Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:27:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to find a programmer?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: How to find a programmer?  (Read 5440 times)
gustav
Fez Nonbeliever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2009, 07:11:42 AM »

I've decided to take things to a new level and begin work on bigger and better things. For this, I'll need a programmer for eventual employment or partnership.

Since I've never worked with a programmer before, I would appreciate advice on how to find one. Perhaps some of you have been in similar situations with happy ends? Hm?

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 08:08:45 AM »

Aye, programmers are a strange, rare breed. First thing you need to do is wait till a night with a full moon. I'd say get things set up around dusk just so you're prepared.

Next you'll need some nylon mesh netting, a copy of PC World, and a live chicken. It helps if it's that month's current issue of PC World, and the chicken should just be the right age, coming out of it's adolescent stage and into adulthood. This is key because the blood is far stronger and potent.

Set the net overhead and prepare the chicken in a box with easy access. You'll need a table there, as well, to lay the chicken onto.

Wait until the full moon is bright in the sky. Take the chicken out of the box, and hold it over your head for approximately 10 seconds. Lay the chicken down flat on the table and cut it's head off.

Immediately after cutting the chickens head off, with the blood, write  "#include <iostream>" onto the table. Also, repeat "#include <iostream>" out loud 10 times (this is the most important part)

You should then start to hear noises of bad congestion, sinus problems, or in rare cases the huff of an inhaler! Now you're close!

Now Hold the chicken's body over your head once more and put the finishing touches onto the spell by saying:

cout << "Hello World!"
cout << "Hello World!"
cout << "Hello World!"
cout << "Hello World!"
cout << "Hello World!"

At this time you should quickly throw the chicken's body on the table and move out of the way. You have about 1 minute to get out of the way or you will get gored to death. Sidestep away from the table and as soon as you see thick rimmed glasses, or a t-shirt that says "C:\ DOS RUN, RUN DOS RUN" cut the net and let it fall onto the programmer!

Congrats! You've bagged a programmer!

I hope this helps!  Gentleman
Vlad Shadeu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:39:37 AM »

Aye, programmers are a strange, rare breed. First thing you need to do is wait till a night with a full moon. I'd say get things set up around dusk just so you're prepared.

Next you'll need some nylon mesh netting, a copy of PC World, and a live chicken. It helps if it's that month's current issue of PC World, and the chicken should just be the right age, coming out of it's adolescent stage and into adulthood. This is key because the blood is far stronger and potent.

Set the net overhead and prepare the chicken in a box with easy access. You'll need a table there, as well, to lay the chicken onto.

Congrats! You've bagged a programmer!

I hope this helps!  Gentleman

I've always used a rabbit in my ritual.
What did this one program in, Dark Basic?
Perhaps our friend is strong enough in the occult magics to learn to summon a female programmer, the ritual is different for those.
Other than that, i'm sure he'll agree you've been very helpful.
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:35:27 AM »

The answer to your question really changes depending on what you will be doing for this project, what you've done in the past, and who else will be working on the project.

If you are a CEO from a triple-AAA (that's AAAAAAAAA) studio with a long track record of big hits, it's as easy as filling out a job ad in the local paper.

If you are a guy with an idea for a game and not much else, and you have to hire a programmer and an artist... Well, if your idea is really really good, you might not have to beg on every forum.

And there's varying shades in between.

As far as the rituals go, I find offering up a chilled mug of  Beer! happens to attract more than the chickens.

IndieElite4Eva
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 11:20:51 AM »

Finding someone you can work with well is always difficult. If you want someone to program your dream game for you you're best off paying them, and even then it will be a pain. You might be able to convince someone if you are an amazing artist. Your best bet is to learn how to program.

If you just want to collaborate with someone on a game there are lots of programmers out there with half finished projects that need art and polish. In that case find someone you know that can finish a game and has a semi-decent track record and offer to do art for them.

This is all assuming you are an artist, btw. If you're a designer or a writer (ugh) or just a random guy with "great ideas"... Learn how to program or make art.

edit: Saw that you made Blood Boy in MMF, it looks cool.  If you basically need an "engine programmer" and plan to do scripting\art\design yourself it shouldn't be too hard to find someone.  Hopefully this thread will attract some interested parties.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:25:35 AM by Impossible » Logged
travisdunn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:30:38 PM »

The easiest way to attract a partner, be they programmer or otherwise, is to make sure that you yourself are bringing something valuable to the partnership.

Blog: http://www.travisdunn.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rogueship
There is neither speech nor language
but their voice is heard among them
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 04:35:06 AM »

The easiest way to attract a partner, be they programmer or otherwise, is to make sure that you yourself are bringing something valuable to the partnership.

Post some of your best work, talk excitedly about your concept (provided you are genuinely excited about it - if not, bail now!) and be prepared to become an understanding, reliable and hard-working component of the team that you eventually form.

Also: Don't trust people too easily! You don't want to be a dick about it, but make sure the people you're working with will actually keep up their end of the bargain. Prepare some kind of mechanism for dealing with what would happen if they crap out on you. This is really important! Just make sure you've got your ass covered, and you should be alright.

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »

Yeah .. on that note, people always lie as well.

I like turtles.
Kekskiller
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 03:53:36 PM »

This, and a programmer (atleast me) won't start working if there isn't a ready concept or game design document. That's also important for you, because if the programmer thinks it's easy to do/matches his skills but then he suddenly discovers that it's just too big for him, he will code shitty not-working stuff or will need a lot more time to figure out how do it. Without an existing concept, a pure programmer is use- and aimless - he WILL need a motivation to work with you.

You can find programmers on a lot of sites: gamedev communities, coder forums...
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 10:49:33 AM »

Also, because someone has to say it: there are typically a hundred people with game ideas or basic art skills for every one competent programmer. For this reason they can be quite hard to find!

NateDog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »

^^Agrees^^

Also, nothing attracts talent better than talent itself.  Your first step is to put together an online portfolio ... doesn't have to be anything elaborate.  You can even just use a free upload site to start.  But, you have to show a potential partner your skills so they know you're serious and competent. 

Another thing to consider is for your first project you might want to let someone else lead.  It's a lot easier to find programmers if you say "Hey, anyone need some art help for your project?".  At least you'll get something tangible in your portfolio and gain some experience and a programmer contact.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 01:41:50 PM »

I have it! How to find a programmer? Look within.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 04:33:43 PM »

I have it! How to find a programmer? Look within.

Good call--I forgot, I ate a programmer earlier today.

lordmetroid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 05:50:19 PM »

Congratulations, I am a programmer, you have now achieved your goal of finding a programmer...
However if you don't want to make art assets for my game ideas, I am probably not the right programmer for your adventure.

If you do not know a programmer in your social network, chances are slim you will find a programmer to work for you unless you pay the programmer.
leaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 08:24:02 PM »

Play your strengths. If you're extremely good at art, then stick with it and work on it. The better your work is, the more other people will want to work with you, including programmers.
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 01:12:29 AM »

I'm a programmer. I've seen a few awesome posts in the collaboration thread that makes me want to work with that artist, but they seem to get snagged pretty fast.
After my current project is completed, I will try to find a talented pixel artist to work with and will probably post in that thread then.

So if others are like me, read that thread and/or post in it. If you're lucky, you'll find someone who likes your style.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 03:50:37 AM »

I'm a programmer too, post awesome, commercial level art from your portfolio and we can deal. Simple as that..
Or if you're not an artist but a game designer wannabe post your idea and then let's have a talk about your budget  Gentleman

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 06:06:39 AM »

*snip snip*

I think you are making this overly complicated. If you've got the time to wait you just need to write a hacky (and I mean seriously hacky, preferably write some really obvious syntax errors in there too) looking bit of code, post it up in a public place and wait nearby with an elephant gun loaded with Tranquillizers. Undoubtedly the note will attract at least one concerned programmer who you can knock out with a tranquillizer dart and drag off. The only caveat to this method is that generally they only appear at night, you you'll need to make sure the location is well lit or you have the advantage of night vision.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 07:39:18 AM »

lol, that one as actually something true  Tongue

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
ASnogarD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »

I would imagine posting a " How to program in C++ , the proper way tutorial "...and write the code in BASIC, and see the responses would net you a few irate programmers  :D

Somethings are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic