Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:40:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGamecube Recommendations?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Gamecube Recommendations?  (Read 6518 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 04:00:58 PM »

Cubivore is pretty rare. It's $45 used at the gamestop here, though they've had that copy for like 2 years.

Yeah, I usually buy my games online most of the time anyways...I am in Bumfuck, Oklahoma so the nearest gamestop is like an hour and a half from where I am at....Amazon has it for 36 bucks though....

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 04:06:45 PM »

Bumfuck, Oklahoma

...is that real?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2007, 04:07:19 PM »

Bumfuck, Oklahoma

...is that real?

Does it matter?  It rules either way....

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 04:52:17 PM »

lol...yeah it is called "Ada"....I am going to school here, I met my girlfriend here after I came down when my grandpa died...now I am stuck, I am originally from Seattle...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 05:52:47 PM »

Beyond Good and Evil was awesome. Thirded.
Soul Calibur 2 (has that been mentioned yet?)
Time Splitters 2

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 05:59:31 PM »

Soul Calibur 2 (has that been mentioned yet?)

Yup, already got it  Wink

Looks like I'll have to check out Beyond Good and Evil as well...

rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 07:40:36 AM »

you'll love beyond good & evil - kinda short but it's a game you'll remember long after its done

cheers, rey-o
Spincut
Level 1

Playing the games you make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 03:45:52 PM »

I'll have to second Killer 7. It doesn't have the greatest gameplay, but you'll want to keep playing just to see how much more trippy it gets. Seriously, the story is...weird, but also chock full of symbolism and (apparently) political commentary. I'd suggest playing it through and then Wikipedia'ing the game to get what everything means.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 05:36:07 PM »

Yeah,I heard that the story in Killer 7 was it's saving attribute. I am hoping that No More Heroes for the Wii avoids this pitfall...

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 07:27:13 PM »

No More Heroes seems very quirky and awesome.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 10:33:33 PM »

No More Heroes seems very quirky and awesome.

That it does...

I just hope that they don't cop out on the controls, I was reading Nintendo Power and when they detailed the combat controls there was no mention of it being motion sensitive (except for the fact that where you hold your Wiimote (high or low) is where you hold your beam sword on screen). The only mention of the sword's attack controls was that the A button would be used to execute slashes and repeated taps for combos.

Maybe Twilight Princess and Soul Calibur Legends spoiled me but I'll be pissed if I can't use the "beam sword" like a friggin' real sword (or at least TP style controls)...

Spincut
Level 1

Playing the games you make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 11:30:46 PM »

Really? I heard differently. I heard that it was using motion controls to fight with the sword. I could be mistaken or they could have changed it, though.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 11:35:03 PM »

Really? I heard differently. I heard that it was using motion controls to fight with the sword. I could be mistaken or they could have changed it, though.

Yeah, I sure hope so.

This is exactly what it says in the issue: "Simply press A Button to slash, or hold A to charge up a more powerful strike. Quick combos can be pulled off by tapping A repeatedly."

I don't know if they are intending this to be just another combo you can string together with the motion controls, maybe...

idiotmeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2007, 10:26:37 PM »

The control scheme seems to be that you tap the A button for normal attacks, using the angle of the wiimote to change Travis's stance.  The motion controls come into play at the end of the sword combo, when you'll (apparently) be prompted for a gesture to do that will destroy your foe's spleen.
Also, I've been told the B button grabs, which you'll be prompted for gestures to do in order to perform suplexes and other associated grappling moves.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2007, 10:33:02 PM »

Hmm, interesting. Well, if anything else from reading about the various combat functions (high/low card, "beat" attacks, death blows, weapon clashes, and "dark side" mode) it sounds like the game will have a good deal of depth and strategy when it comes to combat. So far I like what I see.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 03:22:48 AM »

The problem is that so far nearly every game that uses mostly motion-sensing controls to read combat moves just doesn't work well. The gestures simply aren't read properly, and that takes away your control and most of the depth you could take out of combat. It might be bad coding, but I think it could be the fact that the players simply don't have the manual dexterity to do perfect wiimote/nunchuck movements, especially in a desperate situation, when compared to simple button presses.

To be honest I hope developers start being a little more conservative about motion sensing in their games until they freaking know what they're doing and what works and what doesn't. Though if the Wii becomes like the DS, it may take a while, but eventually we'll see a shining future for the console.

But this was a Gamecube related topic, wasn't it?  Embarrassed

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 08:12:52 AM »

But this was a Gamecube related topic, wasn't it?  Embarrassed

Hell, it can be a Wii/GC topic, why not?

I agree with what you are saying somewhat, however I believe that the reason that the motion controls are not as fleshed out as they could be is just due to laziness rather then any sort of development hump. I can use the Wiimote to move my cursor about the screen with perfect control, I can also use my Wiimote to move my reticle in Metroid Prime in perfect concentrated movements as well. Why can I not use that same freedom of movement in say Zelda? Basically I think that developers during the first year of the Wii severely undermined the capability of the system and therefore released this first generation of half-hearted ports and too many uninspired, sloppy games not worth mentioning.

Personally I am think that 2008 is going to be the real breakout year for the Wii Wink

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2007, 10:42:07 AM »

Don't let anyone or anything turn you off Super Mario Sunshine.

It's actually better than Mario 64, and it has a better feeling to it than any other game on the cube, and few games on other platforms achieve the same level of wonder. Maybe 'Shadow of the Colossus' or 'Prince of Persia' (the first one) best it in this area.

On Penny-Arcade they recently discussed how some people play games as a route to fantasy, and others play games as a route to mastery. I certainly do both, and if you're like me, you'll get an enormous amount out of Sunshine.

The gradually increasing sunshine in the game feels hot, and humid, and summery. Kicking around pineapples and durians in inch-deep, clear water and splashing everything wetly as the sun sparkles under heavy tropical clouds....

The game has unsolved mysteries too... the mysterious hidden book. The moving ruins. It's a game which hasn't yet yielded up all its secrets, not even on gamefaqs.

I'd love it if more games would head in the direction pioneered by 'Sunshine'. Rather than the usual ice-world, fire-world, water-world treadmill, they plumb every aspect of an uplifting theme - the summer holiday. There's a club-med style resort, an abandoned beach overlooked by an airy hill, a beach town with cabanas and a plaza with a fountain, a water-themed amusement park, a harbour, and a giant waterfall. The developers loved making it, and their enjoyment comes through in a powerful way.

I know the consensus of history will be that Sunshine was a failure, but I think it was only a failure as a commercial venture, not as a game. It was geared too narrowly towards game connoisseurs. Too hard for kids, too optimistic for teenage boys. It is the game that drove Nintendo toward their new casual gaming strategy. I'm not against that move, but it's much the same as what happened in film - there was a period where times were perfect for the enthusiast, and the changes needed for mainstream breakthrough always make things worst for the enthusiasts.

You can see "Super Mario Sunshine" as the swansong of the era where a game connoisseur could enjoy AAA games.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 10:53:02 AM by Benzido » Logged
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 02:34:43 PM »

Yeah, I am definitely going to check out SMS. I remember playing a demo when it first game out and thinking that it rocked. However, I am still playing Galaxy so that pretty much eats up my Mario time (well that and SMB3 lol).

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic