Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:36:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTower of Heaven - 2Bee Contest Finalist!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Tower of Heaven - 2Bee Contest Finalist!  (Read 38236 times)
Jockolantern
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2009, 07:26:04 AM »

You did it by playing a (near) perfect game.

Close to it.  I think I may have played it the tiniest bit safe by taking an extra second in the bird room, but... I may not have.  I really don't know any more.  I know I did better on that room than I did on my 2'27" run, but I was so in the zone of just trying to make every little jump that the only thing I do know is that I nailed the first five rooms in exactly 30 seconds, which was my optimum time.

I messed up on the last jump, not entering the door as I landed, costing me about half a second. I KNOW I can match you time Jockolantern, but I don't think I could beat it. I mean, there isn't really anywhere else you could cut time out. Everything else has to be timed just right, trying to speed it up will just get you killed by yellow blocks, fans, or butterflies.

If you got 2'26" this time around, you can absolutely match my time with just another great run.  I'm with you though; it might be possible to get 2'24", but... you'd have to be incredibly lucky and do absolutely every little thing right without even a pixel's worth of error.  Trying to speed it up any more will absolutely get you murdered by butterflies.   Wink
Tokyoma
Level 1

wut

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 08:10:34 AM »

[Nothing to see here.]  Cool
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:31:31 AM by Tokyoma » Logged
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 03:38:11 PM »

Dang, the best I've managed is 2:40, with quite a few mistakes. Which is pretty good for me, I thought, but I know I could do a lot better if I could afford to let my work slide for another half a day (whoops!) and do a proper perfect run.

I CAN get through the first five rooms in 0:38 though.

Oh, and if two people are tied for first, then technically the next person should be considered "third". Sorry!

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »

Man, this game is good. The music is really addictive, too.

I don't really have much to add on to that. It was this kind of frusturating fun, it's awesomesauce.  Grin

EEEEEEEGH
gmars3yp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 06:18:42 PM »

First off, hello everyone. I just happened upon this forum a couple days ago and this thread was the first I clicked on. The game looked interesting so I downloaded it, and it turned out to be pretty awesome. I really like the game, but I agree with some of the other people that it would be even better if there were more levels to play. The music is great too. Best yet, this game would be amazing if it came with a custom level editor (perhaps unlocked by getting a certain time and/or secrets). That would be really great because I feel like there are a lot of creative possibilities for different stages given the interesting "laws" built into the game. In any case, well done on a great game!

As for my own time, I am in general agreement with the current record holders that 2:24 is approaching the best that is humanly feasible (unless there is some major method of shaving off time we have all missed). My best time is 2:26 (see screen-shot below). Perhaps with some luck I might be able to whittle that down to 2:25 (or even 2:24?) by saving several fractions of a second here and there. However, I do see at least one place where I can save an additional ~2.2 seconds, which would be a really nice enhancement, but it's really really hard. I have only done it twice, but that was when I was just siting in the level trying it over and over. I doubt I'd be able to do it consistently so being able to pull it off during an actual run is extraordinarily unlikely (alas).

It will be interesting though, to hear from others (after the contest I presume?) what their techniques are for trimming down their time. Possible some of us are using different ones and when we combine, maybe we can get an even lower time? Given what I said a moment ago about a way to cut about 2 seconds off I'm guessing the best theoretically possible time may be around 2:23? (Of course I could be mistaken.) Also, one thing that is just a tad frustrating is that the last room seems to take up a sizable fraction of the total time from every other room combined! I just feel like I'm doing so much waiting for ledges and stuff in that room, so after having rushed through everything else, I feel awkward just sitting there as seconds tick by. But anyways, I really like the game.

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2009, 05:43:13 PM »

I've just managed a run of 2:27.

I think I must be missing some trick though (probably in one of the later rooms?)

I can get to the start of the first moving platform room in 0:33, which I think must be pretty close to optimal. Yes?

Is there a faster way of doing that room though? It seems to be dependent on the platform so there's not much you can do apart from jumping off as soon as possible. The last room is similar, unless I'm missing a shortcut. And then that just leaves the two nasty rooms before that...

AnarchoElk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 04:29:40 AM »

The time I have now I got to the moving room at 35 or 36. I've made it ad 34, I've never made it at 33 though. It's just making a quick mistake elsewhere that has made me unable to capitalize on my recently found time saver. But it seems there is a second one I don't know about. Either that or I'm leaving a little mre time than desired on some jumps and doors, that could be adding up to the extra second I'm missing.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:48:28 AM by AnarchoElk » Logged
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »

Is the recently found time saver the fan trick in the third room?

gmars3yp - is your way to shave a couple of seconds off by jumping in ahead of the first set of blades in the second-to-last level? 

AnarchoElk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2009, 02:20:14 AM »

I actually have no idea how to use fans appropriately, if I get a fast fan it's purely luck. In fact, fans seem to mock me. If I want a deep fan to miss a spike it will say no, I'm going to push you into the spike. If I want a shallow fan for a shorter hop, or to avoid a butterfly is laughs at me, sucks me in and wastes my time or shoots me into a butterfly.

It is actually the 2nd level, where you can jump between the fans before they change directions. In the time I currently hold, I was still waiting for them to turn around and jump in the easy way.

On the topic of the blades in the 2nd last level, I've seen possibilities there too, but I don't know how effective it would be because you have to wait for the platform anyways.

Edit: oh wow. I thought something like that would have been possible, but I didn't figure out the simple answer...

Now to just put it all together...

And with that...

Yeah, Anthony, I don't think, given the times everyone else has had, ANYONE else knew about that fan trick, that or my much simpler saw thing, so I would expect to see a lot more 221s and 220s, maybe even smaler numbers than that, considering we don't know eachother's tricks. I feel kind of indebted to you, so if you want a tip on a level you think you are taking too much time on, I'll be happy to help.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:14:25 AM by AnarchoElk » Logged
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2009, 04:23:05 AM »

It is actually the 2nd level, where you can jump between the fans before they change directions.

I'll be damned! So you can. Those tricky half-sized jumps again.

...the blowers really screw with me as well.

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2009, 04:44:00 AM »

Oh, and hats off to you for 2:21, I should have said. Yikes.

Tell you what, the one thing that would improve this nifty little game would be the ability to practice your times for individual rooms... that and a GHOST PLAYER of your best time.

Jockolantern
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 07:23:24 AM »

2'21"?!  Holy snap!  Grats, Anarcho!  I'm on a week-long trip at the moment, so I doubt I'll find any time to try and match or beat such a time until I return late this weekend.  Still, that is an incredible time and I am most intruigued to find out exactly what sweet time saving technique you found to shave off three seconds from DJ's time.  I will not rest until I have discovered your methodology.   Wink
gmars3yp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2009, 07:56:46 PM »

Wow, well done AnarchoElk; 2:21 is very impressive. I really have no idea how you did that. I actually haven't played the game since I posted my time and playing once through just now, I did terribly. I guess I need some warm up runs to get back into the flow, heh. But I am interested in others' time saving tricks, because I am clearly missing some stuff.

gmars3yp - is your way to shave a couple of seconds off by jumping in ahead of the first set of blades in the second-to-last level? 

Hmm, I'm actually not quite sure what your referring to here. The trick I'm talking about is in jumping onto and off of a ledge in the last level just right to prevent some waiting. Possibly others are already able to do this.

In the second level though, some people have mentioned jumping past the spinning saw blade fan things right away. I actually don't even jump through them at all. If you time it just right, you can just run straight into the saw blade on the floor as it nears the right side of the room. It will briefly reveal a sliver of the exit door, which you touch before you bump into the saw. Hitting "down" at that moment brings you to the next level without killing you. But possibly others can jump through and get to the door even faster, i.e. before the saw gets to it.

Also, yes. The fan trick in the third room is very helpful.
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »

If you time it just right, you can just run straight into the saw blade on the floor as it nears the right side of the room. It will briefly reveal a sliver of the exit door, which you touch before you bump into the saw. Hitting "down" at that moment brings you to the next level without killing you.

Woah, I absolutely can't get that to work. The saw doesn't look like it even comes close to revealing any door on its left - at least not on my computer. I've been wondering though, how consistent is GameMaker between machines? It seems a little bit glitchy.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2009, 03:09:54 AM »

I like how you used a code to prevent doing this, as it would be too easy otherwise.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2009, 02:14:31 PM »

1:26? I get that when I'm asleep! Try 42 seconds and you'll be in my league.
The trick to such times is to lie like hell and show no proof.

Jockolantern
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2009, 02:06:38 AM »

Who, Me?  Words seriously cannot explain how overjoyed this makes me right now:

HUZZAH!  Grin
AnarchoElk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2009, 10:51:54 AM »

It's no 2:19, but I'm on my way. I know where I messed up, I just have to put a run in action.

It's no 2:17, and I don't know if I could even get there... I think I could get 2:18, but wow... Congrats.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 01:27:35 PM by AnarchoElk » Logged
godsavant
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2009, 03:40:12 PM »

How are you people achieving these times?!? WTF These require mutant skills...
Curseman
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »

I think this game is pretty enjoyable, despite its extremely short duration.  The music and art are both very well done.  I'm glad to see that the claims of it being a frustration platformer don't have much truth to them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic