Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:58:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeStrengths
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Strengths  (Read 5734 times)
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2009, 09:34:54 AM »

Your biggest obstacle to create a game? seems to me like the "weaknesses thread," where we all talk about how horrible we are at making games. While it's an interesting and useful topic, it's quite depressing. After posting there, I decided that we needed a "strengths thread" to lighten things up; similar to how I created the "happy programmer room" to contrast with the "grumpy old programmer room."

What are you awesome at? Or at least mildly good at?

Okay, I suppose I'll go first:

• I'm alright with music, and I tend to have the most fun making it (in comparison to graphics and programming). It's just one of those things that I can practice at without feeling any frustration, while still challenging myself and improving steadily.
  • Writing probably falls under that category too, though I'm not sure how good I am at it right now.
  • (I'll probably add more later after I've thought about it)

Alehandro
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »

Fire and miss
Jrsquee
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 10:15:04 AM »

I'm a good photographer
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 10:22:26 AM »

I generate new ideas almost every day. This is both a curse and a blessing.

Oh, and combining ideas. I like to think I'm mildly good at that. >_>;
I have a tendency to understand most things quickly too once explained. Or something. It's hard to explain :s
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 11:27:32 AM »

Good thread idea!

I draw everyday, everywhere- hey, that's what math class is for, right?

I am a teensy bit OCD, so that I get fixated on a piece until I feel that it's juuuuust right.

I come up with incredibly stupid/insane ideas and run with them. God, those are so fun.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 12:10:26 PM »

I'm a robot.

Working on HeliBrawl
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:58:43 PM »

I like to think I'm good at the actual design part of making a game.  I'm pretty good with both ideas and content.

With other things, I'm enough of a jack-of-all-trades to make at least something for all parts of a game.

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 11:24:21 PM »

I'm good at polishing a game's final presentation;  at sanding off all the rough corners and putting a really nice shine onto every visible surface.  This usually involves a lot of work with cameras, player handling, and screen transitions within the UI.  I seem to be hyper-sensitive to this final layer of polish;  it always rubs me the wrong way when I play a "AAA" game which lacks that attention to detail, even though nobody else ever seems to mind it. 
Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 12:25:15 AM »

I guess I'm ok in the art department, though sometimes I think I'm just lucky. I think I'd be pretty good at voice acting if given the chance.

I'm also really good at not working on projects.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 12:36:42 AM »

Great thread!

I'd say I'm good at art, but obviously I have my strengths and my weaknesses in that depending on the style.  Pixel art isn't something I think I'm amazing at, but after a few years of messing with it I think I can hold my own with the ultra-low-rez stuff.  I'm a lot better at thrown together collage-y things and styles that are meant to look more like sketches than super polished works.

And design is definitely a huge strength of mine.  Being an architecture student, a lot of what I've learned from that (more than most would think) is directly and easily transferable to game design.  Really, it's a state of mind and rough approach more than anything else, but that approach is still quite different when it comes to game design.

Hopefully sooner-than-later I'll be able to add music to this list, but definitely not yet.  Wink
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 12:38:43 AM »

I am quite smart, though I can be dumb at times. I am a quick learner, I can spot things other overlook, deduce (debugging is fun) and stuff. I am also very creative.

All of which is neutered by lack of motivation and will.  Facepalm
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 04:26:42 AM »

I'm a relatively good programmer. At least I assume I am, since people seem to want to pay me large sums of money to write code (not games, sadly).

medieval
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 08:06:45 AM »

i'm creative, i guess
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »

I'm some kind of fuckin' genius!

..and I have healthy self-esteem?

I'm good at programming, and understanding and coming up with solutions to the abstract problems that it presents.

I'm slowly getting better at recognising signs from myself when something is wrong with a project, and fixing it.  One day I hope to know what I mean by that.
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »

I would like to think I am a decent writer. I'm probably pretty average, though. I am okay with this.  Smiley
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 12:30:22 PM »

When I get down to it, I am a fairly quick developer. All this Poppenkast training has benefited me immensely.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 05:58:08 AM »

I usually finish what I start, I'm very patient, I learn quickly, I like polishing stuff and making it look pretty, I understand people.

Nice thread idea. Sometimes it's good to remind ourselves we're actually pretty good at something.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
bento_smile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 09:56:28 AM »

I learn quite fast (when I'm not being frustrated by it). Also I know how to economise and focus on the right bits. I'm not afraid to be a hermit and not see people for a while if it means getting something done!

Yeah! Let's overcome our weaknesses with strengths! (Uh...)  Hand Shake Left Shocked Hand Shake Right
rogerlevy
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »

Workaholic Deluxe.   Big Laff
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 11:47:05 AM »

Yeah! Let's overcome our weaknesses with strengths! (Uh...)  Hand Shake Left Shocked Hand Shake Right
Hell yeah!=D

I'm a good programmer / systemic thinker / musicer, and I'm okay at pixeling (if not animation) / painting. I just need to be a hell of a lot more patient.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic