Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411885 Posts in 69426 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 06, 2024, 08:54:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSunwake 0.5
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sunwake 0.5  (Read 2667 times)
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2009, 05:05:37 AM »

Sunwake is a RPG game with turn-based battles and a large open world to explore. I initially created it to test my homebrew PnP battle formulas, but later changed it to a more casual and (according to me) fun experience. Mainly, I need some help on interface right now, ergo I am posting it to the feedback section.

Some basic info:

Download Sunwake 0.5

Set in the fantastic world of Ferock, Sunwake deals with a party of three adventurers trying to reach the portal at the southeastern corner of the map, as the end of their world is inevitable.

The game (currently) features:
-10 classes with different abilities or spells
-5 races (no elves, no dwarves, no orcs!)
-Tons of different weapons to find
-The reimagining of a classic battle system
-A large world map (136*142)
-8*8, old school graphics

Screenshots:

Complete World Map:
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/fallencaster/ferockcomplete.png
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:57:27 PM by PDF » Logged
Schtee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 05:09:21 AM »

Full map looks great. Going to have to play this when I get home.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »

Are there towns or anything beyond just the world map and the fighting?

It's not a bad little game, but the interface does seem a bit...stilted or something.  It wouldn't hurt to have a x2 resolution either.

I like the music!  Did you do it yourself?

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 01:57:38 AM »

Are there towns or anything beyond just the world map and the fighting?

It's not a bad little game, but the interface does seem a bit...stilted or something.  It wouldn't hurt to have a x2 resolution either.

I like the music!  Did you do it yourself?

Well, it's good that someone has something to say.

You see, I make games I want to play; and it seems the games I want to play are not games other people want to play(or they don't learn how to play, which I'll come to). What I wanted to play was a turn-based pseudo-RPG; similar to, well, let's say, Oblivion and... hm, old dungeon crawlers, where you can travel to anywhere you want to, kill enemies and get loot, and finally get an ending music and some text telling you whether you want to play again or not.

I'm not complaining; I am just unable to learn to create a good interface system, which will help others to understand the rules of the game(which was why this was in feedback). I have put descriptions, advices, notes telling you: what to do to finish the game, what stats do, what items give, how to fight, how to get ship/airship etc. and yet, as the number of the replies show, the game failed. It can be because of lack of content, but the game was intended to be about 15 minutes long anyway.

Other than that, as for what you have said; unfortunately, Game Maker does not allow a good scaling(even with surfaces, you would see that the text doesn't get properly scaled). And indeed, the game only has fighting, sailing, exploring, and the warp gate leading to the final battle.

The music is indeed mine, though there are actually more than what you hear, and some bug doesn't allow them to be played.

Anyway, thanks to you for replying!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:02:56 AM by PDF » Logged
poorwill
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:31:20 AM »

I like this game a lot.  It's just the sort of thing I want to play.
I don't think there's really anything I can think to add that you won't have already thought of and won't be added in the standard course of development.  Being able to use the cursor to select who attacks would be good, I guess.  More and better loot?  Not very helpful, I know.

I couldn't find an airship.  Is there one?
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 08:59:02 AM »

I like this game a lot.  It's just the sort of thing I want to play.
I don't think there's really anything I can think to add that you won't have already thought of and won't be added in the standard course of development.  Being able to use the cursor to select who attacks would be good, I guess.  More and better loot?  Not very helpful, I know.

I couldn't find an airship.  Is there one?

At level 31, go to one of the towers with white tops(they are usually close to mountains, for example, you can see them in the scorched area in the south of the mountains in the south of the beginning zone).

Thanks for replying! I will add information on what they do. Right now, I am in the process of adding mouse support and higher resolution.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:03:10 AM by PDF » Logged
Curseman
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 03:49:09 PM »

The sorcerer's "arcane torrent" power is ridiculously overpowered.  It can do more damage than the final boss has hp at level 1.
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 05:48:01 PM »

Fun little diversion. Are the forts supposed to be empty? Also, a slightly higher encounter rate might be nice, or at least different for each terrain?

Found a bug:

for object Player:

Error in code at line 8:
   if collision_point(x,y,castle,1,1).name="Highfort"

at position 42: Cannot compare arguments.

for object Player:

Error in code at line 8:

for object Player:

Error in code at line 8:

This was at a little castle on a wooden island.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 09:17:11 PM »

I'm actually pretty surprised this game was made in Game Maker.  Given the interface and gameplay... I dunno, it felt like an old ZZT game or something.

You definitely nailed that if that was your intent!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 09:42:35 PM »

Found a bug:

You have an extraordinary talent in finding bugs! There are only 4 castles which don't have a name, and you were able to find one of them! (actually, you will be able to enter castles in the next version, so that's why they had names; I forgot to name 4 of them!)

And Aquin; I first tried to make the game look like a VIC-20 game actually; I added more colors better graphics later. In version 0.3, I hope they will be changed (as in, they will look better).

I am finishing adding mouse support right now; balancing the abilities, adding content and map/castle design (of course, in each version, the map will change) will take some time. I believe I will be able to finish the next version in 3 days (of course, there is Ludum Dare right now, but I am really fast with game maker right now, so I will just make an Incursion clone, I believe).
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »

Apparently, in my little world, 3 days equals half a year.

But no, I've not forgotten Sunwake; not totally, at least. I've uploaded a new version!

Download Sunwake 0.5

It is possible that some people with nVidia cards will have display problems. For me to fix the issue, I need people with this problem send some screenshots from different screens.

I intend to upload another version in a week, which will unlock some of the new content which I wasn't able to complete.
Curseman
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 04:55:36 PM »

What's new in 0.5?
Eraser
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »

The instructions at the bottom of the screen when creating a character was often unnecessary. Ex, entering name "press R to reroll stats"...

Pressing H to show info in a battle didn't hide "Player's turn" text.
It would be very nice if I could hold the arrow keys to move, vs. continuously pressing.
Your readme file is blank.
The numbers after the names of the players meant nothing to me, as you never say what they are. It was after a few battles I realized it was HP.
Your hotkeys often make no sense. "T" to ignore getting an item, "A" to create a character? How about "I" for Ignore, and "C" for Create?
I managed to walk on magma when there was a potential battle there
In dungeons, after battles I'm warped outside..? Going back inside the castle I'm put back where I belong, at least.

Really, this seems to be beta quality so far. I don't even know what to do, other than go through random dungeons in castles, as I can't go anywhere by land, and I can't find either ship.
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:22:41 AM »

Thanks for replying!

The instructions at the bottom of the screen when creating a character was often unnecessary. Ex, entering name "press R to reroll stats"...

I don't see a problem here; you should realize that the text you are talking about stays there during all addition phase so that the player would certainly see it.

Pressing H to show info in a battle didn't hide "Player's turn" text.

Yes! I've had never needed to check the stats screen during battles before, thanks!

It would be very nice if I could hold the arrow keys to move, vs. continuously pressing.
Don't you think it is better this way? You should realize that random encounters are not really roguelike-like, and might be frustrating when combined with continuous presses. Also take the small size of the game world into account.

The numbers after the names of the players meant nothing to me, as you never say what they are. It was after a few battles I realized it was HP.
Your hotkeys often make no sense. "T" to ignore getting an item, "A" to create a character? How about "I" for Ignore, and "C" for Create?
Think "A" for "Add". I agree that my wording could have fit better though. I did not use "I" since it may create some problems with certain keyboards, and is more to the right in a keyboard compared to the rest of the buttons.

I managed to walk on magma when there was a potential battle there

Yes, but this is intentional. I thought that it is possible the adventurers wait near the magma to pull out a creature; wouldn't you agree? Also, it lets you break the game in a funny and fitting way.

In dungeons, after battles I'm warped outside..?

That is... puzzling. My coding does not permit such a bug to appear. Indeed, I've tested it and wasn't able to find a bug.

I don't even know what to do, other than go through random dungeons in castles, as I can't go anywhere by land, and I can't find either ship.

I'm afraid it is impossible for me to do anything about this problem. The game was made to encourage exploration, and indeed it should be find the docks by yourself, and later, the mountain towers. You can even create a pirate which will grant you access to ships immediately, and will allow you to leave the starting area via the river. The game really shouldn't make you feel lost.

Thanks for your response!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic