Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:57:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Coloring Advice
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Coloring Advice  (Read 1332 times)
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2009, 07:47:04 PM »

Screenshot of environment:

Boss Character(No Coloring):

(On the last frame (With his sword pointing), he'll be sliding)

Now, I'd like opinions and crits on everything here, but I specifically want ideas on how I should color my character to fit in with the tiles I posted above him.
Thanks for reading.

jwk5
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:46:55 PM »

I am not sure whether you plan to have the boss character solid (like the figure in the tile mapped images) or if it will have a variety of colors, but either way I would recommend one of the following for your character's main color (for best impact):

An intense blue on the green level will give you a pretty nice impact that is not overbearing (such as the central right image of each set). Dark red would also work nicely. A medium brown will give you nice impact on the blue level (the central left images of the sets).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:50:47 PM by jwk5 » Logged
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:56:28 PM »

Hmm, currently, the sprite is just a dark color and is changed based on the surroundings, It'd be easy enough to do that, but what I wanted to know was whether or not I should use 1, solid color to make the character, or whether I should actually color it however the hell I want, ignoring it's surroundings and restrictions.

jwk5
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »

Maybe something like that (though not necessarily that color scheme). It only utilizes 4 different colors so it still keeps with the minimalist feel of the backgrounds. The rear leg and arm are a mute (low saturation, gray-ish) because as things recede into the distance they lose saturation (this is due to dust particles in the atmosphere intercepting light rays). Because your backgrounds are fairly mute that should give you some pretty nice depth.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic