Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:05:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeat Line
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Heat Line  (Read 34896 times)
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 12:24:43 PM »

Alright, so here is a screen shot at full resolution to see if you guys think i should redo the sprite for the main guy at a bigger size. (I can easily scale up the terrain to match- its all painted in photoshop at a MUCH higher resolution.) The green boxes are just test GUI items to make sure the class is functioning correctly.

The new snow, ice and water tiles are in effect here as well. You can also see I started adding more detail to the rock wall tiles- but only on the facing forward tile so far...the rest will match soon.

http://www.andrewhull.com/pics/heatline03.jpg

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:27:54 PM by astrospoon » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 12:53:47 PM »

Why not just let the player zoom?
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 01:21:02 PM »

Why not just let the player zoom?

I actually implemented a zoom feature today too. I can stand zooming up to 1.25x but past that zee blur burns my eyes. You know I'm allergic to low resolutions Derek Smiley

Devlin
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 01:30:16 PM »

Not everyone has a monitor capable of 1280x1024 though(I do!). Have you considered a lo-rez version for the people without super big monitors?
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »

Alright, so for a variety of reasons, the game now runs at 1024x768. Hurray! I think pretty much anyone will be able to run this res, and it will work windowed for some people, which I know they like. I think at this resolution I should be able to keep the sprite as is, which will make doing all the spriting go much faster, as 8 directions = suck.

I also worked a bit on the HUD today, as well as veering towards a more cartoony style. I did a much more realistic looking version of the cliff walls, and it started looking like Command and Conquer or something. (Getting the cliff wall to match up perfectly has proven to be a huge pain in the ass though.) I think the more colorful graphics will suit my style better anyway:

Actual Size: www.andrewhull.com/pics/heatline04.jpg

Look OK?

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »

I like it!
I'm glad you went with more cartoony

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 09:14:09 PM »

I like it!
I'm glad you went with more cartoony

Agreed. This style is far better.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 09:59:29 PM »

I really like that, man!  Trees look really great.  Can't wait to drive the van around!
EchoP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 10:11:14 PM »

The original looked amazing but going cartoon is a huge improvement. Looks absolutely astonishing!
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 07:13:01 AM »

So, something seems to have happened with the game perspective on this page of the thread as compared to the last page; it seems to have gotten slightly tilted. I can't say I've seen that effect in any modern (read: not mode 7) 2D games. Looks nice.

Also, yeah, the game does look a lot more appealing with the new cartoon graphics. The style reminds me slightly of the Orisinal flash games, but more saturated.
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 10:53:28 AM »

Adore the new style. I love how everything looks like it could be from a pop-up book, should contrast nicely with what looks to be a pretty grim setup.

In short, colour me excited!  Beer!
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 07:18:55 PM »

Woooo! I'm glad everyone is liking the new look as much as I am.  Hand Shake Left Grin Hand Shake Right

I finally worked out a good way of handling the cliff graphics so the seams are pretty much impossible to see. There are a few cases that look *slightly* off, but I'm gonna leave them alone for now. I also did a final texture for the RV (much different look than the original quicky texture...) and got it into the game. But you still can't actually drive it yet. Sad

Forum sized:

Full sized:
www.andrewhull.com/pics/heatline05.jpg

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 07:44:26 PM »

the cliffs and RV look awesome, keep it up

JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 08:34:16 PM »

"texture"? Is that van a 3D model? My mind has been blown.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 08:43:37 PM »

seriously, these environments are looking brilliant, and combined with the actual game concept it's blowing my mind!
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »

"texture"? Is that van a 3D model? My mind has been blown.

The van is a sprite in the game. (It is all 2d) But i made the sprite by rendering a 3d model so I didn't have to hand draw each of the 16 different directions.

seriously, these environments are looking brilliant, and combined with the actual game concept it's blowing my mind!

I'm glad... Although really, this is only one "environment"--the random level generator is doing all of the layout work for me Smiley I haven't even done too much artwork all told yet.

Adore the new style. I love how everything looks like it could be from a pop-up book, should contrast nicely with what looks to be a pretty grim setup.

haha... yeah. It will be interesting to see how the relatively dire situations work with the chidlren's book style art Smiley It is going to be a strange balancing act. I want to keep the game family friendly, and yet your wife might end up getting mauled to death by a polar bear. Should be fun to figure out at least Smiley

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 09:24:19 PM »

Looks good, except that the front of the RV is waaaaaay too long.  Or the front tires are too far back or something:

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 09:32:11 PM »

that thing is super awesome. And yeah, the front part is too long. Sad Should be an easy fix at least.

Its funny, b/c one of the RV upgrades in my notes here is for solar panels.

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 01:24:01 AM »

Clever use of perspective object, really. Did you use viewport for zoom?

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 04:30:55 AM »

I used neither actually.... I'm using pixel shaders to add the perspective and zoom. You can do the same thing with the perspective object, but it will be kind of jagged. I can't take credit for the idea for the effect though. I stole it from Streetwise: http://gamesare.com/developers/dev/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=50.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 04:38:40 AM by astrospoon » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic