Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:21:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Undergrounder - WIP
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Undergrounder - WIP  (Read 6047 times)
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2009, 12:23:58 PM »

Hi guys, at the moment I'm working on this game:

The undergrounder is an action/puzzle game based on the hard life of millions of workers that every day have to use the underground to commute to work.

The player plays the role of a worker that needs to travel around a city using the underground for his/her duties.
Even if this could seem a simple and boring activity, there are a lot of hazards making things hard and challenging every day: underground faults and congestions, strikes, work rivals... Everything makes regular duties become challenges against the passing time.

The game is currently under development for Windows, Mac and Linux and a first beta release is planned for 2010 Q2, so more it's going to be shown soon in our dev-blog and announced on Twitter.
For any game related discussion, users can use the dedicated folder in our forum or join our IRC chat to discuss in real-time with the developers.

As I wrote, I'm going to cover most of the development in our dev-blog, but I'm also going to post here the main updates (first game screenshot, first beta, first release, etc...).

LATEST SCREENSHOTS

UPDATES

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:07:40 PM by m3xican » Logged

Davide "m3xican" Coppola - Vindicta Games

Sim Betting Football, the only football betting simulation game
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:29:50 PM »

after "only" 7 weeks it's time for the first "important" update!

Yesterday I finished a first version of the level editor, this is a screenshot:

The graphics used in the editor won't be used for the game, but they can give you an idea about what the game's graphic style is going to be.

The editor is totally based on a OpenGL GUI framework I started to develop when I announced the project.
For now most of the development has been focused on the GUI, but starting from next week the focus will be moved on the game, so I hope to show you something new soon. Wink

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 02:34:03 PM »

Not using wxWidgets for the editor then? Wink

m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »

Not using wxWidgets for the editor then? Wink

hahahah, NEVER EVER NEVER  :D

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 02:38:37 PM »

:D

once bitten...

m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 02:45:11 PM »

I guess using wxWidgets so long is the main reason why I decided to create my own library, but please, don't say anything to Richie Grin

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »

I'm starting to use wxWidgets. Is there something I should know, aside from it being vaguely annoying to use?
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »

it's old and ugly

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 11:11:36 PM »

So is this like a route-finding game? Do you play one entity or many? Are you controlling the system or travelling through it?

m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 02:23:59 AM »

I'm starting to use wxWidgets. Is there something I should know, aside from it being vaguely annoying to use?

I don't like several of their design choices and sometime I feel like if the API lacks of coherence, anyway it's free and OS, so probably nobody should complain too much, but I'm a coder, so I'm always swearing for something Smiley

So is this like a route-finding game? Do you play one entity or many? Are you controlling the system or travelling through it?

At last a non-wxWidgets question Grin

More than a route-finding is a route-planning game, so probably it's more an action/strategy than an action/puzzle game.

Anyway the basic concept is you are a worker (so a single entity) and have to travel around a city (level) for your duties.
It's a route-planning game because the game it's not just going from the point A to the point B, it's more finding the best way to your destination according to the dynamic state of the level (lines closed, stations packed at rush hours, train delays, etc...), the power-ups placed on the several lines and other factors.

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 02:49:13 AM »

Interesting idea, but to be honest it sounds a bit too close to my real life to be something I'd be drawn to play for fun. Are you going for realism? Or will it have humorous/exaggerated/action elements to spice up gameplay? Like, if there were some baddies to evade, or something.

m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 02:32:01 AM »

Interesting idea, but to be honest it sounds a bit too close to my real life to be something I'd be drawn to play for fun. Are you going for realism? Or will it have humorous/exaggerated/action elements to spice up gameplay? Like, if there were some baddies to evade, or something.

I think using real life as inspiration for a game doesn't mean killing the fun, the only important thing is the gameplay.
We're definitely not going for a simulation or any kind of realism, The Undergrounder will be a (quick) action game based on a daily life "game" Wink

m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 05:58:26 AM »

A new update, even if it's not totally related to The Undergrounder.

We have a new website: http://www.lowpoly-studios.com
and we started a contest where we are giving away 3 free copies of the game, all the details are on the homepage.

Some sections of the website are still incomplete, like the Games one, but the style is pretty well defined now, so any feedback is welcome! Wink

m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »

Hi guys,

just yesterday I posted the latest news about the game in our dev-blog and I think it's time for posting an update on TigSource too Smiley

In the last months I've been working mostly on the level editor, integrating the game engine for a real-time preview of the levels.
Anyway, most of the progress is showed in the following two videos:

Level Editor BETA2

Level Editor BETA3

There's still a lot to do, especially for the game, but I hope we'll be able to start a closed-beta period in few weeks, maybe a month. I'll keep you posted about it Wink

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »

I really like the everyday-life theme of this game.  I wouldn't worry about being boring with it.  Most people in the world are interested in these kinds of stories. Smiley

Examples of well-known works with everyday life:  Great Expectations, Great Gatsby, Grapes of Wrath, Crime and Punishment, Our Town, Revolutionary Road.

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 08:55:09 AM »

I really like the everyday-life theme of this game.  I wouldn't worry about being boring with it.  Most people in the world are interested in these kinds of stories. Smiley

Thanks godatplay  Smiley

I'm more inclined to the John Carmack's idea of story in a game... players want fun, the story is not the most important part of the game, that's all.
That could be not true for some particular games, but I'm not planning to make any RPG or any other heavy-story-based game for now Grin

m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 05:28:35 AM »

At last it's time for a new update Smiley

We have a new logo for the game (showed in the first message of this thread), the level editor is almost finished and we decided to change the graphic style of the game as you can see in the following video:

You can read the full story on our dev-blog, peace out.

m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 02:00:45 AM »

At last I can show you two screenshots taken from the latest alpha build of the game:

The first one is taken when starting a level, instead the second one after few minutes of play. For a more detailed description and more info check the related post in our dev-blog.

Any comment/feedback is welcome. Smiley

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 01:11:09 AM »

The graphics currently look quite technical and computery... probably not too compelling for a lot of people. Have you thought about making it look a bit more appealing? How about something like this:

?

I think you need more of a graphical hook.

m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 12:45:58 AM »

hey Alex, thanks for the feedback!

I think we're not going for a radical change in the art style, but we had a chat yesterday and now we're reviewing some ideas to improve what we have and make different elements fit better together.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic