Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:21:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallBOXGAME
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: BOXGAME  (Read 8153 times)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »

I LOVE the central mechanic/hook but I agree that usually I just relied on luck and got to the end eventually.  Maybe I'm just a lazy player?

One mechanic I didn't like was how jumping at a vertex of the cube, so that you switch sides twice in mid-air, could send you flying a different direction.  It makes sense logically, but as a player it confused me and I never did master it so I could purposefully send myself flying where I wanted to go.  Levels which used this mechanic just had me randomly jumping at the corners until I got the desired result.  Not sure what you could do about this though.

But yeah, very polished and clever.  Was a fun distraction and has made me even more curious about Unity.

tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 03:09:02 AM »

however some levels didn't feel good especially the more complex ones. i had to rely more on luck more than skill because the flipping gets confusing and the camera dosen't show enough. maybe zoom the camera out some more when when flipping perhaps?

You can hold space to zoom out and plan your next move. Getting in a safe freefall and doing this is especially neat because you'll keep orbiting round & round as you scrutinize the level.

back to the luck factor. when your flipping to a location you cant see properly you have to trust that there wont be a instant death or a place that traps you. i had this problem with the later levels so change the design of the level to stop this.

No, don't! The zoomed-out camera is plenty adequate for tracing what path you'll take if you jump where and so on, and I really like there being a few tricky junctions here & there that weigh on the reflexes too.

you can zoom the camera out but that but is disrupt the flow of the game. every time you make a jump you have to pause and plan then jump. it breaks the free flowing nature of the game of running and jumping which i really like except the luck factor that i already complained about.. if thats what girlflash had in mind then by all mean keep it. but it wont be as satisfying imho.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 05:40:16 AM »

i like it a lot Smiley congrats GirlFlash!

Btw what your main project is?  Grin

edit: ok, got it Tongue
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:57:49 PM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 06:27:25 AM »

Nice game, GirlFlash.

The levels build a smooth difficulty curve, and there are only a few occasions where a restart is required (and only at the first levels at that).

To make the space-camera more useful, remove the rotation limit and have it wrap around the level as I continue to press the arrow keys. It'd also be simpler if the space-cam didn't reset back to the character when I rotate with the mouse.

I only learned about space-cam and precise-cam through the forum. You should mention them within the game.

btw there a bug on lv 15. the camera is blocked by the stage at one point.
This happens while standing on the block just to the left of the green arrows. Switching to precise-cam fixes the issue.

Finally, a small bug: While standing next to an open exit, pressing DOWN to rotate the level with space-cam finishes the level.
QXD-me
Level 0

Give me but a modicum of anything

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »

I quite enjoyed it, though I do have some similar complaints about camera that others have had (I'll try that precise camera thingy) and that I ended up 'trial and erroring' it and not thinking things out (my fault entirely). Also, I didn't notice teddy bears or a level 15 when I last played it, which are even more reason to play it again.
Ninteen45
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 03:13:11 PM »

as much as is makes me feel sad that this game is plotless and short, I see this possibly becoming somthing of a really popular commercal game if you can advertize it right.

If I missed somthing, sorry.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 09:19:06 AM »

It got mentioned on Rock, Paper, ShotgunWell, hello there!
jazmeister
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 10:57:58 AM »

I think this is a good game. I shall go into detail elsewhere, I think.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »

I really enjoyed it. Reminded me of how great 3D games can be if you use it to an advantage. Last time I felt like that was when I played Portal.  Hand Clap
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic