Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:49:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to find a programmer?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How to find a programmer?  (Read 5399 times)
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 11:50:55 AM »

I can't help you find a programmer, but if you want to get along with them I suggest learning some programming your self. Maybe not enough to make a game in your own right, but enough to know what is and is not possible. The last thing you want is to be 1/2 way thought your design pitch when the programmer starts shaking his head and telling you your design is either impossible or well beyond their skills and assets. Just like how it is easier to get along with artists if your directions to them are more like "elongate the face and put more rust on the armor" than "that doesn't look quite right fix it."

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 02:50:25 PM »

I would imagine posting a " How to program in C++ , the proper way tutorial "...and write the code in BASIC, and see the responses would net you a few irate programmers  :D
EEEEV-IL. Like the fru-its of the dev-il.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 04:12:07 PM »

I would imagine posting a " How to program in C++ , the proper way tutorial "...and write the code in BASIC, and see the responses would net you a few irate programmers  :D
You wouldn't even have to write the code in BASIC. Just use any coding style in C++ and you'll get plenty of irate programmers advocating every other style.
gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »

Arne has many examples of concept docs that get me quite excited and interested. Take a look at his recent MOO remake doc for a good example: http://androidarts.com/spaceconquest/gamedesign.htm

As for some general tips I have found to be useful in forming a healthy team of any number:

Show initiative.
Take an active and open disposition.
Assume nothing is chiseled in stone.
Be fair to yourself and others.
Set your own rules rather than blindly following someone elses.

LAN Party List - The definitive LAN party list. Also Game Jams, etc.
GitHub
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 07:16:18 PM »

Show initiative.
Take an active and open disposition.
Assume nothing is chiseled in stone.
Be fair to yourself and others.
Set your own rules rather than blindly following someone elses.

It wasn't game development, but back when I was writing for webcomics I managed to attract an artist by using the methods mentioned above - I pretty much just started posting bits of my concept pitch for the comic on a related forum, and kept going until someone spoke up that liked it and wanted to work on it.

That said, a programmer is going to be a lot more discerning than a webcomic artist regarding whether you actually have an idea about how to make games from start to finish or not - ideas, as has been said, are a dime a dozen, but someone having the ability to follow their idea through to completion is much rarer.

Also I'm guessing most indie programmers, if they do agree to work with you, will definitely prefer the creative relationship to be contributory as opposed to you directing the production. For instance, the idea for the project that I'm working on was pitched by an artist friend to me, and sounded good enough to go ahead on, but it's evolved so far from that original pitch due to both of our ideas and input that it barely resembles the original document.

HTH!

PS: I find that when I'm on the hunt, a sacrificial squirrel usually does it for me - but that's just a personal preference.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic