Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:48:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessRaising money
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Raising money  (Read 2904 times)
Ajene
« on: August 20, 2009, 06:40:20 PM »

Anyone know any good ways a student can raise money for supplies? we wanna get into making Iphone games but we need a mac.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »

Get a job?

weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 08:00:23 PM »

A carpenter that doesn't own a hammer is going to have a lot of trouble finding an investor.

I second getting a job. Smiley Or looking to the other regular sources: Family, friends, loan sharks, etc.

IndieElite4Eva
alspal
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »

Go on to the streets and beg for money.
undertech
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 11:23:18 PM »

Check the uni paper classifieds. Always some wacky ad or another promising you the big buck$$$.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 11:59:23 PM »

a job is overkill if you just need a mac. you can get a mac for around $600 (mac mini) new, probably around $400 used. that's two weeks at minimum wage. why get a job and hold it just for two weeks if all you need is $400? plus if you kept it longer it'd cut into development time and make it very hard to finish games -- i don't know of any very successful shareware/commercial indie developer who also has a day job. it just sucks away all one's time.

you could try doing freelance work for people, or using kickstarter, or doing chores for people, or a temp job.

if you have any skills, monetize them. if you can write, do ghostwriting, if you can do graphics, do them for shareware developers for pay, if you can write music, the same, if you can code flash or php, code someone's webpage for pay.

or sell things you own. if you have a bunch of legos or games, sell them on eBay. i own a copy of suikoden 2, which goes for around $100 on eBay -- same for many other rare games -- if i needed extra money i'd sell those.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:02:38 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 02:03:57 AM »

There's nothing wrong with picking a short-term job to raise money. I used to do it when I was a student. For example I got hired to move some boxes in a magazine. Sucky job but paid well, as the magazine owner just wanted to have it done quickly. I worked my ass off for few days, got cash, bought new PC.
There's a plenty of people willing to hire a student to do some dirty job for them.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 04:06:28 AM »

Two words:
Pharmaceutical. Experimentations.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 04:22:04 AM »

If you've got the skills to make an iPhone game you could try guru.com as a source of money, maybe?

Ajene
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 12:21:44 PM »

Ok thanks, though a job is out of the question, live in a very small town and noone hiring, especially since NASA is closing people are losing jobs and not hiring students, went the whole summer looking and got screwed working with this one guy he still owes me $217, and one of the other guys on our team $430

But yea i might do what u said paul, I can try to sell art, and do web designs I'm good with graphic stuff and my friend has some web knowledge.
obscure
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 10:44:51 PM »

i don't know of any very successful shareware/commercial indie developer who also has a day job. it just sucks away all one's time.
Unfortunately the OP isn't a successful indie developer, he is just starting out.
Most successful indie developers don't have day jobs exactly because they are successful. However they all admit that when they started out they didn't earn anything like enough to live on and had to have day jobs to survive.

The gold rush on iPhone is long over and the chances that the OPs first game will make a significant amount of money are small at best. Becoming an indie is a long term goal. You need to develop more than one game (and be around for long enough for people to learn of your existence) before you will earn anything significant.

Dan Marchant
Gamekeeper turned poacher
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 07:26:09 PM »

i don't know of any very successful shareware/commercial indie developer who also has a day job. it just sucks away all one's time.

I think many of them started with making indie games working around a day job though. I have a day job and, while I wish I had more time, I still have enough to get a decent amount of work done on weeknights/weekends.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 07:41:22 PM »

Two words:
Pharmaceutical. Experimentations.

I actually had a fantastic career as a guinea pig at Novum for a few months, until they decided that my body was not representative of a normal human so I became ineligible to participate.  Crazy

It was pretty fun while it lasted. They fed me good food and paid me to sit around and play video games and not die. But now the syringe scar that makes me look like a druggie has mostly healed.  Shrug
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic