Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:24:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeLooking for programmer for this game (mockup included)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Looking for programmer for this game (mockup included)  (Read 5628 times)
purplelava
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »

I need a programmer to make this game:

name: Super Funny Duckā„¢ (temp)
platform: downloadable app or Flash.
notes for programming: platform action, with collision and some physics and AI; level editor; transitions; little dialogue.

It is a very short game wich could be made in short time. I am planning to make a serie of episodes with the same engine. 
If the game gets licensing you get a percentage of income.

You are a coder with a sense of humour. AS3 and/or anything that would help you create an app.

Please reply to the thread or PM if you're interested.
Cheers!
ElijahKatz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »

If its a short game I would advise you to learn a programming language yourself...
It's a great learning experience and you won't need to bother with a programmer...
I'm sure you've heard it many times before...
But that's because its a smarter way to get things done...
Whether you find someone or program it yourself I wish you luck with your endeavor...
Alehandro
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:25:46 AM »

If its a short game I would advise you to learn a programming language yourself...
It's a great learning experience and you won't need to bother with a programmer...
Whether you find someone or program it yourself I wish you luck with your endeavor...
It's really ridiculous...
To tell someone just to learn to program...
It's not easy for everyone...
Not to mention...
Typing like this...
Is really annoying...
purplelava
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 02:27:57 AM »

It's really ridiculous...
To tell someone just to learn to program...
It's not easy for everyone...
Not to mention...
Typing like this...
Is really annoying...

Thanks Alehandro, I agree with you.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 03:09:41 AM »

Try Construct. You just need some logical thinking and knowledge of basic programming principles.
purplelava
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 03:39:41 AM »

Try Construct. You just need some logical thinking and knowledge of basic programming principles.

Did I ever say I intend to learn programming? This is a post (one of the posts) I'm using to find a programmer so I don't have to program myself. Because programmers program, not me. 
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 07:20:53 AM »

Construct is not what one would consider an actual programming language, you just put some objects together and create 'events', but okay, fair enough. You don't want to program. Your call entirely, though I believe that a game designer should at least be able to prototype their ideas.

Just thought you'd be eager to prototype it by yourself. I find that part of game development the most enjoyable, but that is just me.  Shrug

Good luck! Looks like a simple platformer to me, shouldn't be too challenging for any programmer.
purplelava
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:59:38 AM »

While ignoring replies (isn't it my right), I have seen to have found an excellent programmer; gosh I'm lucky. But I'm still open to more connection.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 03:52:06 AM »

You really must call it Super Funny Duck. Freaking great name. And that's a nice mockup! I especially like Funny Duck. And the Moon. And I really can't help you otherwise. Even GML is a little over my head. I'm learnin', but, you know how it is.
purplelava
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 04:30:44 AM »

You really must call it Super Funny Duck. Freaking great name. And that's a nice mockup! I especially like Funny Duck. And the Moon. And I really can't help you otherwise. Even GML is a little over my head. I'm learnin', but, you know how it is.

Haha, thanks man. The name generated controversy. Some love it and some (actually a single guy until now) hated it from the bottom of his heart. But, generally, it seems the name is so crappy that it's beautiful. It's probably gonna be called that, I have generated a logo already.

Thanks for your interest.
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 08:11:47 PM »

Did I ever say I intend to learn programming? This is a post (one of the posts) I'm using to find a programmer so I don't have to program myself. Because programmers program, not me. 

That kind of view on programming and making games is pretty narrow, especially regarding indie game development. It's surprising that you're not willing to even try something that would expedite the game's development.

Also, as a programmer that's worked with designers, I find it's a lot better to work with a designer who has tried to program before, because even if they weren't very good they usually picked up some stuff that makes it a lot easier to communicate with them - the kind of stuff that you can't learn from playing or designing games.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck!

ak
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 03:41:01 AM »

Anyway, the mockup is really nice. I'm looking forward to seeing this playable Smiley

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 06:18:11 AM »

Also, as a programmer that's worked with designers, I find it's a lot better to work with a designer who has tried to program before, because even if they weren't very good they usually picked up some stuff that makes it a lot easier to communicate with them - the kind of stuff that you can't learn from playing or designing games.
And, as a designer that worked with programmers, I can also say that knowing the basics helps a lot in communication and overall design. I would even say it's mandatory.
C'mon, even if you don't want to learn real programming, with tools like Construct or GameMaker, pretty much everyone can create a game. It's all matter of dedication and that's always a good thing to show if you intend to work with someone.

Anyway, the mockup's real nice. I wish you best luck with the game Smiley.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
purplelava
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 10:07:04 AM »

And, as a designer that worked with programmers, I can also say that knowing the basics helps a lot in communication and overall design. I would even say it's mandatory.
C'mon, even if you don't want to learn real programming, with tools like Construct or GameMaker, pretty much everyone can create a game. It's all matter of dedication and that's always a good thing to show if you intend to work with someone.

Anyway, the mockup's real nice. I wish you best luck with the game Smiley.

Thanks for liking it. I have never said that I do not intend to learn programming ever and at all, nor that I don't know how to program or use the forementioned tools already. These are out of topic. Only that the purpose of this post is to find a programmer for a game that looks like that, it is an ad in that sense; it is therefore evident that I (or me and my team) have already put thought in this and made a decision towards finding a programmer for this or that reason despite mine or our eventual programming/game maker skills; maybe because the game needs a truly dedicated quasi-professional or professional person in that field, or maybe just because we liked it that way. Therefore, it is a bit late for advice regarding this very project, as the decision to look for a programmer for it has already been made.

Out of topic, I agree that it is useful (but not strictly necessary) for a game designer to master those tools, and I do have some knowledge of them.

//end of out of topic

gotoAndStop ("topic")
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 12:56:45 AM »

Yeah, sorry. We acted a bit douchebaggy I guess. It's obviously your project and your decission on who you need and why.

I don't think I can add anything constructive at this point. So just best luck to you Beer!.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 04:34:10 AM »

I posted a reply on the GMC already, so you can continue this conversation there if you like. But I am willing to be a programmer for this game.
G.I.L.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 07:01:20 AM »

If its gm I could help you a bit. But otherwise hope you can find a programmer to code that wonderful looking mockup.
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 12:13:11 AM »

How is this doing? I find the art style most amusing, awesome. Smiley So, making progress?

Theodolite
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »

notes for programming: platform action, with collision and some physics and AI; level editor; transitions; little dialogue.

I have an engine that does all that (but it's not flash) minus the transitions.

Check out "raimond ex" in Game Jolt.

--

Oh yeah, though the editor is fairly usable pretty much everything else is completely cryptic so I'd have to operate it
purplelava
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 05:13:47 AM »

How is this doing? I find the art style most amusing, awesome. Smiley So, making progress?

Thanks for your interest, I've always thought this thread would become the development blog of the actual game when I'd begin to make it. I have talked to several programmers, but I must confess I haven't found the right guy yet. It is a very short game to be developed in a month or so, part-time, and I don't have funding for it. I understand paying the guy upfront would give me more choice, but I was trying to find someone anyway. If I don't, I'll do something else. 
Someone was ready to make it on Game Maker, but I really want it in flash (I want to get at least some sponsorship money out of it). The flash programmers I talked with didn't have the minimum of commitment that I'd require, giving me certainty that he'd finish the job, do it well and accept the economic benefits. I'm not going to release a game with bad collision, I'm not. I like to do quality things. 

So, keep the proposals coming. I now know it's Flash that interests me, and not GameMaker or anything, and the guy must do a decent job, take it not too seriously, but not too lightly either. After all, he will definitely get money out of it even if not upfront.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic