Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:15:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsIndie Card Story (Indie games crossover card game)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Indie Card Story (Indie games crossover card game)  (Read 17818 times)
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 10:02:15 AM »

indeed. I was thinking of adding Locations in an expansion, but that's kinda silly, isn't it.

PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 07:19:05 AM »

Is this baby still on the makin' or what?

I was just looking at the first post and the types of cards just don't sit right with me.
Existing types were:
- Hero: Heroic protagonists.
- Evil: Evil beings.
- Cute: Cute roundish creatures and animals.
- Mind: Wizards, psychics or intelligent dudes.
- Heart: Dudes with plenty of emotion and sociableness.
- Robot: Mechanical, virtual and cybernetical organisms.
- Support: Support characters.
- Unknown: Cyphers and unknown quantities.

But I think they could be: (more will be added if needed)
- Hero: Heroic protagonists. It would be nice if they produced some kind of points while they were in play, to make it seem as if Heroes are really needed to win.

- Villian: Villianous antagonists. Reserved for the main bosses of a game. Perhaps they can only be defeated by heroes? Expensive.

- Mob: Weak minion types that are stomped on, often cute, but most animals in games are with the bad guys, right? So "cute" seemed an odd typing. Rather than appearing singularly, a Mob card depicts several creatures. Example: Cave Bat = WRONGBAD, A Colony of Cave Bats = Good!, Critter = OHNOES, Pouncing Critters = Yes!
I also imagine some Mob cards would be able to call another Mob card forth, so while they are weak they can overflow the game if they aren't dealt with.

- Mind, Heart, Robot? Seems weird, can't a robot be a hero or a villian? Why does it matter so much in the card game?

- So, lets mix those togethor and get a Sideliner: A powerful character that is neither hero or villian or support. Maybe they don't attack other players, but grant huge game changing effects. Something like ...a Nethack's Mindflayer card, which causes a confusion effect that forces the players to swap their two most powerful cards, then the Mindflayer is removed from play. Another idea could be a card that has a lot of hp and just sits there. Big Laff

- Support: Support characters. Seems perfectly reasonable! Perhaps these cards could have a passive ability called Loyalty (or Support even) which means they can't harm a particular card. See Damsel for the Spelunky spelunker. Perhaps your opponent can steal some Support cards if he has the right card, not all support cards would be like that or I think it would get annoying. Mainly healing type cards.

- Mystery: Cyphers and unknown quantities. I just wanna call 'em MYSTERY CARDS! Ooo. Oh, wait, maybe Sideliners are Mystery cards. So call them which ever.

So we've gone from 8 to 5 or 6 types of cards!
But wait, how about two more brand new types?

Location: I've said this already, but how about the players flipping a coin (or something if it ends up being played online) and then the winning player puts into play a Location card that changes the way the whole game is played. Giving the match an effect like "No Character Cards at L5" or "All Attacks +1". Some cards might be able to alter Location, but its mainly to help the players pretend this battle is happening somewhere.

Items: I'm not sure...but the character cards should be able to ITEM GET. Ahem. I mean you should be able to place items on those cards. This is a good method of freeing up a character card, for instance, you don't have to give Quote every gun and power up, make it an item for everyones use. I wouldn't just settle for weapons either, old standards like Platform Game Springs and Crubbling Blocks could be considered items.

All this from someone who hasn't played a collectable card game.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:26:13 AM by PANPOMMA » Logged
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 10:38:38 AM »

OK maybe I worded things confusingly.

Card types right now are Character, Equipment and Action. Characters can belong to one or more of the types Hero, Evil, Cute, Mind, Heart (now Love), Robot (now Machine), Support and Unknown.

These subtypes will probably change as I get more cards and rebalance it all.

John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 12:04:09 PM »

It helps that you can be more than one card type, but I prefer the simpler types from PANPOMMA.

Might be that as of now, types have to explicit effect on things; are they only important because of other card's effects, as in "this move does double damage to Machines", "does not effect Evil types", "+2 against Mind types," that sort of thing? Is it just a tag to illustrate the type of moves they'll have? I'm sure certain Equipment will only be usable by certain types, and I'd imagine Support would be different, anyways.

Didn't mean to get all fancy when rules are still in planning stages, but I was just mostly curious.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 09:22:28 AM »

Holy shit how did I not know about this?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »

booyah

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:25:14 PM by Zaratustra » Logged

twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 03:59:22 PM »

OMG, this is awesome...
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 01:06:59 PM »

yo dude have you tried playing this? is it PLEH-abl?
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 02:33:41 PM »

Definitely needs to be playable before making all cards Tongue Can we play?

If you need help testing this there's probably a way to do so using something like Apprentice or that other app I just can't remember the name of...

Anyway let me know if you need a player.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 10:59:38 PM »

Why is Tim a Love-type character? Don't you know that he invented the atomic bomb?

itsmeyouidiot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »

I'd love to see a freeware game based on this. Of course, a physical card game is good too.
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 10:17:38 AM »

Epileptic this is such an awesome idea. It'd be really cool to see all the characters drawn in a uniform art style as well.

I'd love to see a freeware game based on this.

I swear I remember a pokemon trading card game for the gameboy. Something like that could be tried I suppose, but with online capabilities so trade-age could occur.  Smiley

Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10848.0

Well, hello there!
johntax
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 03:13:29 PM »

Hi guys

after checking the rules, i got a few ideas to share.

1. AP : maybe we could (yeah, i'm a player too)think about a way of counting the AP:

using some card (as "magic CCG"), like RAM, GPU, CPU or something which can give more AP.

(it would be the AP for the player, who could use them with one or the other character)

2. Characters must have a cost. Getting any card from the hand to the game land would create a very unbalanced game.

That's why we should use some card for that : putting Tim could cost something like XX mhz (given by GPU, CPU...) as he can never die, then a not that good character would cost less. This is the only way to avoid the injustice of the card draw : it's easier to put a small character in game than a big fat boss.

As for the three character max in game: if you must pay to use character, then you should have as much as you want, and then you choose a way to defend or not. You played Magic ?? it was a well balanced game thanks to that.

3. I'm thinking about using the location card as some usefull equipment :

Underwater would help water character - Underground would help Spelunky or La Mulana  character (with some icon on the card) as egg corridor would help Doukutsu character.

In the same way we could use "SONG CARD". (as Aquaria SongName, or doukutsu song name or anything). It would work as protection for the player who put it in game. As the location, the song card would be destroyed when another come in game.

(We should have a list of all the characters too, could be handfull).

I guess you had quite an idea, and i follow you (i'd like to do the card design, with more details than there was on the thread. As character level, price, creating some icon (HOW THE HELL WHOU'D YOU DESIGN A "cute" ICON??)You cards are well done, but i'd like to try that.

I'm sorry if i overreact and i look that someone who want to take over the game, but i just like the idea (well, i joined TIG forum for THIS game dude !D) ZARATUSTRA, you're DA MAN;

Tell me if you're okay with that.

The current Threat Level of the game equals the highest level of a Character in play (Equipments considered), plus one. You can't play characters of a higher level than the current Threat Level.
Does that mean that : when there's no character in game, there's no threat level, then you can't put a character in play ??

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »

Threat Level is always a minimum of 1.

Now you can play this on Lackey, just ask it to update from the URL:

http://zara.verge-rpg.com/indiecard/updatelist.txt

shig
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2010, 03:52:33 AM »

If damsel gets hit by anything that deals 3 dmg or less, she'll ignore the damage and lose the next turn.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 10:10:41 PM »

Just like in Spelunky :D

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2010, 06:23:43 AM »

1. AP : maybe we could (yeah, i'm a player too)think about a way of counting the AP:

using some card (as "magic CCG"), like RAM, GPU, CPU or something which can give more AP.

2. Characters must have a cost. Getting any card from the hand to the game land would create a very unbalanced game.

That's why we should use some card for that : putting Tim could cost something like XX mhz (given by GPU, CPU...) as he can never die, then a not that good character would cost less. This is the only way to avoid the injustice of the card draw : it's easier to put a small character in game than a big fat boss.

I agree that cards should have a cost, but there should not be a card especially for that. I have read a bunch of articles and interviews about Magic's land mechanic, which for them was an handicap after a couple years, since one third of any deck needs to be land cards, plus the obvious addition of luck in terms of "Will I draw a second land in the first few turns?". That's why games like Marvel/DC VS use ANY card as a resource, but adds only one per turn. Eye of Judgment adds 2 resource points per turn, plus more points when one of you character dies for some rubber-banding.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 02:30:09 PM »

it is now wikied

http://dvorakgame.co.uk/index.php/Indie_Card_Story_CCG_card_set

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 09:57:14 PM »

dooj, cards
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/65/indiez.png