Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:15:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBlack blood fountains and horse
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Black blood fountains and horse  (Read 6432 times)
waruwaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 10:29:25 PM »

Doubtful that someone would try to remake this game. It'd probably be very hard to grasp the same feeling unless you made a simple port.

It's just not the same to climb up giant naked man's legs to stab his weak points.  Wink
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 11:30:38 PM »

My favorite thing about Shadow of the Colossus was the parallels between the story and the backdrop of the game, the story's central theme was one of desperation and loneliness and this is beautifully reflected in the barren but beautiful surroundings  in the game.

I would buy a PS2 again just to play this game again.

...it's proof that games which feature nothing but boss battles can be technically feasible and fun (for those that didn't get to play Alien Soldier)

I had never played Alien Soldier before but they released it on the Virtual Console and I must say that game is all kinds of awesome Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 05:35:04 AM »

I'm surprised noone has mentioned the journeying yet.  There are huge distances to travel between the temple and each Colossus, so you end up spending great amounts of time doing essentially nothing but riding around enjoying the sights, specially the first time when you don't know where anything is (apart from what the map and sword-beam can tell you).  This sounds like it would be a bad thing, but it really wouldn't be the same game without all the riding around.  Some places you're just passing through really are beautiful.  It's setting the atmosphere, and there's also the sense of scale again; huge distances, huge Colossuses..   and the contrast!  From a peaceful gallop through the barren wastelands while the camera pans you and your beloved (horse) friend to a corner of the screen, composing beautiful scenes while you're anticipating the waiting Colossus or maybe just simply enjoy your ride, to the desperate battle to the death against an almost invulnerable being several orders of magnitude bigger than you, only armed with your sword and bow.  Climbing around at deadly heights, searching for the weak spots while the Colossus tries to shake you off, finally driving the sword home, and the mixed feelings of triumph and despair when you eventually bring down another one.  Then back to the journey, towards the next one.

Shadow of the Colossus is an experience.

(I rather liked it, yeah.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:36:43 AM by mjau » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 11:50:42 AM »

Colossuses

Colossi

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Spincut
Level 1

Playing the games you make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 02:54:22 AM »

**THAR BE SPOILERS AHEAD**

Going back to what was said about Aeris vs. Agro, I think Agro is felt more because of the great sense of loneliness the game invokes. In FF7, you're constantly surrounded by others. In SotC, however, it's just you, your horse, and a dead girl. Losing one of those just cut down your amount of acquaintances greatly.

Something I really liked about the game is the story, and the parts that the developers decided not to include. Things that would seem very key to the story are simply not told, such as why the boy would sacrifice his very soul to save this girl. Who is this boy? Instead, you're forced to paint your own picture of what you think happened, making each person's experience different, and, in my opinion, a bit more personal.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 08:43:53 AM »

... you're forced to paint your own picture of what you think happened, making each person's experience different, and, in my opinion, a bit more personal.

That is much of what art is, especially from a deconstructionist or postmodern perspective. If an artist produces a work that encourages or invokes non-explicit meaning or emotion, it is "good" art. So, SotC is not only art but a good work of art. Also, as we can see from the many positive responses in this thread, it's enjoyable art.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 02:47:41 PM »

... you're forced to paint your own picture of what you think happened, making each person's experience different, and, in my opinion, a bit more personal.
Without going too far off topic or into spoiler land, that's a lot of what made Portal so excellent as well.

Or Cave Story, while we're at it.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 03:25:56 PM »

The design of the collossi is great and I think unique, atleast I haven't seen anythink like it.

The colossi reminded me a lot of Aztec sculptures (especially #14). But hairier.

I'm surprised that there aren't more games with an Aztec-ish look, actually. They had a very distinctive artistic style which could spice up a lot of games with boring settings we've seen 1000 times before.

And yes, it's worth buying a PS2 for SotC alone.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 03:50:31 PM »

Sorry to go off topic, but... You have a Planescape quote in your signature!
HIGH FIVE!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2007, 04:07:43 PM »

My entire belief system is based off of Planescape: Torment.

I could not have had a better teacher.

So anyways, SotC is real cool.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2007, 04:19:11 PM »

Planescape: Torment owns at existence through infinity.

There, now back on topic. Tongue

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 01:40:52 PM »

I've gotten about 2/3rds through this game and I adore it, but not as much as a lot of you folks it seems.

I found the map a bit ambiguous and the whole light sword compass irritating at times. I spent hours bumming around same-y looking cliff-faces looking for a change in the landscape that I could bust into and fight. Some of the battlegrounds are uninspired,giant airdisk over a lake?WTF? but some are sublime, fight with the water bird at the hidden like... wow.

I will come back to it probably in a new year with my game design as art cap on.

*SPOILAR*
I really didn't like the fruity boss you had to beat with fire, he was tiny and I felt not too frightening, and to much like a puzzle. I want the Collossi to be unstoppable frightening juggernauts not some weirdo rhyno-cat that has irrational fears.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »

*SPOILAR*
I really didn't like the fruity boss you had to beat with fire, he was tiny and I felt not too frightening, and to much like a puzzle. I want the Collossi to be unstoppable frightening juggernauts not some weirdo rhyno-cat that has irrational fears.
#11 is, by far, my least favorite colossi. He's just a cheap, wimpy little bastard.

But look on the bright side. You're almost to #13, which is among my favorites.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »

My favorite colossus? The second to the last one where you have to jump on the fucking thing's hand to get to the glyph. You don't even know how pissed off I was playing that colossus. But in the end I would have to say that it was definitely by far the most challenging colossus (for me at least). Maybe I am just masochistic but I love a game that makes me want throw my controller...:D

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2007, 06:21:13 PM »

**THIS IS GETTING OLD! ALSO, SPOILERS**

The two small colossi were probably meant for variety. They're small, but still frightening with how fast they move, and still a few times bigger than you. The 14th is well known for his "noob-combo" (at least I heard it was called that way), which is when it rams you continuously with little chance of you getting away from it til you die. Happens when you first face him a lot.

The colossi I love the most are the 4th because of how he looks/acts/sounds, the 5th because of the actual fight and his environment, the 13th because for me it's the most epic, with you chasing him across the desert sands on horseback (felt like watching a good adventure movie), and the 14th because his environment is very pretty and the fight is focused around some fun platforming. Plus he's cute when he's angry at you from taking arrows to his face. Azn

The ones I hate the most are the 12th because the prerequisites to actually getting onto his weak spot are just plain annoying to pull off (though I like his odd 'eyes') and the 15th because it's annoying the get on him, to reach his hand vital, and because the bastard WON'T FUCKING STOP MOVING. Honestly, the 16th was less bothersome than he was, even with the shady last bit that you have to do to reach his vital.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 06:24:37 PM by Melly » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic