Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:55:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDon't Press Down
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Don't Press Down  (Read 2048 times)
LazyWaffle
« on: September 03, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »

HAND DRAWN GRAPHICS, YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Don't Press Down is a game whose title explains how it works. You cannot press down. Everyone wants you to press down, but don't believe their nasty lies.

There's really nothing more to it.

What happens if you press down:

To do:
-Basic engine (99% - Might do some tweaking)
-Levels (20% - Going for 50 levels, 10 completed so far)
-Music (0% - I have a placeholder drum loop, but it's not permanent. I only need to make 2-3 songs)
-Graphics (Huh?% - I don't have anything planned, so I don't know how many sprites I'll need)
-Sexiness (0% - Haven't really focused on polishing yet)

Hey, you! Yeah, you! I need YOUR level ideas! So give them to me! Or I will do bad things to your family!

No really, if you have an idea, post it here. I don't have any more ideas. Just make sure it has...

1. A problem - How would the game or characters in it try to make you press down?
2. A solution - What's the loophole that allows you to pass the level without pressing down?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:21:52 PM by LazyWaffle » Logged
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »

Nice. I love it.

You could make the down key look more "desirable" by having those little happy men do it themselves, and having beautiful things happen to them immediately after.

Yes, beautiful things.

Shizin
Level 0

I'll try not to give up.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 05:41:50 PM »

I have an idea!

Key- The door with the check is the exit.
Problem- The exit is under water and you can't swim down.
Solution- There's a machine that pushes a rock into the water after 30 seconds or so.  You have to float in the water and wait for the rock to fall.  The rock will then push you down into the water to the bottom to the exit.

Hope thats a good idea... also, looking forward to play this!
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:19:08 PM »

this game sounds awesome haha

LazyWaffle
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »

@Yes: Pressing down applies to everyone, but I suppose they could just say they pressed down.

@Shiz: Awesome idea, I'll probably add it.

@Jitsu: I know, I'm amazing.

Anyway, here's an example of an already existing level, if it helps with ideas:

On the tenth level, the character starts out skydiving. There is text saying "Press down to deploy parachute". If you wait just before you hit the bottom and die, the text changes to "Press space to deploy pillows."

So yeah, that's the basic gist of it.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 04:24:47 PM »

I'm sorry but it does look pretty sexy to me Smiley

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »

I like this concept.  :D

Ideas
  • The exit/macguffin is through a crawlspace with a low ceiling. You cannot walk through it normally. An adorable baby bear tells you to press down to duck down and crawl through the crawlspace. The solution is to attack/jump on the baby bear until its mother comes to defend it. After she mauls you, your injured character can't do anything but crawl.
  • A character challenges you to a dance-off, which triggers a short Dance Dance Revolution minigame. You are expected to press up, left, right, and down when prompted to the beat. Pressing the correct key gains you health, pressing the wrong key or missing an arrow (including down) makes you lose health. There are more non-down arrows than down arrows, so it is possible to win without ever pressing down.
  • You are on the 10th floor of an apartment building. A character calls and tells you to get to the ground floor as soon as possible. At the end of the hallway is an elevator. You are told that up makes the elevator go up, and down makes it go down. Down also opens the door to the stairwell. The solution is to take the elevator to the top floor, then jump off the roof.
  • You begin on a platform above the goal. There are two paths to the exit. One is a long, tedious maze you enter by falling off the left edge of the platform. The other is a ladder that you can climb down (by pressing down) but not fall down. The choice is obvious.
  • The level select in the game should list each level in a vertical column, but only allow you to press the up arrow to scroll up. Scrolling up at level one loops down to the last unlocked level.
  • Halfway through a generic platform level, after a particularly difficult challenge and before another challenge, the player comes across the sign: "Press down to activate checkpoint." The solution is obviously to beat the level in one go without activating the checkpoint.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:43:14 PM by Noyb » Logged

LazyWaffle
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »

Wow, thanks for the ideas Grin

I'm definately using some of them.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic