Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:36:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTower of Heaven - 2Bee Contest Finalist!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Tower of Heaven - 2Bee Contest Finalist!  (Read 38205 times)
godsavant
« on: August 13, 2009, 12:26:15 PM »

THE TOWER OF HEAVEN SPEEDRUN CONTEST WINNERS

Background: A few weeks ago, askiisoft challenged indie gamers worldwide to beat Ben Greenman's record speedrun time of 3 minutes, 30 seconds by 12:00 August 29th, 2009. Many rose to the challenge, and the three top players are:

First Place
DJ Comet, 2:17

Second Place
Jockolantern, 2:18

Third Place
AnarchoElk, 2:18

Congratulations to our winners (please message me with your requests for your prizes), and great thanks to anyone and everyone who played our game. I know how frustrating it can be.  Embarrassed

Prizes:
First Place: A full custom art from yours truly, at your request, with Game Boy colors. No size or subject matter limitations.
Second & Third Place: A custom sketch/lineart from yours truly. No size or subject matter limitations.

DOWNLOAD AND PLAY TOWER OF HEAVEN:

http://www.askiisoft.com/download.php?id=1

And if you like it, please donate a little to askiisoft at our WIP website(http://askiisoft.com/) via Paypal. We'd appreciate it.

---------
KNOWN ERRORS & BUGS:

- For many players, transparent parts of the game screen have failed to render properly, with the screen turning completely black during the second stage, making gameplay impossible. Unfortunately, this is a problem with Game Maker itself, not the gamecode. According to xerus and AGuy, however, this problem can be fixed by either restarting the computer or (if the problem is with the nVidia driver) starting up Fraps, opening the game, and then closing Fraps (no need to record anything).

- There have been verified reports of memory leak within the game; every time the 'Q' key is pressed to restart, around 10 MB of memory is added to the game's total usage. We are working to fix this problem, but until then, please bear with us.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:44:31 PM by godsavant » Logged
The-Imp
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 02:49:24 PM »

Cool a contest to test my skill and accurac-

His fastest time so far has been 3:30
Cry
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »

As a beta-tester, I never got further than the level where you can't look at the rules anymore. I'm such a failure. Cry
The music is the best I've heard in a long, long while. It's a really cool game and you should all play it, then copy the music to wherever you keep your music.  Hand Thumbs Up LeftHand Money LeftWizardHand Money RightHand Thumbs Up Right

godsavant
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 04:22:17 PM »

As a beta-tester, I never got further than the level where you can't look at the rules anymore. I'm such a failure. Cry
The music is the best I've heard in a long, long while. It's a really cool game and you should all play it, then copy the music to wherever you keep your music.  Hand Thumbs Up LeftHand Money LeftWizardHand Money RightHand Thumbs Up Right

Yeah, that one took me about 20+ tries the first time. And I still can't beat the last level I made.

And if you like the music, definitely check out Flashygoodness's Deviantart and remind him how talented he is.
undertech
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »

Very good, hope to actually beat it one of these days.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 06:42:03 PM »

Yeah, that one took me about 20+ tries the first time. And I still can't beat the last level I made.

I found the last level much easier than the previous. Probably because there weren't any fucking butterflies.
Zeke M.
Level 0

hug hug hug

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 07:27:26 PM »

Too short! This game is awesome.  I want to climb for 1000 levels!

Secrets Collected 0/2

Mock Anger!!!

Okay. Fine. You win.
falsion
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:19:21 PM »

Yeah, I'm guilty of doing the same thing. As soon as I heard the soundtrack I was so impressed by it that I yanked all the mp3s from the folder and kept them in a safe spot. It really is that good.

I usually never do that for little games like these. But the music in this game really is that exceptional that I couldn't resist.

Oh, as for the actual game itself. I completely suck at it. I admit defeat already, there is no way I can even attempt to get a faster time, much less a barely passable one.
tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 11:59:33 PM »

sweet im in =]

JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »

As others have said, great music.

The game difficulty level is pretty high. I only got as far as the law shattering before getting stuck. But people can complete it in under five minutes, you say? That's somewhat depressing.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 11:41:35 AM »

It's a really tough game, but the ending is TOTALLY worth it!  One of the best I've seen in a good long time!  Beer!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Kekskiller
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:43:23 AM »

Torture game. Good music.
MaloEspada
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »

Just finished it. Loved every bit of it. Music is awesome, the story has a very cool feel in it. I'm here waiting for Tower of Heaven 2.
Mailman
Level 0

Whose footprints are these?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 12:44:42 PM »

Got the secrets, how bittersweet.

Very nice work! Gentleman Hand Thumbs Up Right

Hey! What's up? How are the kids?
Before you go any further, I don't really care that much...
reverendanthony
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 01:13:49 PM »

I hate to admit impotence, but I'm utterly clueless as how to get past the level with the two windows, one killer, one not, and the exit door that rests upon an area of the floor made entirely of grass.

Friggin' great game, though.
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 01:20:56 PM »

Sometimes a window's more than just a window...
Nathaniel607
Level 0

Yes, I have beaten Contra 3.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 01:40:06 PM »

Wow! Amazing game! Awesome music! Brilliant graphics!

I didn't find it that hard... I only really got stuck for a bit on the last level, I hardly had any trouble on "you can't look at the rules" level...

[SPOILERS]

But I don't get the ending... so... his wish was to go to Heaven? Or destroy the Tower? Or destroy the Earth?

On another note... why doesn't this forum have collapse sections? Then I could post spoilers to my hearts desire...
KensterFox
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »

[SPOILERS]

But I don't get the ending... so... his wish was to go to Heaven? Or destroy the Tower? Or destroy the Earth?

I only played the game once, but I think that the wish was to sever the ties between Heaven and Earth, freeing the world from the influence and power of a spiteful God.

I'm interested to hear what others think, though.
godsavant
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »

I'm amazed at the press this game has been getting. Tears of Joy Thanks to everyone for having the patience to finish it, and to Brandon for the frontpage!

I hate to admit impotence, but I'm utterly clueless as how to get past the level with the two windows, one killer, one not, and the exit door that rests upon an area of the floor made entirely of grass.

Friggin' great game, though.

Press x through the non-killer window.

Wow! Amazing game! Awesome music! Brilliant graphics!

I didn't find it that hard... I only really got stuck for a bit on the last level, I hardly had any trouble on "you can't look at the rules" level...

[SPOILERS]

On another note... why doesn't this forum have collapse sections? Then I could post spoilers to my hearts desire...

Well, we had kind of an expanded script, but we cut it b/c the beginning monologue w/ God was long enough. Basically, here's the poem I wrote to go along with the game (the full version, the ending one is cut):

"I saw the traveler make his way toward the monolith,
That thin gash amidst the clouds;
An open seam between heaven and earth that eluded the eye of God.

Or perhaps it had not; perhaps it beckoned from one realm
To the other, wedded and ruled as one;
For look how clean it splits the horizon 'twain, absorbs it,
Makes it strange,
An indomitable beam,
A tower of heaven."

Just finished it. Loved every bit of it. Music is awesome, the story has a very cool feel in it. I'm here waiting for Tower of Heaven 2.

Already in the works.

I found the last level much easier than the previous. Probably because there weren't any fucking butterflies.

There were, originally, but I guess aski was feeling generous.

[SPOILERS]

I only played the game once, but I think that the wish was to sever the ties between Heaven and Earth, freeing the world from the influence and power of a spiteful God.

I'm interested to hear what others think, though.

Spot on; this explains the greatly higher-tech assets following the tower's destruction.

Nathaniel607
Level 0

Yes, I have beaten Contra 3.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 03:24:15 PM »

Hmmmmmm... I got a time of 5:30 or something... I didn't bother taking a screenshot (as I'm not in the top 3).

Awesome game though! I too cannot wait for Tower of Heaven 2, it should be awesome!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic