Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:35:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsA Man With a Monocle
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: A Man With a Monocle  (Read 9818 times)
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 07:57:07 AM »

Well actually it's something we are considering but we want to focus on the pc/mac/linux versions first and then perhaps later we might release for the xblig. The conversion could take quite some time since we'd be swtiching from C++ to C# and from SDL to XNA but it's definitively something I'd love to do.

Thanks by the way !  Gentleman
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »

Devlog of the day

Here's another idea I had which I think could be interesting as well as add a lot of replayablity.

In some games there is the Iron Man difficulty mode where you have to go through the whole game without ever dieing, if you do you'll have to restart it all over again.
It can be very frustrating if you fail, but reaching the end can also be incredibly satisfying.

So my idea was taking that mode and putting it into AMWAM with a few slight modifications. The game is rather large and is already pretty hard to beat with unlimited lives so the player will have one extra life point (other the one you can unlock by getting a certain number of golden bones, so you start with 3 and can end the game with 4) to make sure it's actually possible to reach the end without ever dieing (though believe me, it will still be very hard).

To make things more interesting, this mode will feature new levels that aren't in the main game but dieing means the game is over and it will reset the save file automatically (and right after you die) so no cheating is possible.

However, and to make sure the experience is as satisfying and rewarding as possible, by beating the game in this mode you'll be able to unlock the alternative ending to the game and it's own cutscene.

I haven't undecided if I will allow this mode to be available in the beginning or if it will be an unlockable feature, but the last one is the most likely option.

In other news, the site for the game is almost finished, nothing outstanding but it will do.   Tongue
Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 12:52:06 PM »

In some games there is the Iron Man difficulty mode where you have to go through the whole game without ever dieing,

The prince of persia 2.5D remake had that. My friend spent months playing it on and off trying to beat it without dying and under a tight time limit at the same time. Best make it an ulockable as you are suggesting cause it's only for hardcore nutjobs(of which there are plenty)

To make things more interesting, this mode will feature new levels that aren't in the main game but dieing means the game is over and it will reset the save file automatically (and right after you die) so no cheating is possible.
that's just evil. Imagine if they had done that in Rick Dangerous. Actually the whole game was pretty much like that in Rick Dangerous. Make sure those levels are short enough that they won't take a good player a loads of lives to get through but long enough (and at least one early enough) that players completing the normal game go ooh there is a bit extra, before they start cursing and throwing things at the screen that is.

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 05:31:05 AM »

Actually I like that kinda feature quite a lot, it would be cool if VVVVVV had a difficulty mode like that.
btw the trailer looks absolutely great. Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 06:58:51 AM »

Thanks !   Smiley

Zenorf: Yeah we've already decided, the Iron Monocle difficulty mode will be an unlockable.
btw Rick Dangerous was one of my main inspiration while designing the game.  Beer!

oh and here's a higher quality version of that last trailer I posted:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:35:04 PM by MikeDee » Logged
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 06:39:50 AM »

well both trailers look very much the same, the difference between both isn't that noticeable.
Good to hear rick dangerous is an inspiration though  Beer!

Shiny_Toad
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 05:43:19 AM »

Like the art style a lot!

My Word!
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 01:11:13 PM »

Thanks Shiny Toad !  Grin

The game is now close to completion and is going to be released the 15th April, along with a demo and a trailer.  Gentleman

Here's a few new screenshots:

JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 10:52:15 AM »

looking gooood Kiss
Also, lots of variety in there, I like.  Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley

MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »

Thanks ! Grin

We just launched the official site for the game:
http://amanwithamonocle.neogen2.com

Still a bit on the wip side, but fully functional. Grin
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 08:14:44 PM »

Saw the gameplay video, looks pretty cool!

One thing I'd suggest (if it's not too late for suggestions) is to get a couple of particle effects in, particularly on the wrench collect and the enemy death/despawns. When they just disappear there doesn't seem to be quite enough visual feedback.

Good luck!

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 08:15:57 PM »

The art style in this reminds me of some game from my childhood, but I can't remember what it is.

JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »

Yeah, looking at the trailer, this game reminds me a bit of some of the last 2D platformers that came out for the PC like Heart of Darkness, and to a lesser extent, Rayman 1.
btw I agree with Jason, some particle effects would look great indeed.  Gentleman
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:31:11 PM by JackieJay » Logged

MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 05:20:14 AM »

Jason: Mmmmh.. I think it's still possible, I'll try my hand at it. Thanks btw ! Grin

JackieJay: Thanks, the comparison flatters me. Grin
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 01:08:36 PM »

Hey everyone !

Even though the game is technically done, we decided to delay the release of the game for a few weeks so we could add a few more extras and go through another beta testing phase and polish whatever rough edges still remain.

One of those extras is new game mode/campaign called Charles's Downfall where you play as a different character and with the gameplay slightly changed, but the story is still connected to the main campaign. You can unlock this mode by beating the game in normal difficulty mode. Once you beat this campaign, you can play the main game with the new character.

Another of the new extras is the support for fan made campaigns, the respective tools being released with the  game.

And that's all for today. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:24:11 PM by MikeDee » Logged
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 01:31:05 PM »

This game looks so awesome! I can't wait to play it.
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 01:24:36 PM »

Good stuff !

Definitely a must buy for me  Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 08:33:42 PM by JackieJay » Logged

MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 06:58:03 PM »

Thanks a lot for the support guies !  Smiley

I've been extremely busy with uni stuff, but hopefully the game will be released within a few weeks. The game itself is done and beta tested, the only thing left is the extra modes and finishing up the level making tools.

More news soon !  Gentleman
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 09:17:02 AM »

I'm finally done with my Uni exams, and I'm now working on the game almost full time so expect it to be released very soon, probably this week since the only thing left to do is beta test it .

Much love ! Grin
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 05:26:51 PM »

Oh great to see you didn't give up on the game, it would be a real shame.
Can't wait to try it out!  Gentleman

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic