Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412067 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 24, 2024, 09:25:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWeek 2 of working in the industry
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Week 2 of working in the industry  (Read 13280 times)
Zapparo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2009, 02:02:31 PM »

The only possible explanation for that sum 50 pounds per week (60 euros, it's easier for me to think in euros) is that the employer could have been used to outsourcing into cheaper countrys like my own (Romania) where the average weekly pay is about 70 euros per week but even then he would have had to work with a company in that country because freelancers charge more than that. My last job, with no other previous work experience, as flash developer was part-time but more in the sense that it was a full time job with half the pay and i made about 75 euros a week but i had colleagues who worked for 50 euros a week and artist get payed less than enginners so an artist would have been payed around 40 euros a week. What can i say, it kinda sucks to live here money wise Shrug.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 03:41:58 PM by Zapparo » Logged

Feelin' craptastic :D
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2009, 03:51:22 AM »

Your post made me really happy I_Smell, I am so glad you had that meeting and I back up obscure, mewse, Ed and the others with their advice above. I'm really sorry this was your first experience of the industry - it really isn't like that everywhere, contrary to what your 'boss' said.

Chin up - you really seem like you have your head screwed on and it looks like you've taken this really well and are using it positively, so good luck to you.  Gentleman

valkrin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2009, 08:26:57 AM »

After what was said in that meeting by your boss, I think it is very clear that its in your best interest to leave. Also, I'm glad you had the guts to do everything you did. Things WILL get better. You made the right decision. No looking back, keep on marching forward cause you've got a bright future. Best of luck.  Gentleman
v21
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2009, 12:36:10 PM »

Just add here, I'm currently unemployed and looking for work in the UK. I get a little over £50 a week in dole money. Which means I'm more highly paid than you, and I'm unemployed. Your situation is pretty untenable.
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2009, 10:13:20 AM »

Just chiming in my "hurrah" as well. Quit that job.

I'll second the argument that if he can find someone to do your job for free, that means he should be hiring that person to do your overtime. Either that or he's lying. GTF out of there.

IndieElite4Eva
raiten
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »

So what happened, did you quit yet?
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »

Good for you, they were just trying to take advantage of you. You might think that is bothersome to sue but it would be good, so they learn that there are consequences to their actions, otherwise they'll just keep exploiting people for their own benefit.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic