Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:01:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Anyone want to help my band with an album cover?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Anyone want to help my band with an album cover?  (Read 2474 times)
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:38:12 AM »

Hello Art Board.

I come with a request. Over the next month my band is looking to record our first album. We're doing everything ourselves, including the packaging. And have it all done by Sept 20th. We thought however that we would ask around to see if any artist wanted to design our album cover, so I figured I'd bring this to you guys as there's some great work on the board here.

We can't really offer much in terms of payment, but it means that you art will get tossed around to music reviewers and media outlets as well as in the hands of whoever grabs a copy at one of our shows. If things work out then we're also looking for an artist that we can come back too for other things too. If that happens then we can talk about payments in exchange for the work.

The albums will be silk screened by hand onto these packages. So we're thinking about just using one or two colours max, as it's going to be a lot of work silk screening all of these. We're open to any art styles and ideas that anyone might have. Obviously pixel art is welcome, but not a must.

Here's a link to our myspace page so you can hear what the music is like, if you want to hear more tracks then send me a msg and I can make that happen. Anyone interested?
http://www.myspace.com/bearclaps

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »

I'm going to be starting college in a little bit, so I don't know how crazy it's gonna get, but I'd love to work with you guys on a cover design. I tend to do more 'cartoony' designs, but I'm flexible.

For design ideas, this album cover from My Morning Jacket popped into my head as a possible source:

If you're interested, I've got a bunch of stuff up here and here.
dmeets
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:23:06 AM »

I might be interested in this, but are you guys just screening the cover or are you going to put designs on the inside flaps and back?
Derakon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:26:23 AM »

Guys, note that johngate2100 bumped this thread (with a rather pointless post, too). It's almost a year old...
Renton
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:29:15 AM »

Oh shit. Thanks for that.
dmeets
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 10:30:12 AM »

Guys, note that johngate2100 bumped this thread (with a rather pointless post, too). It's almost a year old...

Whoops! I got all excited, I even did a mockup on paper for these guys! Wow.

The guy's signature goes to a manufacturing company that probably did the cardboard thingamajigs for them. I dunno.

I dunno about you guys, but I suddenly want to still make the album cover because I had an okay idea for it and damned if I don't let it look finished.

sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:57:37 AM »

Since this is a bit of a massive jump, I figured I'd share with people what the end result ended up being with this project. We went with the cardboard sleeves and also ended up using a design by one of the band mates which was silk screened onto the sleeves. The album was inspired by the like of Jacques Cousteau and other explorers, so we were trying to go with that vibe.

Front Cover

Insert Cover

There were also images on the back of the album and throughout the insert but I don't have the images on my computer here. Basically explorer stuff. Mountains. Dude fighting a giant squid. Planting a flag at the bottom of the ocean. You know, regular explorer stuff.

Had a lot of fun making these. If I were to do it again, and I will very soon, I'd get someone else to do all the silk screening... It's fun the first time, but after a while...

If any artists still want to work together in the future then drop me a line. I'm always on the lookout for new interesting artists to connect with in different ways.

Edit: It's maybe worth noting that my band changed it's name from bear claps to woodsfolk during the recording of this album, hence the different name in the first post. Unfortunately this band is no more as work had a integral member move away. I've since started a new band called Kings Quest. We're recording in my studio right now and we'll probably be looking for album designers soon.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:02:20 AM by sugarbeard » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic