Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:42:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAtrocities that are popular/money makers (or signs of the gaming apocalypse)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Atrocities that are popular/money makers (or signs of the gaming apocalypse)  (Read 14571 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2007, 07:21:18 PM »

*barf*
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:28:33 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 07:26:07 PM »

But but but, I hate anything "with a Disney twist!"

I couldn't even get into the game, it might have something to do with my aversion to Japanese style RPGS, but I beat Mario RPG, so, yeah.

Edited, not relevant.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:22:56 PM by TeamQuiggan » Logged

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »

It's not the fact that it has a Disney twist or that it's a JRPG, it's the fact that nearly every gameplay element was so poorly executed the game's an exercise in suicide-inducing frustration. And don't get me started on the Gummi Ship minigame.

It doesn't even have a good plot to make it worth trudging through all that poisonous murky leech infested swamp they call combat mechanics/camera control/*shudder* platforming/etc.

But apparently fan service and pretty graphics sell like hotcakes.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:35:42 PM by Melly » Logged

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 08:59:50 PM »

If the gaming apocalypse is headed our way, these are the three horsemen:

Thoroughly mediocre shooters with a few strengths and plenty of weaknesses.  So can anyone explain to me these metacritic scores?

cup full of magic charisma
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 09:31:02 PM »

I think some friends of mine did a reasonably funny 'Future of Halo' video about all the press the new Halo was getting. I think you could probably still find it on the intertron somewhere.

I, for one, am totally mystified by the hype.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 09:41:45 PM »

at least people are sort of seeing through the bullshit sometimes.

i've been making fun of this game since it was first announced and it's good to see that other people share my point of view

http://kotaku.com/gaming/army-of-two/army-of-two-delayed-because-its-well-rubbish-330591.php

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 10:20:22 PM »

Bioshock

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 10:46:49 PM »

I wouldn't say Bioshock was an atrocity per se, although it certainly wasn't as good as advertised.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 10:52:48 PM »

Alright game but as with Bioshock incredibly over hyped.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 10:59:05 PM »

Guitar Hero 2 and Kingdom Hearts are the two games I've spent more time on than any other games  Shocked

I thought this would be a like, 'slam on match-3 here!!!' topic. not 'Slam on Radnom's gaming upbringing' topic.

...I don't like Halo though.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 11:06:24 PM »

Guitar Hero 2 and Kingdom Hearts are the two games I've spent more time on than any other games  Shocked

I don't know.

I think I would rather play Heroin Hero :D

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 11:25:07 PM »

I think I would rather play Heroin Hero :D

Guitar Heroin?
Guitar Heroine?
Guitar Heron.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 03:11:38 AM »

You're a fan of the old Disney movies, aren't you? Cause that's pretty much all the game's got going for itself.

I guess this is all because nearly everybody was raised on those movies. Kind of like brainwashing or something.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 03:29:22 AM »

I hate Disney. Never really watched Disney movies. I like the Kingdom Hearts gameplay.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 03:35:40 AM »

Well, I guess you can't argue taste. But I honestly can't see how you would like it.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 04:52:48 AM »

Aw, come on. KH was kind of fun for the first few hours (until it became really fucking repetitive, just like most Square games - FF, I'M LOOKING AT YOU). Also, I thought the Gummi Ship was a great idea, but somewhat poorly executed and definitely out of place. I did have fun building little ships, not so much flying them.

BioShock, though, was great. Maybe it wasn't as revolutionary as Half-Life, as well-written as Torment or whatever, but I loved it for what it was - a linear shooter with a good story and the very best art direction ever in a game. I didn't know much about it before it was released, though, so I wasn't catched on the hype.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 07:29:54 AM »

Kingdom Hearts: Sure it's an action RPG, but that's no reason to get rid of in-battle menus!

Bleh! I played the game once at my friend's house, and I couldn't stand it for more than five minutes.

Guitar Hero is incredibly overrated. It's basically Simon Says, but with better graphics and music.

Halo is pretty mediocre, but with all the fans of mindless shooters out there, its success isn't surprising.

I'm probably going to get flamed to death by saying this, but I think FFVII is overrated. A bland turn-based battle system, a decent, but not terribly unique, story, and blocky, uninspired graphics. I fail to see what makes it the best game of all time...

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 07:53:48 AM »

I fail to see what makes it the best game of all time...

?

I am not sure about "best game of all time"

The thing about FFVII was the time period in which it came out in. For it's time FFVII was an incredibly stunning game. I still remember being incredibly envious of my friend who had FFVII on PSX and I was still playing FFI on my NES :D

xsolonx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 08:06:18 AM »

FFVII is most certainly not the best game ever made, but its not terrible. Its the first, and only Square game I've played and enjoyed all the way through. I think its appeal is the ability it has to connect emotionally with the player. I know that sounds awfully strange/silly to say, but seriously, people bonded with these characters and regardless of the uniqueness of the story, or the gameplay elements (my biggest problem with FF games in general), you were still invested in the people involved. It strikes a chord with gamers.

As for Halo, of which I am a fan of, its not the most innovative game, it doesn't have the best story, it doesn't have the best graphics, but sit me in a room with a bunch of friends and a couple of controllers and we'll have the time of our lives. Its a fun game series, and really thats the starting point for all good games, being fun. The stories and graphics are decent, but I have to argue that the mechanics of the game really do set it apart from being mediocre, it was easy to pick up and play, and the first console FPS since Goldeneye that I didn't mind not having a keyboard and mouse, in fact I enjoyed it better on Xbox than on PC. Thats a pretty big achievement to me.
Movius
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 09:58:28 AM »

One could create some fine drama with appropriate trolling in this thread. So here goes...

hmmm, no... thats aiming a bit too high to be believable.

perfect.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic