Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:17:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJables Adventure Demo 1
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Jables Adventure Demo 1  (Read 11082 times)
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:34:13 AM »

Alright here is the first demo of my game Jables Adventure

Some great feedback would be:
what you liked best/least
what you wish you could do in the game
how long did it take to get through the demo

I have a little trouble with the gun placement at times, but i am going to use a different gun system. You will see it in the next demo [or the full game]

I hope you enjoy

All music and sound effects done by Kevin Carville

Special thanks to Ryan Pietz and Chris Geehan

Download Demo 1

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:22:35 PM by JaJitsu » Logged

MaloEspada
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:54:51 AM »

Just finished it. Really cool dialogue, some very humorous scenes, lol. It took me about 14 minutes to finish the demo. Spoiler: That with 7 HP and the gun, I got to that place where the ground is looking at you. I think that's the end of the demo.

About feedback, I think the enemies should get a hurting animation like Jables does; i also think that you should make the player notice that the squid is right there alongside Jables because sometimes I just went to a screen and the squid was there, waiting for me. Or sometimes I got the apple item and the squid was talking to me, and he wasnt even there. This isn't much of a problem, but I just found it a little weird.

Also, nice reference to keyboard cat, lol. I loved that TV girl too, really cool.
I wish more awesomeness is put into this game! Like that girl and the various references breaking the fourth wall!

Too bad it was too short..  Concerned
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 11:14:56 AM by MaloEspada » Logged
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:02:10 AM »

I liked the game quite a bit.  Very nice sense of humor.

I agree that enemies should have a being damaged animation.  I also thought that going down slopes was rather awkward as the player keeps going off the ground making it hard to jump when going down a slope.  Also, some interactions with other characters, especially the save points, seemed like you had to be in a very specific position for the interaction to register.

All in all, this is looking quite nice, and I definitely look forward to seeing more.   Gentleman

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 11:06:12 AM »

The demo does end at the hill frame.

You can get a total of 11HP Grin

Also when the squid isnt with you he is kind of a narrator
I might just take off his graphic to stop confusion

Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »

Kiss this is great =] really loved the graphics and humourous dialogue. one thing though, for some reason once a conversation had finished with someone Jables would jump as the text box closed. but yeah, excellent stuff

EDIT: oh yeah and it took me about ten minutes. I admit I didn't explore much though as I finished the game with the original 5 health.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:18:41 PM by Aquanoctis » Logged
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 01:11:19 PM »

I'm getting this bizarre sense of Deja Vu from this game, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Seem good so far, although I noticed most of the things pointed out above.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »

Kiss this is great =] really loved the graphics and humourous dialogue. one thing though, for some reason once a conversation had finished with someone Jables would jump as the text box closed. but yeah, excellent stuff

I noticed that, too.  It's when you press the jump button during a dialogue.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 02:11:13 PM »

Oh neat, a demo! It's great to see this coming along so well.

I like how dense the town at the beginning is, and I like the parts where there's fun dialog inserted into the gameplay, like the 'only 10% juice' comment. Things like that make the game feel more alive.

I felt some of the more exploration based parts were a bit empty. I think these parts could benefit from containing more little things to do, like jumping over pits and avoiding enemies and such. Landmarks would also help break up the monotony a bit. But those are really small suggestions.

Over all, I'm just happy to see this coming along, and I really like the atmosphere even at this early stage. Best wishes!
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 02:14:04 PM »

pretty cool, the music was nice. walking down slopes was kinda annoying though, might wanna make the movement smoother on that.

sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 03:40:02 PM »

Cute. As others have said, the graphics start to get a little bit boring because of the small amount of variation.
Also! Parallax! Add it. Everything lacks that extra depth that parallax brings.
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 04:33:57 PM »

Pretty good! Smiley

I liked the graphics and sound, and the engine felt pretty smooth. However, I think, as others have said, walking down slopes needs to be touched up a bit.

I also felt that there should be more variation in the background and tileset. Add some more trees, rocks here and there, maybe even vines or shrubs, etc, just to make it feel a little less empty.
I felt some of the more exploration based parts were a bit empty. I think these parts could benefit from containing more little things to do, like jumping over pits and avoiding enemies and such. Landmarks would also help break up the monotony a bit. But those are really small suggestions.
Quoted for emphasis. I think you need to work on this a fair amount.

Great start, looking forward to more! Smiley

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »

Why does the gun sound different in the first screen?
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 04:57:34 PM »

Cute. As others have said, the graphics start to get a little bit boring because of the small amount of variation.
Also! Parallax! Add it. Everything lacks that extra depth that parallax brings.

I am using parallax on the first two main areas.
Grin

letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »

Very fun! Looking forward to this. There are a couple concerns though: I'm not sure if it was the engine or my computer, but whenever you changed rooms there would be a significant time lag that sometimes hung for up to a minute. Sometimes the way platforms are laid out, you'll hit a tiny wall that's too high to walk up, so you'll have to hop up where it looks like you can just walk. The biggest problem though is yeah, the downward slopes. Right now he kind of falls down them, when he should walk down.

Love the graphical style though! Can't wait to play the full version.

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »

This game is promising. I really liked the squid and the suprise near the end.

The setting reminded me of Link's Awakening; that relaxed village feel. If you're going to add more mis-en-scene I suggest little dandelions that blow away as you walk past them, a la Kirby's Dreamland 3 (and numerous other games).

One bug I noticed: if you press jump while engaged in dialogue you will jump after the dialogue ends.

sloopygoop
Level 0

8-bit magical sounds...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 09:10:52 PM »

About the parallax: It gets a little funky when I am climbing up hills at the end of the first main area.  If I'm standing in one of those dips and move left to jump out of it and onto the ledge, it seems as though the background anticipates my movement and moves just slightly before I do.  Same for if I'm changing directions as I walk.  I like how the different background elements scroll in different ways as I climb the giant hill at the end of the second main area.  The clouds should get some parallax!

I'm not sure if it was the engine or my computer, but whenever you changed rooms there would be a significant time lag that sometimes hung for up to a minute.
Seconded.  This stood out to me as the worst aspect of the demo, and sometimes made me wonder if the game had frozen.

A small glitch I noticed immediately after I got the gun: one frame of the gun blast animation stayed onscreen once when I shot down while jumping.

I think the mayor's office should include some office props, like a desk, plaque, etc.  The building interiors all look the same.  Jables should probably have a "hurt" animation before you finish the game, too, as should the enemies, so you know your shots have done some damage.

I was disappointed that I couldn't talk to the keyboard cat.  The squid in the cave by the spike-pit didn't say anything to me, either.

Love the bits of humor, like the squid's useless advice about jumping, and Jables muttering about how he couldn't buy anything. 

Cool tunes, especially the cave theme.  I got a little bit tired of the main village exploration theme.

Ho-ly crap, the hills have eyes!  THAT freaked me out there.   Grin Nice.  Er...will that become important to the game?  Because that is very, very memorable.

You guys are off to a promising start with this.  Good luck!

My music:
KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 08:24:01 AM »

I like how this game is coming along, too. But yeah, fourth'ding and thirding enemy hurt animations and removing the lag when you switch rooms, respectively. The first time I tried to go into the cave area, it lagged to the point where it stopped responding and crashed.  Concerned

But I really liked the music and the silly humor, too! The style of the game kinda reminds me of that little cartoon short, Adventure Time.

EEEEEEEGH
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 09:37:23 AM »

Thanks for everyone for the feedback! its all great.

Basically what would make it back would be:

More variation in the sprites.
Fix walking downhill
hurt sprites for Jables and the enemies
More enemies.

Fix the load times.
I am actually not sure how to fix this, but maybe put a load screen to show everyone is didn't freeze.

"The squid in the cave by the spike-pit didn't say anything to me, either."

Did it say anything when you got the gun? I had both events not work once before. I'm not sure how, but every other time i tried it worked.

"will that become important to the game?"
He already is important. Try shooting at him for a while

Again thank you all for the feedback!
because of YOU the game will be improved :]

I hope you all had fun for the demo.
now i'm going to get back to work...

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 12:29:15 PM »

Could I mention, that rather than repeating the flush sound effect on each collision, have it play out once and ignore all other attacks until that clip is finished, since it's a bit of a melter hearing it stacked.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »

Could I mention, that rather than repeating the flush sound effect on each collision, have it play out once and ignore all other attacks until that clip is finished, since it's a bit of a melter hearing it stacked.

Fixed.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic