Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:39:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoJiroSum [Demo Finished]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: JiroSum [Demo Finished]  (Read 31234 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2009, 11:51:28 PM »

Kweh!  I got something wrapped up and playable!

Every enemy in the game has a numeric value, and every value has an enemy.  You can absorb enemies into the spinning + sign (addition), and then shoot the sum back at other enemies as a negative number (subtraction).  You can absorb up to a set limit (it starts at 10), and shoot through as many enemies as the value totals.  It's best to keep the totals balanced, though, as any leftover negative value will come back at you afterward.

I ran out of time, due to one false start and a few cases of real life taking over.  But it's kinda complete.  Although a little short.
And don't mind the bits of graphics I took from other projects of mine to get this finished.
undertech
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:39:31 AM »

Really cool concept. I love the graphics & sound as well.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:43:23 AM »

Finally a math game!
* hima do the crazy math geek dance

I'll try this game and come back with feedback later Smiley

SteGriff
Level 0

SƟ3:UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 03:00:10 AM »

Airborne surfing fox fighting undead rats with arithmetic. Concept WIN.

I expected, from your description, needing to press number buttons. It is worth telling players the controls and how to play. The gameplay itself is fun.

EDIT: Worked out that the cloud can serve as an r-type style module which can wipe out enemies. That's kind of cool, that a negative play dynamic can be used as a weapon. Good job!

Thanks for the game. Smiley

EDIT2: Oh my goodness I played this some more, and might I say it is fantastic. Absoultely marvellous. You have one of my votes! My Word!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:06:57 AM by SteGriff » Logged

I wanna make robots.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 04:34:53 AM »

This indeed very original, and very fun - I don't think I've ever played a SHMUP quite like this.  You nailed the educational aspect, without anything preachy or detracting from actual gameplay.  Good job!

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 06:44:07 AM »

Inspiring! Reminds me: I must do my co-ordinate based mortar game!

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 07:01:53 AM »

I love this so much. Very creative idea that is well executed! Are you planning on polishing this up and release another version in the future? Also, what did you make this in?

The sprite is adorable also. I assume that the main character is called Jiro? :D

Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 07:41:49 AM »

Haha, this is superb! Very clever twist on the educational shooter game. And as people have mentioned, the fox is pretty adorable. Is he on a flying book? Why are there flying fishes? What kind of crazy math world is this?
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:50:41 AM »

What kind of crazy math world is this?
Math world is abstract and crazy  Well, hello there!

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »

Kweh, thanks!
I'm glad it's being well-received.  I just hope it qualifies enough as "educational".

I love this so much. Very creative idea that is well executed! Are you planning on polishing this up and release another version in the future? Also, what did you make this in?

The sprite is adorable also. I assume that the main character is called Jiro? :D

Heh, he is now!

Thanks!  Yeah, I'd like to polish it up.  The simple one-stage thing here was kind of a last-minute rush.
And it was made in MMF2.

Haha, this is superb! Very clever twist on the educational shooter game. And as people have mentioned, the fox is pretty adorable. Is he on a flying book? Why are there flying fishes? What kind of crazy math world is this?

Yup, fox on a book.  There's a sort of an explanation for it all, with a division by zero and physical representations of numbers mimicking life, or something, but I didn't get to the story aspect.

...And I just updated the game with music credits.  I'm glad TEM let me use his song, as I kinda only just asked him.  Embarrassed
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »

Wow, you've done it again! I've voted for all of your previous entries, and this will be no exception. You've created a very fresh mechanic, and it makes for a really compelling game. Excellent work!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 06:28:47 AM »

Somehow, I missed this one. Now it's going to be even harder to vote.

Seriously this is amazing.

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 06:42:53 AM »

I concur with all the above. This is super cool. The math is totally integral to the gameplay, but you still don't feel like you are learning, and the gameplay is solid shmup fun. It was the same kind of "think and shoot" feeling that Ikaruga had going on with the flipping mechanic, except there are more states to deal with in this one. This rocks Math Blasters so hard.

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 07:25:53 AM »

Damn, this is addictive. And difficult! Shocked

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 04:08:12 PM »

It's fun trying to get the biggest (smallest?) negative number you can. My best is -60.
fishmatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 06:06:40 PM »

I also enjoy this one a lot.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 07:27:44 AM »

Thanks again!

Wow, you've done it again! I've voted for all of your previous entries, and this will be no exception. You've created a very fresh mechanic, and it makes for a really compelling game. Excellent work!

Heh, happy to deliver. Gentleman

It's fun trying to get the biggest (smallest?) negative number you can. My best is -60.

I just tried this; got to about -128 before the thing finally killed me.

Also, I'm wondering if I should have given the player points for the enemies a negative value monster hits, or at least for grinding down the monster with the plus sign.  Right now the only thing that earns points is shooting a negative at positive enemies, and anything to do with the negative monster is points missed.
It might have at least made it so the value upgrade at 500 would be a little easier to get.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »

I can only get to about 300 anyways, but I think getting points from the negative monster is a good idea, and since you wouldn't get points from making the negivive, you would still only get half as many points.
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »

This game was awesome, the most entertaining one. Nice sprites and a very cool concept.

leparlon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 06:07:56 PM »

Among all other games, yours was the one I had more fun playing.
And its very very hard to finish!
Nice work!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic