Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:17:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWorld of Football..
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: World of Football..  (Read 3432 times)
Menace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »

Hi, I've been lurking here for some time now and felt like presenting a game that we're working on at Kimera Studios. I hope its ok to show unfinished work - if not I'll just go away and hide somewhere.. Wink

World of Football is a game originally inspired by the old Amiga classic Kick Off by Dino Dini and Steve Screech, and its been a desire of mine to make this game ever since I first played KO2; the game was great back then, still is actually - but in all modesty I felt there were some areas that could be improved.

We're a small team at Kimera Studios - only two guys actually - working only in our spare time. We also work in a un-orthodox way in that we've never met face to face, or even spoken together on the phone. Jad, the programmer of our team, live in Germany, and I live in Denmark, and we use MSN and our forum to discuss all issues regarding our 'company' and our game. We have no funding and development has been going on like this for approximately three years by now and we're grinding away as best we can. We have no deadlines and no ambitions of making it big, although we would like to earn a little by selling our game once its ready. Our main ambition is to have fun doing it, but also produce a good quality game that others will enjoy too.. Trying to keep things simple is also a priority and getting the basics right before we add the pure eye-candy stuff and polish.

We have a custom 3D-engine, a sturdy 'home-made' collision system for the ball, footballers and environment and we're currently working on the game-code; how the game handles conflicts like ownership of the ball, how the winner of a tackle is decided and so on. The game supports USB gamepads, and is designed around the Dualshock analogue controllers, featuring 360 degrees of movement for the footballers.

Our plan is to either self-publish the game online, and the game is currently for PC only. That is only a ressource-based decision - we don't have any Mac or Linux based computers, no dev-kits, or man-power to port it either - I'd love to have the game published on as many platforms as possible though, and maybe one day if the right people get in touch that can happen too. - First we have to get a little more running though!

We have a website, with a developer diary and a forum - http://www.kimerastudios.com/wof/index.html. Things on our forum are a little slow and have been for the last year or so - we've had a lot of interest in the game, and have been very open with our plans - but we also feel that anything we can say have been said a few times already (at our forum) which has probably led to a decline in postings recently. At our developer diary, http://www.kimerastudios.com/wof/blog/, you can find youtube movies showing a little gameplay, but also movies showing the ball collision and other stuff..

I hope its been interesting to read, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have..

Kind regards

Dennis

Dennis Hansen
Project Leader
Kimera Studios
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:44:25 PM »

Do you have a demo somewhere so we can play?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 07:07:54 AM by Guert » Logged

Menace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 02:09:39 AM »

Do you have a demo somewhere so we can play?

Not yet, but we're working on that now.. Hopefully it will be ready in December, but sometime in January is more likely.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 07:08:02 AM by Guert » Logged

Dennis Hansen
Project Leader
Kimera Studios
kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 06:18:15 PM »

This looks great!

Hope to see a demo asap!
Menace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 04:49:22 PM »

Thx! =)

There's an update at our developer diary, including a new gameplay movie..

http://kimerastudios.com/wof/blog/post/index/59/Nearplayable

Dennis Hansen
Project Leader
Kimera Studios
Menace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 05:32:48 AM »

A new movie is available showing early AI - with a defender and a keeper guarding the penalty area and goal.

http://kimerastudios.com/wof/blog/post/index/69/AI-babysteps

Dennis Hansen
Project Leader
Kimera Studios
kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »

Wow! Better then I thought! This looks really awesome, and you are on your way with the a.i. Much work to do of course but this comes along really nice. I think the problem will be (if you choose to do this) have easy, meduim and hard level on the a.i. How lame, stupid will he be?

I'll follow this with great interest!! Good work!!

Menace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 02:28:19 AM »

Thanks! =)

You're right, it's 'easy' to make the AI unbeatable, the hard part is making it look right but making 'wrong' decisions sometimes. There will be levels of difficulty, based mostly on things as reaction time and general awareness and positioning, which is again tied to the individual stats of the AI controlled footballers.

I'm curious about the 'better than I thought' comment - would you care to elaborate?

Dennis Hansen
Project Leader
Kimera Studios
kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:20:43 AM »

Yes of course!

I looked at the gfx mostly. I like the style very much, reminds me of old soccer games (nes system), with the small players. I think that fits very well. Its smooth and looks very tempting, not as I thought Smiley
Menace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »

Ok, so you thought maybe the graphics looked good but doubted the gameplay would also be good?.. Sorry for asking so much, I'm just very interested in understanding how people react to our screenshots and such, and I don't mind admitting that I can never get enough feedback! =)

Dennis Hansen
Project Leader
Kimera Studios
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 02:48:26 AM »

Hm, where you guys from?

Menace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 06:16:41 AM »

I'm Danish and live in Copenhagen, Denmark, and our programmer 'Fivemagics' is living in Germany.

The two of us have actually never met in person or even spoken together on the phone. All contact is via IM and our forum. IM clients with whiteboards are really helpful sometimes! =)

Dennis Hansen
Project Leader
Kimera Studios
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic