Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 06:09:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAtrocities that are popular/money makers (or signs of the gaming apocalypse)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Atrocities that are popular/money makers (or signs of the gaming apocalypse)  (Read 14620 times)
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 10:00:56 AM »

The retarded battles kept me from even coming close to like any of the Final Fantasy games. Huh?
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 10:47:59 AM »

What about FFT?
Now THAT was a good game. FFVII, not so much. Tongue

Oh god that reminds me... How could they make it so any character can be Gafgarion's class in the remake!?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 01:38:38 PM »

Kingdom Hearts: Sure it's an action RPG, but that's no reason to get rid of in-battle menus!
I guess that's one of the parts I liked about it. It had the idea of an RPG but took out that whole crappy "You stand here while I use an item. Don't attack me yet! hold on... glug glug glug... Yeah, ok... hit me with your best shot" aspect.

Some of the games that I consider shit that a lot of you will probably hate me for: Tongue

Final Fantasy VII - boring, and I could get no emotion from the characters. They're so static. I'd prefer 2D characters than these incomprehensible uber-low poly atrocities. I can't understand them at all.
Any of the other Final Fantasys I've played except X-2. X-2 is alright, until about half-way through the game.
All 3D Zelda games, such as Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, and all 2D Zelda games since Link's Awakening. All so damn clunky and repetitive, and the 2D Zelda games after Link's Awakening got old fast.
Rayman Raving Rabbids is mega-shit.
Eternal Darkness had the worst combat I have seen for a game like that. It was so clunky I didn't even get far enough to see the apparantly amazing 'sanity' effects that the game must have relied on. I hate clunky games so much.

EDIT: Boldened the below line. Apparantly some people missed it, my fault.
Some games that are still decent games, but far overrated:
Super Mario Galaxy. I bought it expecting it to at least be better than 64. Noooo...
Halo - it's average... (NOTE I haven't actually got this game. And it is fun multiplayer)

I thought Kingdom Hearts 2 was pretty crappy though.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:22:03 PM by Radnom » Logged

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 01:55:29 PM »

I hate most of the Lara Croft series personally and they are always way overhyped over here in Australia.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 02:31:22 PM »

Super Mario Galaxy. I bought it expecting it to at least be better than 64. Noooo..

Did we both even play the same game?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 02:53:16 PM »

What about FFT?
Now THAT was a good game. FFVII, not so much. Tongue
FFT is incredible. It's amazing that the same people behind all the repetitive turn-based combat systems could create such deep gameplay.

Unfortunately, bad translation pretty much ruined FFT's story. Oh well, I guess you can't win them all...
Oh god that reminds me... How could they make it so any character can be Gafgarion's class in the remake!?
If it makes you feel any better, it would take hours of level-grinding for anyone to train in that class. Take comfort in the fact that anyone with a team of dark knights is wasting his or her life.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:15:35 PM by Nightshade » Logged

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 03:41:44 PM »

Super Mario Galaxy. I bought it expecting it to at least be better than 64. Noooo..

It was okay. Personally I think Metroid Prime 3 should have rated way better than SMG. The levels are well-done but not memorable in any way, compared to the ones in '64. Too short and small, and you aren't anywhere long enough to get attached to anything. The controls and camera are clunky (I realise a lot of people think Mario64's camera is clunky but I never had any problems...) and the 'combat' system is so terrible. The characters are horrible, I personally hate the setting and the storyline is undeniably shit. Star bits are not fun to collect, or shoot. The 'two-player' mode is not fun and is pretty insulting to the second player, because they have nothing to do but waggle the remote and piss off the first player by makign them jump everywhere. Everyone says 'but it's full of CHAAARRRMM' but you can't go round ignoring all its faults just because of charm.

At the moment my sister's playing Guitar Hero 2 after seeing me playing. It's seriously my favourite PS2 game of all time.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 03:48:17 PM »

Wow, this thread hit the trifecta of games my girlfriend is willing to play: Kingdom Harts, Mario Galaxy and Guitar Hero.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »

FFT is incredible. It's amazing that the same people behind all the repetitive turn-based combat systems could create such deep gameplay.

They didn't!  They bought Quest, the folks that made Tactics Ogre, and they made FFT (and went on to make Vagrant Story and most of FFXII).  In buying Quest they also bought Hitoshi Sakimoto, which was more than worth it IMO!

Also, back on topic (as much as is possible) I'm really not sure that Guitar Hero qualifies as an atrocity?  Defined here as being insanely popular and successful despite being crap.  The only people I've ever met that didn't like it were actual guitarists, and well, it was not made for them Tongue  But from a game design and graphic design standpoint it is quite solid on all accounts.

Now, classifying Mario Galaxy as an "atrocity" is downright (and straight-up!) retarded.  Definitely recommend actually playing the game before deciding this.  While I agree that it is not *quite* as good as Mario 64 overall, I really don't see how that qualifies Galaxy as an atrocity?

cup full of magic charisma
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2007, 04:27:20 PM »

It was okay. Personally I think Metroid Prime 3 should have rated way better than SMG. The levels are well-done but not memorable in any way, compared to the ones in '64. Too short and small, and you aren't anywhere long enough to get attached to anything. The controls and camera are clunky (I realise a lot of people think Mario64's camera is clunky but I never had any problems...) and the 'combat' system is so terrible. The characters are horrible, I personally hate the setting and the storyline is undeniably shit. Star bits are not fun to collect, or shoot. The 'two-player' mode is not fun and is pretty insulting to the second player, because they have nothing to do but waggle the remote and piss off the first player by makign them jump everywhere. Everyone says 'but it's full of CHAAARRRMM' but you can't go round ignoring all its faults just because of charm.

At the moment my sister's playing Guitar Hero 2 after seeing me playing. It's seriously my favourite PS2 game of all time.

It's not the charm for me, although it is undeniable that it does have a lot of that to go around. The thing about SMG is the fact that it is not only the best Mario game (in terms of controls, fun factor, level design) but, in my opinion, is the best platform game ever made hands down. I will probably never play a game like this ever again. The level design alone make this game tough to beat.

It actually, in fact, perplexes me as to how some people can still have something to nitpick about this game. I was reading through the user reviews on Gamespot and granted there were only like 2 or 3 8.0 ratings they were still there. I suppose that just goes to show that you can't please everyone Tongue

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2007, 05:07:08 PM »

I didn't mean that SMG was an atrocity, just that it was overrated-sorry for confusion ;p I'd give it between 8.5-9 so it's really pretty good, just far overrated.

Definitely recommend actually playing the game before deciding this.
I own it. Along with Guitar Hero 1 and 2, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario 64, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, FFVII, FFX, FFIV, FFV, FFX-2 and LOZ:TP so I have the right to say these things ;p

I also think the following aren't as great as everyone seems to say (but not necessarily atrocities): Shadow of the Colossus and Okami are beautiful and incredible ideas, but in practise they aren't all that much fun. Half Life got crap near the end. Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 is worse than Tiberian Sun, the best C&C game. Vice City and GTA3 aren't all that good, GTA:SA is the best. Metal Gear Solid 2 is okay but overrated. It's more fun on easy modes so you can just shoot people, I can't be bothered stealthing around. Spinter Cell is just plain crap because its controls are terrible. Wii Play is some pretty crappy minigames... tennis is the only decent one in the lot and it's too repetitive. Resident Evil 4 sucks ass. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within is really really crap. put me off playing the third 3D POP, even though I own it (I'm serious I've never played it, and I own it. whoa. Sands of time is incredible except for boss fights and the timed sequences which are anus-y. ) I'm a very hard to please gamer.. and yes I own the games I criticise. I don't assume because when you assume you make an ass out of u and me
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:19:44 PM by Radnom » Logged

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2007, 05:40:38 PM »

lol

Fair enough.

I am pretty much the opposite. As long as a game is genuinely fun and well made I can overlook small flaws in the game (if there are any at all).

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2007, 06:55:23 PM »

Shadow of the Colossus and Okami are beautiful and incredible ideas, but in practise they aren't all that much fun.

Already discussed SotC in another thread, so I'll jump to Okami. The only real flaws that game has is that it's too easy and that the unique aesthetic can make depth perception and details hard to grasp at first, but those are more like nitpicks. The combat is definitely simple, but for me it's much more enjoyable than KH's combat (with a good camera and reliable defensive moves), and the brush stroke mechanics are implemented near-flawlessly (the engine can get a little bit confused when you start getting more brush techniques that are fairly similar to eachother, but you usually have plenty of chances to retry, and if you're precise that will only happen very rarily), aided by a very good and highly controllable camera system that can pretty much let you pick any angle you wish for your magical paintings.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2007, 07:44:03 PM »

I am very much looking forward to Okami on the Weeeeee.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2007, 07:49:26 PM »

I actually, I found Okami and Shadow of the Colossus considerably more fun than the majority of recent console games.

Perhaps fun is... subjective?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 09:02:16 PM »

Perhaps fun is... subjective?

*Gasp*
                                       /

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2007, 04:50:53 AM »

Well actually pretty much anything by EA is an overhyped atrocity.

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2007, 07:47:58 AM »

Well, I guess you can't argue taste. But I honestly can't see how you would like it.

It's fun, has good pacing, a good story, some sweet graphics, and Disney nostalgia, what's not to like? Just because Disney and Square teamed up? Disney has a pretty dark past, I think they fit in. Although, you don't often hear about their nazi propaganda movies these days. Huh?
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »

Well actually pretty much anything by EA is an overhyped atrocity.

The problem is, EA owns alot of good studios, though they may have been gutted, but still. The talent pool that they draw from is huge, and when they stick their neck out with new IP, and it fails? Well, then its going to prove to them they should cloyster up and make only sequels.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
idiotmeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2007, 11:47:33 AM »

i don't know if it is a money-maker, but the fact that Tomb Raider games are still being made is an atrocity.

As well as the lack of a Homeworld 3.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic