Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:50:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCanabalt (my first EGP entry!)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Canabalt (my first EGP entry!)  (Read 20044 times)
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2009, 06:19:47 AM »

From "regular" people we made about $320 in donations so far.  Armorgames donated $200 on account of their lack of revshare.  I think we've made a little more than that now from Kongregate's revenue sharing program, so without in-game ads or sponsors I think we've cleared $1000 now (which isn't like WOW AMAZING but at least covers the cost of original music!)

cup full of magic charisma
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2009, 08:44:54 AM »

You would likely have made more than that by now if you were running google ads on your website. Can I ask what you think the drawbacks are to that method?

For me, the main drawback is that you can't stop Google from using flash rather than static image ads (or maybe you can, but I haven't figured out how), which can degrade the performance of your game on slow computers. The minor drawback is that the game page looks less attractive, but I don't care much about that.

The reason I like ad-driven revenue is that everybody wins - the players get a free game and don't need to feel guilty about not paying for it, I get a revenue stream, and the advertisers get eyeballs and clicks.
raiten
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »

It's not bad, but you would have made the money from Kongregate either way and if you had agreed to do a site-locked armorgames.com-branded version you would have gotten at least $500 (probably more). Also, maybe I'm splitting hairs but I think putting the game on Kongregate is pretty much the same thing as adding in-game ads, because it's not unusual that they play some kind of video or flash ad before the game. I mean the money you earn on Kong is from the ads they display, so why not put ads inside the game itself? What's the difference?

The only conclusion I can make from this is that the donation route isn't a realistic alternative for anybody who's trying to make a living off of flash games. I mean, if a super-hit like Canabalt only makes $320 from donations (even if it's just been a week), the situation looks kind of bleak.

EDIT: forgot to say thanks for sharing!
zachstronaut
Level 0

Legend of Equip > Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2009, 01:53:57 PM »

I really appreciate that you've posted details about the business/finances of your game.  I think a lot of people would be hesitant to share, but it really gives people interested in being a full-time indie game developer some important info to consider.

So thank you for giving back to the community.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Rogerup/canabolt

What a wonderful parody (it sucks gameplay wise and overall presentation but I guess it's...funny).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:56:23 PM by allen » Logged
SidM
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »

Nice parody Smiley
Kepa
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2009, 11:53:54 PM »

Great game.  The music and sound seems to really make the whole thing.

One thing I didn't like: The office buildings that killed you if you jumped too high.  Partially because it requires precision that is very difficult to see coming.  Also, it seems that the particular building has a way higher difficulty than anything else that could get thrown at you, by far.

Best of luck with the iphone version!
Zapparo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2009, 07:49:23 AM »

Can't stop playing, must stop tommorow i have an exam but still i play. Addicted

Feelin' craptastic :D
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2009, 09:47:59 AM »

Looks like you started a REVOLUTION IN VIDEO GAMES

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Rogerup/canabolt

What a wonderful parody (it sucks gameplay wise and overall presentation but I guess it's...funny).
Dang! Someone beat me to posting it.

I liked the use of animal noises.
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »

You're taking donations?
Consider my dollar-signs your dollar-signs! (are you using these money towards more fixel games or are you buying food with them?)

Oh I see Grin

Wallpaper get :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:36:53 PM by mark » Logged

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »

I suppose your game is popular enough or people hate the overall premise enough to make a parody, but still..I would be flattered.

This and other indie games (in the devlog section and other sites) are booming in the iPhone market. I guess I'm going to be forced to buy one of those bloody things  WTF
mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »

I guess I'm going to be forced to buy one of those bloody things  WTF
Get a touch instead, no need to oblige yourself to paying monthly fees for a gaming console.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »

Yeah, I'm all for having ads on the front of your webpage, but the actual game should be alone in its own page. It prevents the slowdown that happens with a ton of flash stuff going on at once. Seriously, look at Stickpage.com. You don't just have the animations or games, you have them and four other flash windows going on at once.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
deathtotheweird
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »

Get a touch instead, no need to oblige yourself to paying monthly fees for a gaming console.

iPod touch plays those iPhone games? I had no idea. I (was) a bit ignorant regarding iPhone games.

that's quite wonderful because I need a new mp3 player. i'll look into it, thanks!
mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2009, 09:42:24 AM »

iPod touch plays those iPhone games? I had no idea. I (was) a bit ignorant regarding iPhone games.

that's quite wonderful because I need a new mp3 player. i'll look into it, thanks!
I am convinced that it does...I mean it's the same thing, why shouldn't it?

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »

woooo!!  We are in the process of submitting this thing to the App Store, which means it could go live as early as next Friday, so keep your collective fingers crossed (if you like Canabalt anyways!!)

cup full of magic charisma
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2009, 01:32:03 PM »

yaaaaay

I just wish I had itunes store credits now.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2009, 05:09:09 PM »

Woo, I'll buy a copy on my girlfriend's Eyephone.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2009, 05:39:14 PM »

You would likely have made more than that by now if you were running google ads on your website. Can I ask what you think the drawbacks are to that method?

Google pays per click.

I've been testing it and got 5.5USD out of ~50k page impressions and 68 clicks.
And the revenue only went up if someone clicked. So I can say that for sure.

I've decided to disable them right now because it's not worth to have ads that 1 in a thousand clicks.
And as someone said to me: It will probably put off anyone that was willing to donate, because they think that you're already making money with ads (Which is not true).

With AdSense and my eCPM, 10 million page views will yield approximately 1000 USD. If you're betting on that you better get a lot of press  :D

Congrats Adam on the proximity of the iPhone release!!!  Beer!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:42:16 PM by nitram_cero » Logged

Working on HeliBrawl
bolin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2009, 07:40:23 AM »

I love this game. It's really addictive and it has a great atmosphere thanks to the art and music.
I think it's the first time I'm happy I don't own an iphone or ipod touch, because I would end up buying this and playing all the time anywhere Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic