Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 03:03:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Hunting for a arty type to assist with ADVENTURE!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hunting for a arty type to assist with ADVENTURE!  (Read 1445 times)
Bobsy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2009, 02:40:39 AM »

Ahem. You must forgive if this turns into an uncomfortably bipolar mix of unverifiable hyperbole and trembling self-deprecation. Such is my lot, good people, such is my lot.

Anyways! I have been experimenting with the lovely Adventure Game Studio with dreams, dreams of creating (SHOCK!) an ADVENTURE GAME! A victorian adventure of dashing peril, intrigue, top hats, muttonchops (both food and facial!), Olde London Towne, vicious opponents and snooty attitudes towards the working classes!

Huzzah!

You can see my proof* of concept demo of the intro portion of the game here (hosted by Comrade Roburky, lovely chap who recommended you fine folks to me). You'll immediately understand the severe limitations of my artistic capability (i.e. I have none whatsoever) and understand why I am making this impassioned plea for someone to remove this headache from my aching head, and beautify the game with their amazing artistic abilities.

But, you are clearly wanting to know just what sort of a game this may be! Well, fine chaps, cock an ear hither and listen. Our story is set in the Victorian age, England in the 19th century. A time when gentlemen were true gentlemen, handsome and stout-hearted, fiery of whisker and boistrously top-hatted. A time where ADVENTURE stalks the streets, and PERIL is lurking around every corner. Dank cobbled streets, fine gentlemens' clubs, fellows both posh and poor.

Our hero is the acronymically-titled Sir Alfred D. Venture, a gentleman adventurer of the classical sort. He acts as player character, as well as narrating the adventure from his future self. The intro takes place in a classy gentlemens' club (not the strip variety, a proper gentlemens' club) and future locations will include a fancy London auctioneer's, a seedy East End slum bar, and a mysterious laboratory, murder and intrigue on a cross-europe steam train, before arriving in tsar-era St Petersburg.

So, if you enjoy drawing people with top hats and canes, THIS IS SO UP YOUR STREET!

The two major areas that are in most desperate need of beautification by one of you super-chaps are the static backdrops (though these can incorporate simple animation as well) as well the various sprites for characters, objects and inventory items. Further down the road there are possibilities in redeveloping the graphical side of the GUI, crafting title sequences, and the like.

It should go without saying that this is all handled in 2D. Flat image backgrounds, sprites and the like.

Currently, the workload is only what you'll see when you play the concept test demo. Six backgrounds (currently at 800*600, but there is always the option to increase this), six animated characters, and a handful of object/inventory sprites. My plan is to leave future content for the time being until we have an artist on board, because of the problems this can/will cause down the line.

So, please have a look, see if you're interested and get in contact! If this has somehow inspired you (and who knows? Maybe!) and you suddenly feel compelled to start making pretty pictures of smokey London Clubs and sinister back alleys, YOU SUDDENLY BECOME THE MOST FAVOURITE OF PEOPLE TO ME!

*term applied with caution
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 04:59:01 AM »

On these forums people tend to introduce themselves before posting, so that they look like actual people. I wonder why. Ahem.

roBurky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 06:55:05 AM »

I can vouch for Bobsy's actual personage. He has a certificate, you know.
medieval
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:49:05 AM »

he is a good human.
i sense that.
Bobsy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:42:11 AM »

I can vouch for Bobsy's actual personage. He has a certificate, you know.

I have it laminated so people can check. They tend to keep asking.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic