Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:33:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBelow the surface
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Below the surface  (Read 21676 times)
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2009, 04:32:57 PM »

Without a doubt, the first one.

MaloEspada
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2009, 05:45:41 PM »

I also vote for the first one. Less saturated, doesn't take away the player's attention.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »

I agree. 1st picture.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »

faust.

Afinostux
Level 2

Forgotten Beats

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2009, 06:30:25 PM »

Funny, I like the third one.

Keep in mind, the other way to get the player's attention is movement, and honestly there are a deluge of fine pixel arts with washed out backgrounds out there. Washing out the background visually diminishes its importance, which might be counter to what your goals with an exploration game. Depends on what you want the player to notice.

It's a trend that was sort of started by cave story and knytt (also fine exploration games), but it's not the only way to do it by any means. Basically, think of what you want to convey rather than what looks good in screenshots.

alspal
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2009, 08:24:45 PM »

I think the last one is the best, seems to have the best distinction between foreground/background.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2009, 10:18:31 PM »

I agree with ZeuglinRush. The last one.  The second one is good too, I would probably say that I prefer that one if I saw it in action (playing moving and jumping around, and enemies). But you can't go wrong with the third one.
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2009, 03:13:18 AM »

The first one. I think it makes perfect sense to use low contrast for backgrounds, not because everyone else is doing it, but since we associate low contrast with distance. That's how it is in nature, after all. A landscape will fade as you get more air in between it and the viewer.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2009, 05:57:18 AM »

I like the third one for a different reason - because it's darker it looks more like it's deep underground, whereas the upper two look more like they could be just below the... er... the surface...

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2009, 08:23:38 AM »

Thanks for all these wonderful comments! It seems though that the opinion scatters a bit, especially between the first and the third one. I guess I'll go with the first one, but make the tiles a tad darker and more contrasted; they look quite reddish and chocolatey at the moment.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2009, 01:12:04 AM »

I think the background should be a lot darker, so it's good to hear you are doing that.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2009, 01:51:30 AM »

I think the background should be a lot darker, so it's good to hear you are doing that.

Actually I meant the wall tiles. Oh well.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2009, 07:54:18 PM »

Hey, it's nice to see this coming along. Keep up the good work!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2009, 08:37:42 PM »

That black detail in the bkg, you should have more of that. I think that all the middle pieces should be like that, so the blue stones are just borders around the actual terrain. Kind of thick borders, though, like in that first screenie.

This is because the rocks can look repeated, but the blue can not. The colour is great!

Also, this is looking super incredible Hand Thumbs Up Left Wink
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2009, 09:44:54 PM »

Hempuli mind sharing any details on the tech. behind this? I didn't see any on the past posts but what framework/API/libs and language are you using to dev this? It's looking dangerously delicious at the moment. Great job as always Hempuli.

Gentleman

deathtotheweird
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2009, 11:39:21 PM »

I am half sure that he is using MMF. He did for some of his other games at least, just taking a guess.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2009, 09:00:01 AM »

Indeed, it's MMF 2. So nothing else to add there, I fear. Yes yes, MMF's all lame and why I don't use Construct right yeah. Grin

JLJac: That is a nice suggestion! But does the background tile look too repetitive? I thought of using it as the background and then adding some separate, bigger stones near the borders as detail backdrops.

Oh, and about the game: I haven't wanted to work on the other parts until all the tilesets are in, so I'll still have to wait a bit until Cosmic_Fool can start working on them again. O've already added and changed some enemies though, and also planned a lot.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2009, 03:32:11 AM »

What news?
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2009, 11:03:24 AM »

What news?

In a week Cosmic_Fool'll be able to start working on the rest of the tilesets, until then the game will be quite much frozen. Don't worry, not going to abandon this! I've got a nice amount of ideas ready for it. Smiley

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »

Keep ticking Smiley

Best wishes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic