Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:01:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBelow the surface
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Below the surface  (Read 21673 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 09:50:15 AM »

In terms of saving - When you save, is it a one time save, ala roguelikes? Or can you use it whenever you want, however many times you want, ala mostly everything else? I would do one of the more restrictive save systems, with a quicksave (only loads the next time you play) wherever you wanted.

That sort of saving system would be a bit too cruel to the players, I think, because the game area is very big and contains bosses and such that can easily kill you. The game resembles more Super Metroid than Roguelike. (I quite like that concept, but I know that people wouldn't like it!)

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 12:33:03 AM »

Just a quick pic of the tileset Cosmic_Fool made:

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 01:26:46 AM »

I was thinking saving should be free but teleporters should cost money. The likely side-effect of that would be that nobody would use teleporters, though.
alspal
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 01:56:33 AM »

Penalising the player for saving has never been good.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 02:10:41 AM »

Just a quick pic of the tileset Cosmic_Fool made:

uhm, it looks great but doesn't work so well with 1 tiles height passages... you should use tiles without stalactites on that one, ask Cosmic_Fool if he can make variations on the ceiling tiles without stalactites, of maybe he could do darker stalactites if they doens't have collisions.
At the moment looks like the tunnel is blocked, as the stalactices looks like they are on front, not on the background
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:14:19 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
alspal
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 02:26:12 AM »

perhaps if the grey blocks were behind the stalactites it might look nicer
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 08:29:11 AM »

uhm, it looks great but doesn't work so well with 1 tiles height passages... you should use tiles without stalactites on that one, ask Cosmic_Fool if he can make variations on the ceiling tiles without stalactites, of maybe he could do darker stalactites if they doens't have collisions.
At the moment looks like the tunnel is blocked, as the stalactices looks like they are on front, not on the background

I'll say about that to Cosmic_Fool, though I don't see a problem with how it is currently.

Updated the map with some new stuff, like a new area and a new tileset. 'New tileset' means basically that a part of the world is now even harder to see!

Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 07:03:20 PM »

Or perhaps I could not rework that tileset, which is a time consuming process, and simply recommend that:

a) the stalac-ites break when they have the boxed pushed through them, but this may complicate the gameplay.

b) Recolour the stalac-ites a less intrusive darker colour.

EDIT: Woaaahh that sounds snarky.  I think the intention always was to make the stalac-ites not part of the roof, an honour reserved for the very big, much bigger than whats there, stalac-ites.
Grif
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 07:20:49 PM »

If you still need tilesets you could try straight up asking Arne, he might be interested since you've pretty obviously stayed reasonably close to the source material (especially the giant-map idea)

oh yeah PS this looks awesometacular and all your games are awesometacular anyways soooooooo
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:29:38 PM by Grif » Logged
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 02:37:55 AM »

If you still need tilesets you could try straight up asking Arne, he might be interested since you've pretty obviously stayed reasonably close to the source material (especially the giant-map idea)

oh yeah PS this looks awesometacular and all your games are awesometacular anyways soooooooo

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

haha, I think my game wouldn't be good enough for Arne. x)

I tried at first to stay close to the Exile concept stuff, but this became rather soon more like your generic metroidvania than exile redesign. I'll really want to do a more free pcg one after this though!

letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »

This game looks great, I wanna play. Crazy

Anyway, on saving. You could have it be like you have to be stationary, on the ground, with no hazards within a certain distance of yourself. You could give saving a cooldown, if frequency is your biggest worry. But yeah, don't penalize the player for saving.

Marcos_del_bauer
Level 0

My Awesome Skills

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 09:02:13 PM »

Holy Thunder! That all looks pretty awesome to me.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 10:46:24 AM »

Once again, updated the map with some new tilesets and such.

Oh darn, there doesn't seem to be anything to say. Maybe I'll update here some new enemies once I create them.

Cosmic_Fool's been a bit sick and busy, so I haven't got yet all the tilesets. After all of them are in, I'll start adding environmental details and decorations and stuff like that. I also got some interesting feedback from Cascade saying the game isn't fun, which I must fix in the form of some new collectables (not weapons though) or something. I'd like the game to be fun enough that someone actually plays it through.

I also added today a secret message that probably no-one will get to read. Ever.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 01:08:26 PM »

I also added today a secret message that probably no-one will get to read. Ever.

I take that as a challenge!
But I'll probably forget by the time the games done.
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »

Yes. I have been immensely sick.  And I am sick today, but I took the time to finish something off.

Yes, I'm gonna rework the stand alone tile.  I don't like shading tilesets; it gives me headaches. 

But overall I'm happy with it.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 05:36:40 AM »

i love to put easter eggs in my games :] a guy on Newgrounds posting a 10/10 review of Darkbase: Incubation saying that he even managed to discover the hidden Dopefish in the game made my day

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2009, 06:15:52 AM »

I think I'd like to commit to making a jungle/grassy tileset, but I don't think I'll be able to work on it for about a week.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 08:10:33 AM »

I think I'd like to commit to making a jungle/grassy tileset, but I don't think I'll be able to work on it for about a week.

That's good Smiley no need to hurry.
Great, thanks Cosmic_Fool! I can finally finish tiling that area! Smiley
There're a couple more tilesets to add, and after that I'll start balancing the game and adding new features. Smiley

Eclipse: I love easter eggs too but I'm far too good at hiding them! :D

Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:15 AM »

Wont all these different styles of tilesets kinda clash? Some of them seem to have more detail, different resolution, different shading styles. I think it will end up looking pretty jarring...
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »

Wont all these different styles of tilesets kinda clash? Some of them seem to have more detail, different resolution, different shading styles. I think it will end up looking pretty jarring...

Actually they look quite fine currently. Granted, the rocky brown tileset by cosmic_Fool has a bit more contrast than the others, but it doesn't really look that bad. I have to think though how to make the area connection points; I should maybe pixelate some semi-tiles that have features from the tilesets of both areas or something.

Talking about clashing, Arachne wanted to make a tileset and sent me this:

I was and am still like Shocked , and it's a terrible thing that I can't use such a gorgeous tileset in the game because it's too good, and I wouldn't want to ask Arachne to redo all the 800+ objects in the game with her style! :D Anyway, she was kind and did a low-quality version:

That fits a lot better and I think it still looks cool. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic