Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:20:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSteamPunk Online
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: SteamPunk Online  (Read 9323 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 10:04:50 PM »

If you did play the alpha, I ask, what bugs did you encounter? Obviously plenty, its an alpha; but the 2D platforming tutorial did not have those bugs. I coded the stuff myself, and some human error is involved in things like bad collision and the ability to climb up walls. The wall error is fixed now, and the bad collision checking is almost fixed...
I didn't encounter any bugs as such, although I do think you need to work on the movement to make it more enjoyable. Right now it feels like the player's character is running and jumping through treacle. During a fast-paced multiplayer battle it would pretty unbearable to move so slow.

Also, do you have a website where we can download your other games?

mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 11:13:49 PM »

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight, even if you have a really awesome knife.
My Word! :D
Your game play numbers are almost that of MAG, that is, way to large, you should have at most 16 on 16, best probably 8 on 8. With a 2D game, you don't have the advantage of the extra dimension so it will feel a lot more cramped.
Exactly my thoughts, 200+ players seems to be way too many to be fighting in a 2d space, even if it is very large.
I think you might have a problem with getting 200+ people playing your game in the first place I really think that for a game named Steampunk online it has very little steampunk. I wish you good luck with this very ambisious project.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 05:50:06 AM »

281 Views and only 4 replies? Seriously? I'll have to advertise elsewhere.

yes please, if you're going to use this mentality do it.

Also yep, at the moment this game has nothing about Steampunk if not the name

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Maker_of_pixels
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 10:42:57 AM »

Muskets and pikes seem more steampunk to me. Im trying something new, rather then using an old Victorian style steampunk, I went for something more medieval, something never tried before, and its attracted attention. Im not scrapping the pikeman and knight, but I will make the niquette a bit faster.
It might seem kinda weird, no crazy inventors or floating cities or giant steampowered robots, I wanted legions of knights going into fierce melees, musketeers picking off infantry from a distance, heavy armored soldiers shotgunning their way through. It seems more exciting then robots stomping over eachother and a floating city falling to the ground.

Does it not?
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »

Then your perspective is bunk, you can't really have a swirling melee from a side on, that's better for a top down or 3d. You will have legions of Knights standing in a line waiting to fight each other while they get shot at a distance.

The age of invention is not Steampunk. You should come up with a better name then "Steampunk Online" because it is neither Steampunk nor Online. Like " Shirts of Iron, Balls of Lead".

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 11:26:34 AM »

Like " Shirts of Iron, Balls of Lead".

In my mind, this is the next Duke Nukem game.

DUKE NUKEM 4D
SHIRTS OF IRON. BALLS OF LEAD.

A Duke Nukem / Timesplitters team-up!

3D Realms. WHERE ART THOU.

|
Maker_of_pixels
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »

Its both steampunk, and its obviously Online.

And Shirts of Iron, Balls of Lead sounds like some cheesy 80's action sitcom.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 11:49:17 AM »

Muskets and pikes seem more steampunk to me.

err no. They are not, they are medieval.
Also steampunk in a medieval setting is kinda weird because the whole twist of the steampunk is that the industrial revolution leaded to new extraordinary steam powered technologies.
Even if you want to use a medievalesque setting a pike is still a pike, it's not steampunk.

A steam powered knight-robot that uses a pike is steampunk.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 11:52:02 AM »

I wanted legions of knights going into fierce melees, musketeers picking off infantry from a distance, heavy armored soldiers shotgunning their way through. It seems more exciting then robots stomping over eachother and a floating city falling to the ground.

Does it not?

mmmmm.... I vote for the robots  Shrug

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »

He mentions that "humans use the steam engine to create aircraft and tanks, with machine guns and wings and stuff... "  So I guess technically it could be considered steampunk.  Though i think , Maker of Pixels, that people want to see that pushed further and to be obvious through the visuals that the machines are using steam technology.  Alot of people are pretty attached to the word steam punk so you may anger alot of potential players if they dont see very much steampunk in a game called steampunk online.  If the word steampunk is pretty much the whole name of the game it should probably be filled to the brim with steam technology.  I think this is one of the larger issues people are having with your game.  If your name wasn't steampunk online people wouldnt be as upset with you doing your own interpretation.

Eclipse:  You can be a little lighter on your posts, he apologized for his actions and we dont need to fight fire with fire anyways. Smiley I agree though I think it needs more steam punk to warrant the name "steampunk online"
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:48:40 PM by Caliber9 » Logged

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 12:53:57 PM »

I'm being normal... i'm not trolling or anything, and i'd like to see a steampunk soldat-like game with multiplayer.
I think if he's gonna keep that name he should use the original steampunk style, that doesn't features flying castles, but it's the one created by Gibson and Sterling on The Difference Engine. If not i think the game will even sound better with a name like [put a name of a fictional world\nation] Online or something like that

LazyWaffle
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 12:56:40 PM »

It came first from 10 people. We said hey, 5 people per team would make us the laughing stock of every online game in existance. I wanted to see something new, a game with lots and lots of action. The max I could set it to was 255, and we decided on 232 because it was an even number.
254 is also an even number ;-;

Also, did you find out about TIGS by a friend telling you or by googling it? Make up your mind.

As for the gameplay, it was very buggy. You can stick to the side of walls most of the time. Besides that, I found it very annoying and unnatural to walk, since it takes way too long to accellerate.

Aside from that... Steampunk Online? Seriously? That's a horrible name, IMO. Some advice: NEVER put Online in the name of an online game. It just drives people away. It's like calling Gradius SHOOTING ALIENS: OFFLINE

PS. TIGS isn't a site to blatantly advertise your game.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:09:18 PM by LazyWaffle » Logged
Maker_of_pixels
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »

Please, remember that some of the info on this page is outdated, and I would update all of it but that would take awhile. The sky and graphics are better now, and the walls are less of an issue.

"Also, did you find out about TIGS by a friend telling you or by googling it? Make up your mind."

A friend told me, I said google because the link he gave me didn't work, so I typed in the text he gave me into google. Hence, googled.

I might change the name. Its really a worktitle for now, suitable for change anytime, what would you guys suggest? (Please, nothing like "SHIRTS OF IRON, BALLS OF STEEL")
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 02:37:02 PM »

(Please, nothing like "SHIRTS OF IRON, BALLS OF STEEL")
But, but, but! People would notice an awesome name like that, its flagrantly ungeneric.

You should call it "Of Airships and Arquebus"(esesez)

You should also update the page, so we know about all the new developments.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 03:37:46 PM »

You should update the page if you can, it is a DevLog you know.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Maker_of_pixels
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 03:38:43 PM »

OK I will, lemme go update the alpha on the other forums first...
EDIT: Heres the new alpha version:
http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=download&fileid=80772

Features a new, 3D sky, and new map design. As well as editable keys, it hasn't been tested yet but it should work.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:43:23 PM by Maker_of_pixels » Logged
ragnor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 07:48:16 PM »

My advise to you is as you seem familiar with Mount&Blade, why not make this game a mod for it? It'll fit very well. And if mass battles is what you want then side scrolling 2d can't give that to you as said earlier. If Warband expansion pack (which is awesome Smiley) is moddable then it will give you the exact gameplay you wanted.

Apart from that, i'd love to see a good 2d online game and having a steampunk setting is something i'd drool over but being that crowed and having so little steampunk features are puting me in doubt about the game.

By the way, i love the name "Shirts of Iron, Balls of Lead"! Can i use it for one of my games at the future? Smiley I'm dead serious  Beg
Maker_of_pixels
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 09:59:11 PM »

Mount and Blade is not multiplayer, and Warband is ruining what I fell in love with. Definately not a mod. And as a mod, I can't make any money, so not much in return.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 01:03:35 AM »

How do you plan to monetize this game, then?

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 12:42:13 PM »

Pikeman Class Icon:
Armless Pikeman(armless because of the engine):
Musketeer Class Icon:
Armless Musketeer(Because of the engine)
I'm sorry but just by looking at the two examples you've shown.
I am in no way seeing any kind references to the genre of steampunk here.
Mainly because what is the use of a Pikeman, in a steam punk game?
Where does he even fit here? Are you just trying to make it steam punk because it's popular?
Or because you truely want to make an original 1 of a kind Steampunk game?

All this mention of steampunk and I don't see 1 steam engine, or any kind of gadgets usually expected.
No sort of steam technology at all, just 2 sprites you've drawn? that have no real relation to the genre that is steampunk.

If this was truely steampunk, I'd expect to see such classes as an engineer, gunslinger, aviator ect...
Not just 2 generic classes that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.
edit: I just read your list of class descriptions, and to be honest I don't like any of them. :/

Your characters just look like basic Civil War soldiers.
Which is fine if you're doing a French revolution setting type of game.

I suggest you think hard about this Steampunk "online"
Because you have a large fan base to please, and if expectations of steam and fantasy aren't met then you're going to have a lot of players complaining about the none existing steampunk world you are speaking so highly about.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:55:34 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic