.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Vlad Shadeu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 08:50:14 AM »

My main understanding is, ideas are easier to come by then ability. Most of the people with ability have their own ideas and aren't trolling around forums looking for something to grab their attention. Not to say that something won't, but even then, starting with someone else's idea where you have no involvement other then interest it's hard to stick it out.

You make another good point. Also in any project i undertake to let everyone have a part in the idea development process because i would expect the same from them.In my eyes,a coder isn't always just a coder (etc.) in an independent project nor should he be.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 08:57:37 AM »

Yea I agree with Eric and Gainsworthy, I apologize for posting such a short post but I am trying to brute force my current project into beta, so my responses have been a bit brief Tongue  glad it's led to a vaguely helpful conversation though!

cup full of magic charisma
Vlad Shadeu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 03:57:32 PM »

I created some samples of what is currently in the game so as to help convince you i'm not taking any illegal drugs and the project will work fine. The dummy screen was created using game maker out of the base sprites, it compiles the element/character/numbers/etc into a working card by itself.

The Scuffle: Things happening left . and right, two players try to make sense of it all (The backings on the cards are placeholders modded from the Triple Triad backs.)

The Stretch: The current list of character graphics, modded from the RPG Maker 2003 Runtime Package

The BattleField: Current list of boards, the first of which i'm not actually using.
Vlad Shadeu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »

So i've been doing some things i think might flesh out the idea of the system in general. What i realized is that FF8's Triple Triad only really worked because it had a full scale RPG running alongside it. The other thing i thought of was some other games released around some TCGs and the like and realized those had a strong point that FF8 didn't- it focused around the card game. And i also was thinking about a game called Custom Robo Arena and other games with really cool normal, everday NPCs and i came up with these ideas:

This game should have a story mode. I've kind of got some ideas as to how to flesh the areas out, and to base not just the gaming experience, but the world the character lives in, around the cards.

We should have randomly generated NPCs. This serves to add some interestingness to the classic formula, because although NPCs are neat, its sort of inexplicable why we have people who sit at coffee shops for years on end.

Nobody should "Talk" per se. What i was thinking was i have vocal and text-based narration while the characters spoke with what i call "Gabs". Basically, Sims had something like this. Although they spoke Simlish (my characters won't speak) they had little thought/speech bubbles depicting their conversation. What i was imagining was a system made entirely on symbols, so characters could convey tons of emotion with quite a bit of variety and have the players fill in the rest.

We should make friends. One of my other genius expansions to build a story mode was the idea of a "friend" system. Essentially, if you saw an NPC that you liked the looks of (or just thought was sorta cool by some other means) you could elect to place them as a friend, aquaintance, or enemy. This way the game could have some set of recurring characters, people who stuck around and helped build the story. They would appear beside the random populace with familiar looks and a constantly evolving set of emotions and cards, a way to build drama. Friends could lend a hand by offering spare cards and enemies could offer challenges. Perhaps even evolve into dating partners and rivals.

mini games. Sometimes people get tired of the slog of a normal game and want a change of pace. i propose to offer this by placing along Mini Games to gain Raw Materials, Cards, and Money. I thought of these already:
Beach-Go hunting by the seashore for shells and rocks. The waves will constantly come and sweep away the prizes, perhaps even knocking your character over.
Forest- A grid of tiles appears. You get a certain number of "digs", chances to flip over the tiles. Find branches, leaves, twigs, maybe even cards.
Cemetary- Basically one giant, complex button smash game to try and call together enough spirit energy to make something out of nothing.

Synthesis. Upon reading my last one, you probably wondered what good shells are. My proposition is to allow people to Synthesize cards together a la the KH series..

Event Prizes. Basically there will be a shop in the Cemetary (Ran by ghosts) that allows you to unlock cards based on events you've triggered with your NPC friends/enemies/whatever. However, you will have to buy them after completing the event, thus allowing you to have more than one copy.Examples:
"Triton"-retrieved by completing the event "The Sea King Cometh!". Anger a mermaid enemy to the point where they call upon their king, then beat Triton.
"Champion"-retrieved by beating the game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic