Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:26:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsI Feel No Pain - full contact golf
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I Feel No Pain - full contact golf  (Read 3773 times)
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:27:21 PM »

I Feel No Pain - full contact golf

Description:
"I Feel No Pain" is a side-scrolling fusion between Scorched Earth shooters and golf games. The player's only form of movement is to use himself as a projectile. The player is able to control the angle and power of the shot, but can also affect their trajectory in other ways by use of teleporters, directional "force" blocks, and walljumps. Like golf, the objective is to reach the goal within a fixed number of "shots". There are a variety of blocks, each with a different effect on the player's movement.

:EDIT:

DOWNLOAD DEMO HERE: http://www.kikaru.com/IFNP_06.zip last updated 9/12/09

Controls:
Up/down - change angle
Left/right - change direction
Space - hold to charge up a jump, press just before hitting a wall to walljump
WSAD - scroll camera

8/22/09 to 8/26/09:

I built the basic game control, allowing the player to jump and bounce off walls. I added a smoke effect for jumping, bouncing off walls, and landing. I also doodled up some art, and found the original gameboy pallet.

8/27/09:

I did some more work on jumping function, smoothing out the trajectory and adding more precision. I also added soft tiles (round) that stop the player's movement, and sticky tiles (bumpy edge) that the player can grab onto and jump from. Scrolling support has been added, but the test level doesn't utilize it yet.

8/31/09

I added the ability to walljump by pressing space just before hitting a wall. A walljump will have the exact same angle and power of your initial jump. I also fixed a few minor bugs with the sticky tiles.

I didn't start keeping this devlog until a few days in, so the first entry covers a lot of time.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 09:42:41 AM by Kikaru » Logged
sloopygoop
Level 0

8-bit magical sounds...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »

This sounds like fun, and the screens are cool too.  I dig the color and shade pallet.  Three cheers for the Game Boy! Grin Grin Grin

My music:
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »

SmileyHand Shake Right  SmileyHand Shake Right  SmileyHand Shake Right
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 03:12:24 AM »

It has a great concept and lovely gameboy aesthetic. Good luck with this!

Wander
Level 1

pixels are my only real friends. (and scotch)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:34:46 PM »

That limited pallete is retro cool.  The game play is really cool too.  I'm working on a game where you fling a character around a universe too, but this looks more puzzly.  very cool.

-The Horrible Vikings-

-= artist will paint for scotch=-
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:44:20 AM »

A mysterious hole has opened up in the testing room. Where does it lead?

I opened up the level a bit. Yay for scrolling!

Still working on the control/interface, especially with the camera. Also, even though you can't see it, the game now loads from grayscale images and applies the pallet itself, allowing for easier pallet swap.

I hope to have a playable demo sometime soon!

Goal!

Added a jump/par counter, smoothed out the aiming a lot, and added a finish line. Maybe by Labor Day I can put up that demo!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:07:02 PM by Kikaru » Logged
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 02:47:26 PM »

Landing on the goal actually does something now! Also, I added a few more animations, including two victory animations. Plus miscellaneous bugfixes.

Just a few steps away from a playable demo!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 02:54:54 PM by Kikaru » Logged
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 04:13:25 PM »

Playable demo is out!

Download:
http://www.kikaru.com/IFNP_03.zip

Controls:
Up/down - change angle
Left/right - change direction
Space - hold to charge up a jump, press just before hitting a wall to walljump
WSAD - scroll camera

Enjoy!
Wander
Level 1

pixels are my only real friends. (and scotch)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 10:03:28 PM »

DLed and played.  So far so good man.  It's really responsive.  Hand Thumbs Up Right I'm ready for level 2.

-The Horrible Vikings-

-= artist will paint for scotch=-
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:07:34 AM »

Another version! You might notice some minor interface changes.

It now loads levels from files, letting me make them more easily. Added a second level, by the way.

A screenshot from level 2:

DOWNLOAD: http://www.kikaru.com/IFNP_04.zip
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »

I got 2 on the first level, but I feel it's possible in one since one time I managed to jump from the left wall inside the starting room to the goal. Game looks great so far!
trybaj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 06:01:23 PM »

This is cool!

Have you tried it out with less friction on the floor surfaces? I feel like he should slide at least a little before coming to a stop- especially with how bouncy the walls are.

Also, do you plan on adding more types of blocks to interact with? I guess I'm thinking along the lines of sand traps and water hazards.

Keep on truckin', this is fun.

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 07:02:37 PM »

I got 2 on the first level, but I feel it's possible in one since one time I managed to jump from the left wall inside the starting room to the goal. Game looks great so far!

Thanks! I've managed to get the first stage in one shot before, but not consistently. The levels are all designed so that it's plausible to finish under par.

Have you tried it out with less friction on the floor surfaces? I feel like he should slide at least a little before coming to a stop- especially with how bouncy the walls are.

It was part of the original idea, but it was removed from the original design to make it easier to land where you wanted too. Given the the way it works now, though, it might be worth a try.

Also, do you plan on adding more types of blocks to interact with? I guess I'm thinking along the lines of sand traps and water hazards.

I'm in the midst of adding both teleport tiles and one-way tiles. Traps/hazards aren't planned, but I'll do some experimenting.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 11:11:52 AM »

Really like this game so far. I particularly love the trajectory arc that appears when you hold space. Very smooth.

Also, I am a sucker for a limited palette.

|
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 01:05:40 AM »

It was part of the original idea, but it was removed from the original design to make it easier to land where you wanted too. Given the the way it works now, though, it might be worth a try.

Icy tiles in places?

Downloading this now... so I can actually figure out what you're talking about... Wink

Last release: sync::routine
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »

Here's a newer version:
http://www.kikaru.com/IFNP_06.zip
Screenshots:

Added a title screen and a third level. Various bugfixes, timing on walljumps should be a little easier. I tried (though failed) to add sliding. I also created teleporters, which will see some use in level four (WIP).
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »

This feels really good, great controls and animation. The look of it is sweet too. Are you going to put in some kind of level preview at the beginning of each level?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic