Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 11:17:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeNeed ideas!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need ideas!  (Read 2231 times)
Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2009, 01:59:39 PM »

Well, I started making a basic engine, and added in some orb lighting and such, and now, I need to think of some point to all these flashy lights! (literally) I'm thinking of certain things like perhaps a shooter involving infiltrating massive ships or maybe a roguelike (but if that's the case I will have to most likely use a tileset since I am not the best artist as you can see.) Anyways, here is a screenshot of what I have so far:

And here is a link to the playable tech demo so far: http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=tvk7rv75yhf
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:23:38 AM by Epitaph64 » Logged

Seth
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »

stealth hide in shadows assassin roguelike
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »

Strategy game where you have to build lights to keep the monsters at bay?

Also I wouldn't put yourself down as an artist too much - I think the tiles in that screenshot look quite nice.

Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 08:54:04 PM »

Thanks Smiley I tried to make them look decent enough, though it took awhile to make them sadly. I'm adding more feature to the engine haha, and I kind of like the idea of keeping monsters at bay. I was somewhat thinking of a game where you have to scavenge materials to try and survive a disaster, except you won't know what it might be. So you will have to prepare for pretty much everything (i.e. floods by building a raft, underground shelter for nuke attack, lol.)

Yeah, I think that when it comes to games, I tend to put a lot of my effort into programming/art/etc but I never put enough into design or planning haha. Because I'm always the one who makes a ton of boring uninspired games, instead of the one with all the ideas who never makes anything Tongue

EDIT: made a little song out of boredom kind of out of the feeling of programming together this engine without a plan haha. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/262265
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:05:23 PM by Epitaph64 » Logged

JosephCh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:57:07 PM »

your engine link is dead  Cry

tmth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 08:42:45 AM »

stealth hide in shadows assassin roguelike
I'd play it.

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 08:51:32 AM »

I think that look would work *awesome* for a roguelike!

Also, I like the idea of a strategy game where you build lights to keep monsters at bay. So much that I might try to put something together, at some point, if you don't.

Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 09:24:24 AM »

Okay, I fixed the link. Anyone know of any more reliable file hosting sites?

New screenshot showing ambient lighting now: http://validopinion.wordpress.com/2009/08/08/junk-engine-r4/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:27:18 AM by Epitaph64 » Logged

poorwill
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 09:08:10 PM »

I had an idea for a game where you control a light that attracts moths you have to lead through an obstacle course (the goal could be the moon, I guess).  I'll never make it so feel free to use any of the ideas:

The light gets smaller and smaller as it gets hit by raindrops.  When you reveal a moth with the light, it follows the flame around.  If the moths leave the radius of the light, they lose interest until they're lit up again, but if they touch the flame, they die ( or something - maybe they could lose their wings so they have to crawl?).  The moths also orbit the flame though so if, say, drops of rain are falling they act as a rotating shield.  You could use the light to light candles which serve as a restart point if you flame is extinguished.

Anyway, just an idea.  I had it when my screen attracted an irl moth (my desktop is white and the lights were off. 
You could have a 'freestyle' mode where you actually use real moths!
Honestly, the reason I'm not going to make it is that I wasn't real high on the idea.  I think I'd rather play a roguelike.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:11:36 PM by poorwill » Logged
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 10:04:09 PM »

You need elusive reptilian beasts skittering at the boundaries between light and dark.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic