Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:11:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeLet me code your game!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Let me code your game!  (Read 2311 times)
squidlarkin
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:52:39 PM »

I already posted in the collaboration thread, but I thought a post here might be more visible. I've gotten pretty comfortable with game maker and I'm itching to make a real, finished game but I'm terrible at fleshing out my ideas. Does anyone out there have a clear vision of the game they want to make, but not want to go to the trouble of figuring out how to code it? I'm your guy.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:45:34 AM »

Excellent stuff Smiley

Could you possibly show some example of what you have done? Or perhaps just indicate how "advanced" a game you think you will be able to make?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:51:18 AM »

Um, think you can do this "Monkeys and banks" game? It's very fun, you just, um, take a few pennies from each bank account and divert 'em to my account on one of Swiss banks... Really fun game. Honest.   Ninja
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 02:43:37 PM »

I'm the exact opposite, as I am an artist and a game designer professionally but always end up stumped by coding... So message me if you really are interested in coding a game to the finish line!

Smiley

squidlarkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »

Could you possibly show some example of what you have done? Or perhaps just indicate how "advanced" a game you think you will be able to make?

Fair enough! Here are a few scraps of games I have lying around. (Warning! Programmer art ahead!)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/adzmjwqwytn/squidlarkinsamples.zip

NINJA GUY:
WASD to move, left mouse to slash, right mouse to grapple. I put a lot of work into making the grappling and the wall-jumping feel right. I really want to finish a game with this engine, but I couldn't think up enough content, or even really a goal.

NOT ASTEROIDS:
Arrows move, Z shoots. Points of interest: nifty alpha-blended exhaust trails, nifty parallax starfield, and a smart camera that splits the difference between showing where you're headed and where you're aiming.

ROBOTRONIC:
WASD + mouse again. Pretty straightforward.

So yeah, I want to start with something not too ambitious but reasonably clever. Preferred game types would be arcadey score-based action or something more exploration-based; just going through levels to get to the end doesn't excite me as much. I'd love to do something with procedurally generated levels but I'm not sure I have the chops for that yet.
Vlad Shadeu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 07:45:27 PM »

Well i'm far more ambitious than that, but if you want you should check out the TacTiles thread i made.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic