Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:49:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWe Want YOU @ wewantyou.quicksandgames.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: We Want YOU @ wewantyou.quicksandgames.com  (Read 25760 times)
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »

The parts where it rains, I mean.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I'll see about adjusting the lower limit for the randomized "lighting" so it won't get quite as dark in the rain anymore.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »

the music is definitely not atmospheric. its terribly produced as is sounds too.. whats the word.. homemade? i guess... and when it loops it doesn't connect or properly. sorry for the bad music terminology i know nothing about music.. all i know is that i had to turn the music down because it got really annoying and repetitive.

Did you download the music pack? The music that's stored in the game is in MIDI format, so it's not nearly as good. It sounds different on different sound cards, and it doesn't fade or loop properly. That's the reason for the music pack. I made it a separate download so that people can check out the gameplay before deciding whether or not to get the better music files. If you did download the music pack and put it in the right folder, then I'm not sure what's going on with the looping.

Also, the music is home-made. It's also all digital, because I have yet to find a good way to record my keyboard, guitar and drums without sound distortion and a huge amount of white noise in the background. The MIDI stuff isn't ideal, but it's the best I can do at the moment.

i downloaded the music pack and its much better. =] i take back my "homemade" critic what i meant to say that was that it felt unprofessional because the music doesnt loop properly and it sounded compressed. but the music pack fixed that problem. now it sounds more atmospheric. however i still think i repetitive..

As for everything else you said, well, there are reasons for everything we've done (music style, movement speed, etc.) because it is partly an "art game". We care a lot about gameplay, but every element of the gameplay still has to fit with our idea of what the game is supposed to say.

Just so you know, the game does have more variety than just weapons. Things change and are introduced the deeper you go, and in the next version there will be a lot more. We'll probably make some things show up a little earlier too.

I'm not sure about the problems "moving down one block holes with walls beside it". That's never happened to me in all my hours with the game. Any idea how I can reproduce it?

i love to show you a picture or a video but i don't know how  Embarrassed
teach me please?

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 02:50:38 AM »

Did you download the music pack? The music that's stored in the game is in MIDI format, so it's not nearly as good. It sounds different on different sound cards, and it doesn't fade or loop properly. That's the reason for the music pack. I made it a separate download so that people can check out the gameplay before deciding whether or not to get the better music files. If you did download the music pack and put it in the right folder, then I'm not sure what's going on with the looping.

Oh, I didn't notice there was a HQ music pack as well! I actually really liked the Midi sound, but I'm downloading the full music now... Will come back after trying it^^
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 04:09:15 AM »

Just tried the game with the HQ music, and..it was nice, but I actually prefer the midi music^^; The HQ version was just a tad to soft, and didn't fit as nicely into the whole pixel-artsy world:P
GreatFox
Level 0

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 08:59:49 AM »

I really like this. Here is my second playthrough's last report: http://imgur.com/jCGUM.png

Add seven or something to get real amount.
SteGriff
Level 0

SƟ3:UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 09:24:40 AM »

Kinda feels like 'survival game' is an excuse to throw out any sort objective.

It's a satire on the unendingness of a war instigated with no aim.

btw, I have a broken sound card, which means that the game would crash as soon as the game called any sound into action, so I turned it off in configuration. I think that may have something to do with why the flamethrower doesn't work for me - maybe a different ordering of code regarding sound compared to the other weapons.

The Down-arrow for falling through holes is exactly what I would have suggested. Intuitive. Good call.

I wanna make robots.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2009, 08:30:22 PM »

btw, I have a broken sound card, which means that the game would crash as soon as the game called any sound into action, so I turned it off in configuration. I think that may have something to do with why the flamethrower doesn't work for me - maybe a different ordering of code regarding sound compared to the other weapons.

You found the error for me. Nice job. That probably saved me a lot of time. The flamethrower handles sound differently because it's a looping sound. I made a stupid coding error but it's fixed now and the next release of the game should, hopefully, be coming soon.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2009, 05:08:27 AM »

(...)the next release of the game should, hopefully, be coming soon.

What are the changes, additions, etc?^^
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2009, 07:25:52 AM »

Here's what we have done so far:

- A little surprise at the beginning of the game.
- New, more dynamic enemy types.
- Regular enemies change equipment as time goes on.
- Yearly Review (your score) shows up periodically.
- Score on death/desertion screens.
- New tilesets.
- Bug fixes: Fixed flamethrower sound error, pause errors, etc.
- Press down to fall through a hole.
- Little things: Muzzle flash, improved enemy reactions to fire, etc.

And we're adding and fixing more right now.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 08:04:15 AM by Quicksand-T » Logged

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2009, 07:44:40 AM »

Corny Laugh
F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2009, 12:14:51 PM »

My rec so far (my recorded rec that is, of course) Tongue :

Really looking forward to a real score list^^
SteGriff
Level 0

SƟ3:UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2009, 02:58:00 AM »

Here's what we have done so far:

- A little surprise at the beginning of the game.
- New, more dynamic enemy types.
- Regular enemies change equipment as time goes on.
- Yearly Review (your score) shows up periodically.
- Score on death/desertion screens.
- New tilesets.

And we're adding and fixing more right now.
- Bug fixes: Fixed flamethrower sound error, pause errors, etc.
- Press down to fall through a hole.
- Little things: Muzzle flash, improved enemy reactions to fire, etc.

This list is everything it should be. Good work, chaps. Get that release out here!

I wanna make robots.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2009, 01:17:28 PM »

Sooooo... Update anytime soon?^^;
Dragonmaw
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2009, 04:30:22 PM »

A few things I noticed that could be fixed. I did not read the rest of the thread to see if anyone else suggested such things.

A.) Some sort of item that allows you to move back up. Sometimes you just get shit luck and can't get tents of anything, and it's a pain to keep going. It would be nice if you had a limited-use item that would allow you to scale back up. Ropes, jet-packs, your options are limitless.

B.) The ability to place satchel charges on surfaces other than directly below you, determined by the direction you are pressing. This would be insanely appreciated.

C.) Some sort of pause screen.

D.) Dynamic objectives to complete that add to your score. For example, destroy the fortress, kill the enemies in a certain area, etc.
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2009, 12:22:26 AM »

You want me?  Shocked
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2009, 09:10:58 AM »

It's taking longer than we had planned because we've had lots of unexpected bugs cropping up. But it's coming along.

Dragonmaw, unfortunately because of the way the engine works you can't go up. In order to save processing power everything above you is destroyed as new ground is created below you.

You can pause by pressing P.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2009, 11:30:37 AM »

It's taking longer than we had planned because we've had lots of unexpected bugs cropping up. But it's coming along.

Dragonmaw, unfortunately because of the way the engine works you can't go up. In order to save processing power everything above you is destroyed as new ground is created below you.

You can pause by pressing P.

I don't mean that far up. Just up a little bit, doesn't even have to scroll the screen.

That or make the game a little more compact. It mostly just feels like falling over and over, and less like exploration and combat that I think you are trying to convey.

Also, will we ever see animations? Hell, I'd be willing to work on animations for this, lol. Shows a lot of promise.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2009, 05:16:43 PM »

We Want YOU Public Build 2 - Outwit, Outlast, and Outgun!

NEW FEATURES:
- Expanded storyline and environments!
- New, more dynamic "Runner" enemies!
- Switch between main weapon and one special weapon. Strategic!
- Opening scene surprises!
- Year in Review and new death/desertion screens. What is YOUR legacy?

We also added pressing down to go through holes and fixed the flamethrower sound glitch, as well as a billion other little additions (muzzle flashes!) and balancing (less frustrating gameplay!). Check the included readme for the full change list.

Once again we're looking for bugs, as well as general feedback. When commenting please tell us how far you got (by year). Thanks for playing!

HEROES DOWNLOAD THIS VERSION:
Zshare
Mediafire
WillHostForFood

Optional HQ Music Pack: http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=78710

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 04:45:28 PM by Quicksand-T » Logged

Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2009, 05:49:42 PM »

MediaFire isn't working for me, got any mirrors?
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »

MediaFire isn't working for me, got any mirrors?

I'll upload it somewhere else ASAP.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic