Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:15:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGamecube Recommendations?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Gamecube Recommendations?  (Read 6517 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2007, 02:12:32 PM »

Taking a cue from Melly...

I have had my Wii for a few months now and have bought a few Gamecube games but not many (Alien Hominid, XIII, SSX3, Soul Cal 2, Metroid Prime 2). I was wondering what were some other good games for Gamecube? Oh and by the way I am thinking more along the lines of second and third party games...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 02:55:31 PM »

Well, it's first party, but if you haven't played Pikmin (1 or 2), you should.  Smiley

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 03:41:02 PM »

Super Smash Brothers Melee is the best game ever made.  Metroid Prime is MUCH better than Metroid Prime 2, if you haven't given played it yet.  Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and Resident Evil 4 are both HUGE standout titles on that system as well (tho RE4 might be better in the wii edition - i know it has more features).  And of course if you are a masochist there is always the classic Ikaruga!

Also, ditto the Pikmin recommend, tho I think I prefer 1 slightly over 2.  Finally, Mario Golf Toadstool Tour is a way way better game than it has any right to be!

cup full of magic charisma
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »

F-Zero is a must, even tho it's def the weakest in the series.

Also, Ikaruga if you can find it.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »

Chibi Robo! is my absolute favourite GC game, coming in first just before Luigi's Mansion, itself just pipping Mario Sunshine and Resident Evil 4 to the coveted #2 spot.

Chibi Robo! sees you playing a tiny cleaner robot adopted by a totally dysfunctional family on the verge of a complete breakup; the dad is a fat layabout out of work, the daughter has become an introvert and won't speak to anyone except to ribbit like a frog, the mother is going crazy from having to do the housework and the finances, and as if that wasn't enough, all the toys in the house are alive and have their own problems as well. Cleaning up the house is the absolute least of your worries as you progress through one of the most charming plots I've ever played. It's absolutely bloody marvellous. There are loads of really adult moments too, stuff that kids won't get at all, which is pretty strange for such a kiddy-looking game. You wait 'til you get to see the real side of Sweetie Bear...

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 04:06:38 PM »

Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil Remake are both great for fans.. Obviously Zelda, Eternal Darkness is good and a great 2d platformer is veiwtiful joe

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 04:54:16 PM »

Eternal Darkness, Zelda Wind Waker, Star Wars - Rogue Leader II.

For Wii, if you haven't tried it, Godfather. It's pretty fun, if you like that sort of thing. Better than GTA, story wise. Fun Wiimote control of gameplay.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 05:50:28 PM »

Super Monkey Ball! (The first is better!)

Apart from that... Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga, Eternal Darkness, the Resident Evils... Definitely get hold of Mario Sunshine - despite anything people say, it's a great game :D ...pretty much everything I can think of offhand has been said.

Oh, and Mario Kart: Double Dash is great for multiplayer.

olücæbelel
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 05:58:11 PM »

Super Monkey Ball! (The first is better!)

I like 'em both.  I really disliked the Wii version.  Gamepad controls are so much nicer.

The Cube, unfortunately, was best supported by Nintendo itself.  It's hard to come up with 3rd party titles that were exclusive, and stand out.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 06:17:14 PM »

First-tier favorites:

Beyond Good and Evil
Eternal Darkness
Fire Emblem
Ikaruga
Metroid Prime
Pikmin
Skies of Arcadia
Wind Waker

Second-tier favorites:

Chibi Robo
Cubivore
Paper Mario
P.N. 03
Twilight Princess
Movius
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 07:59:54 PM »

Killer 7

crukid
Level 0

creepy lurker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 10:01:16 PM »

Ditto on the Cubivore...oh-so interesting and quirky.  Find a review on it, if it sounds like something you'd like -- you probably will.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 10:11:54 PM »

Yeah, I just picked up Viewtiful Joe for 5 bucks from Blockbuster, I was avoiding it because I had played VJ2 on PS2 and I wasn't really that impressed but the first one kicks ass!

Definitely going to check out Ikaruga...looks awesome, probably have to wait until after I beat R*Type on the VC...

Apparently there is going to be a new Chibi Robo game on the Wii...I think I'll have to take a look at the GC version, it looks fairly interesting.

I really, really want to play Eternal Darkness though, I heard this game about this game back in the day when I didn't have a GC and it sounded great.

The Cube, unfortunately, was best supported by Nintendo itself.  It's hard to come up with 3rd party titles that were exclusive, and stand out.

Yeah, that is pretty much how it is most of the time with Nintendo consoles....I was just hoping that someone knew something about some third party stuff that may have escaped my attention.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 12:58:47 AM »

I'll third Cubivore. It's an unique action game that requires some strategy and encourages light exploration. The creator focused the game on primal urges: survival, eating, and mating. The story is about collecting the various mutations, skills, and "raw meat" parts you'll need to defeat the Killer Cubivore and to restore color to the wilderness. I like its simplistic style, it's slightly discorded music, and it's quirks and humor. There are several videos of it at IGN.

Doshin the Giant seems interesting (IGN videos), but I haven't tried it yet. It's a Japanese god sim. Some believe it inspired Black and White whereas others have called it Black and White Light. More info, screens, and videos of the European version is available at the official site.

I once got to try the Bonk's Adventure (PC Ginjin) port to the Japanese GC and enjoyed it, but I'm a fan of the series. It looked and played much better than the TG-16 version.

All 3 of these games aren't easy to come by unless you're willing to pay extra money.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 04:05:00 AM »

Forgot about BG&E, if you haven't played it on another platform then definitely pick that one up. It's packed with charm.

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 02:12:54 AM »

Geist is an interesting but kind of crappy shooter, but it has been designed by shigeru miyamoto and it's interesting to see such a game come out of the kiddie friendly casual mşnded miyamoto. and I think it's not too bad.

Eden
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 02:59:59 AM »

Geist is an interesting but kind of crappy shooter, but it has been designed by shigeru miyamoto and it's interesting to see such a game come out of the kiddie friendly casual mşnded miyamoto. and I think it's not too bad.
Really, I thought n-Space developed and designed that?
I'm sure Mr. Miyamoto had a hand in the production, though. But he tends to have his hand in every Nintendo project.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 09:24:05 AM »

I think Shiggy only helped in some areas of that game, and wasn't totally involved in the project.

I'd go for Eternal Darkness over Geist anyday, though.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 03:35:53 PM »

Cubivore looks delightfully intriguing...

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 03:45:20 PM »

Cubivore is pretty rare. It's $45 used at the gamestop here, though they've had that copy for like 2 years.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic