Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:21:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralCrossover
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crossover  (Read 1901 times)
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2007, 04:45:27 PM »

If you have a Macintosh (or Linux) computer and cannot play most of the indie games talked about on this site, this program is rather nice.

http://www.codeweavers.com/

Crossover runs Windows applications straight in the native Mac environment, without needing a virtual machine or reboot, and there's no need to buy a copy of Windows, either.

It can't run everything, though, and the Compatibility page on their site doesn't focus too much on indie games, so I thought it would be nice to make a list of all of the indie stuff it DOES run.

PERFECTLY = Starts up properly, no issues.
YES = Starts up properly, some issues.
BADLY = Starts up properly, major issues.
NO = Doesn't start up.
* = I haven't played the game extensively, so there may be issues I haven't found.
FSTBI = Full Screen Top Bar Issue. It means that the top bar doesn't disappear when game is in full-screen mode, which also pushes the game area down a little bit. It is not a fatal flaw, but it's a little annoying. Most games can just be played in a window, which removes the issue.

Baldings Quest NO
  • A white screen. The sound loops in the background, though.

Chalk YES
  • FSTBI
  • The FSTBI is more nasty than usual in this case because most of the health info is shoved off-screen

Cortex Command NO
  • Just gives a white screen.

Dwarf Fortress YES
  • The music acts rather wonky, but it can be muted, so it's not that big a deal.

Game Maker Games NO
  • Changes resolution, then an info box pops up with "Unexpected error occured when running the game."
  • Some Game Maker games DO work, such as Sexy Hiking. I'm not sure why.

Knytt YES
  • FSTBI

Knytt Stories NO
  • The installer doesn't work.
  • Even if installed using an actual Windows computer, it gets an error on opening. It probably needs to be installed via Crossover, which doesn't seem possible.

La Mulana NO
  • Fades to a black screen, then fades back.

Nothing YES
  • FSTBI

Seiklus *YES*
  • Framerate is rather slow. It might just be due to my computer, though.

The Underside YES
  • FSTBI

Within a Deep Forest BADLY
  • Game suddenly quits when acquiring the first new ball type from the porcupine.
[/list]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 04:50:19 PM by Pigbuster » Logged
Seth
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 12:38:29 AM »

Hey, nice find!  Too bad it doesn't work with a lot of games, but it's better than nothing.

Lyle in Cube Sector YES
      It's pretty much perfect, at least as far as I can tell.  I never played it on a Windows machine, and I didn't play it very far, though.  FSTBI, but it doesn't affect the gameplay area.

Fedora Spade NO
      "Tomato Engine" sign comes up, then a window saying "An unexpected error has occurred."

Immortal Defense demo NO
      Seems to install fine, but when trying to run the game a window says "An unexpected error occurred while trying to run the game."

Nikujin, Bokorin NO
      An error window pops up.

More after I play Dwarf Fortress for a while!  Wink
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »

Crossover is a fork of a very old version of Wine which had a different license (they changed it because of Crossover, which back then had a different name). Some developers of Wine also work at Crossover.

I think, since Wine is free and available in most distributions, it's much better to have a Wine compatibility list instead. Wine exist in much more Linux computers than Crossover and it's updated more often.

~bs~
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »

I can't get Darwine to work properly with my computer, for some reason.
Chris P
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 04:51:41 PM »

@Bad Sector. Indeed. However, there's a Wine application compatibility database here, which would be good to use and contribute to rather than duplicating effort: http://appdb.winehq.org/ (you do need to sign up for an account to contribute there though, by the look of it)

Hmm, I should add Mayhem Intergalactic to that list. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic