Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:12:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessselling games on usb sticks?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: selling games on usb sticks?  (Read 5984 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2009, 02:46:39 AM »

one example: http://store.tale-of-tales.com/product/the-path-deluxe-collectors-edition

a good alternative for selling games on cd / digital download, or just a gimmick? it's nice to have something useful come along with the game (something that can be used for other purposes). i wonder how to get these custom-made. but i imagine the expense adds a lot to the price.

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 02:56:16 AM »

The place where I work had them printed at this place (sorry, Swedish only); http://www.parnass.se/usb-minne.html

Which would be some $5 per copy, assuming you can fit it in 256 MB and are going to order at least 250 of them...
Charcoal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 03:03:21 AM »

I was thinking about this a few months ago, for a limited physical release of my game.

I was going to do it by hand on my computer and buying around 20 1gig USB sticks.
The cheapest I found was ~$5.13AUD each, from a cheap Hong Kong supplier.

Obviously this was much more expensive than burning disks.

You might have an opportunity to get the sticks cheaper.
Possibly even through a professional service, so it'll be cheaper in time for you, too.

But for me, I'll stick with disks.

I<3G
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 03:18:58 AM »

cheap usb sticks are very prone to break, and in some cases to shortcircuit your usb port or burn others usb periphericals. DO NOT use them D:

Also CD-Roms (maybe even DVDs) are cheaper...

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 03:24:54 AM »

you wouldn't have to necessarily use the cheapest possible ones. you could use good quality ones and just hike the price for the game/usb combo up to compensate. the path's for example was 25 euros.

a nice one i found (the wooden stick design would go well with my next game): http://www.memorysuppliers.com/usbfldrsttw1.html -- it's expensive though

in any case couldn't you buy a couple first and do some testing to see if it works well and doesn't shortcircuit etc.? you wouldn't have to trust shoddy products if you buy some ahead of time

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 03:34:54 AM »

To be honest, this sounds gimmicky to me. It would have to come on a pretty spacious USB stick to make me want to go through the extra expense of buying it that way.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 03:43:03 AM »

what size is spacious? the path does 1gb -- would more be better?

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 03:43:57 AM »

i'd rather buy a cd version of a game, the usb one is really out of my mind. CDs are nicer than usb sticks also because the printed cover and such...

Paul that wooden stick is quite ugly imo :\

i'd possibly buy something like a cute plushie with an usb stick inside, at least it will be decorative and not plain weird.. i'm thinking about a Gomez plushie with a zip containing the stick with Fez on it, or maybe with a hole somewhere.. but that could be good only for a sort of "collector edition"

Also indie games most of the times doesn't even have a cd version.. why bother with usb sticks?

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 03:56:10 AM »

i'd possibly buy something like a cute plushie with an usb stick inside, at least it will be decorative and not plain weird.. i'm thinking about a Gomez plushie with a zip containing the stick with Fez on it, or maybe with a hole somewhere.. but that could be good only for a sort of "collector edition"

U.B.Funkeys do this:

They're sold as toys, which you can plug in to get some kind of social-computer-game-thing (I don't really know what).

http://www.ubfunkeysblog.com/

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 03:58:41 AM »

the main advantage of usb sticks over cds is that usb sticks are useful for something besides holding the game. they're just a lot more expensive too

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 04:02:27 AM »

I was thinking about this too, as a deluxe version of th cartridge model. But USB stick are much more expensive than CD/DVD disks and they don't offer any protection agianst privacy.
That said if someone creates a stick with some sort of copy protection it could become interesting.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 01:31:03 PM »

the main advantage of usb sticks over cds is that usb sticks are useful for something besides holding the game. they're just a lot more expensive too

I like the idea of them (usb sticks) being usable after the game has been installed/discarded, but personally anything less than 1GB would be useless to me and so end up as more clutter in the draw/desk (like old 128MB camera cards I have, impractical in modern cameras really).

I guess usb sticks could work well made in short runs as marketing gimmicks, but for games that already have some good marketing (so folks that spot the usb stick go `oh that game - cool, must pop to the shops to buy that later`).
If folks dont know about game X, then seeing a usb stick with some name on it won't mean anything to them.

Ideally any physical media should be fully recyclable! Compost-able cds, now there's an idea Wink

weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 01:38:10 PM »

I think the main assumptions here are:

- Everyone wants USB sticks (over CDs)
- USB sticks are re-usable, and will be re-used

I'm sure even a cursory glance at the state of the industry will prove both of those false for most people - which leaves only the "Gimmick" factor.

I dislike that "Gimmick" has become a "bad word" these days, I think gimmicks are neat and cool. So the only question is: Will this gimmick make up for the extra cost of production?

That depends on your target market. If your target market is other Indie Devs and gaming geeks, they probably won't be too impressed. If your target market is people that specifically don't have USB sticks yet... well perfect!

I think, classically speaking, USB-released media has always been a "bonus" or a "thankyou" for big fans of the product; not as a selling point or a marketing schtick for the average joe.

IndieElite4Eva
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 01:50:22 PM »

I think the main assumptions here are:

- Everyone wants USB sticks (over CDs)
- USB sticks are re-usable, and will be re-used

I'm sure even a cursory glance at the state of the industry will prove both of those false for most people - which leaves only the "Gimmick" factor.

I dislike that "Gimmick" has become a "bad word" these days, I think gimmicks are neat and cool. So the only question is: Will this gimmick make up for the extra cost of production?

That depends on your target market. If your target market is other Indie Devs and gaming geeks, they probably won't be too impressed. If your target market is people that specifically don't have USB sticks yet... well perfect!

I think, classically speaking, USB-released media has always been a "bonus" or a "thankyou" for big fans of the product; not as a selling point or a marketing schtick for the average joe.

Or you could just resell USB sticks of 4/8/16gb size, and have your game added in as a gimmick!  Roll Eyes

Actually, doing something like that as a "2-in-1" deal might be pretty profitable.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 10:28:04 PM »

2 GB and above would be a selling point. Anything less, and it would just end up mostly being clutter on my desk.

bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 12:30:35 AM »

At 4 times less the cost of 50 USB sticks (2GB) you can get a 100 pack of DVD cases, have your DVDs and DVD covers custom printed, and add in a glossy map.
Your choice though  Wink
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 02:50:18 AM »

still, dvds aren't reusable, and take up more space. besides, there's no reason you only have to offer *one* of them as options: you can sell a game through digital download, usb, and cd/dvd

Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 04:41:37 AM »

Being able to reuse the storage medium I buy the game on would be very interesting to me. Especially as I don't have any USB sticks and really should get one.
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 04:50:43 AM »

I'm with you on downloadable and physical sales running in parallel. In regards to physical sales, think of the DVD and the USB stick as packaging to your main product, the game you're making.

Art on the DVD and accompanying maps tie into your product.
Re-usability and less space on the other hand, don't, because they're properties of the packaging alone. They have nothing to do with your product.

Another consideration is the final price point:
If you offer quality DVDs for $19.99 and quality USB sticks for $19.99, what incentive does the potential buyer have to pay for the USB stick, knowing he's getting less game-product value than the DVD version?
In short, are you in the business of selling games, or branded USB sticks?

Nonetheless, USB sticks are great for contests, and for marketing give-aways. I'm sure the guys at Joystiq would be at least intrigued by a well made promotional item.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 05:11:09 AM »

you wouldn't really be able to sell them at the same price point. it might be 15$ for downloadable, 25$ for cd/dvd, and 35$ for usb, due to the differing expenses involved.

usb for limited edition contests/giveaways/review copies is a good idea though. there could be a very limited number of them, say, 100

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic