Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:47:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAtrocities that are popular/money makers (or signs of the gaming apocalypse)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Atrocities that are popular/money makers (or signs of the gaming apocalypse)  (Read 14637 times)
idiotmeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2007, 08:44:21 PM »

Yes, I was being sarcastic about E.T. (though I would totally play it if it were remade to today's standards).

Here's some gameplay:
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p136/lakanar/atari%202600%20videos/?action=view&current=ETDELUXE.flv

Now that I think about it, the Atari 2600 should have been the sign that gaming was coming to an end: (much linkiness)
http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Atari%202600/
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2007, 11:04:01 PM »

I dunno, I thought E.T. was a pretty brilliant game by 2600 standards. I mean considering most 2600 games were shithouse, this one was challenging and fun with some pretty advanced little tricks for the time.

even as an 8 year old I knew the game fucking sucked.
I think a large part of the reason the game failed so resoundingly is that they marketed a difficult action adventure game to kids. The whole cubical map thing totally threw me until I RTFM'd, which you can't expect children to do. If it didn't have ET in the title, I mean forgetting the whole deal with the backlash, nobody would remember it as a bad game.
ZombiePixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »

I'll add anything in the past decade with a combination of the words "Star" and "Wars" that isn't prefixed by "Lego".  Oh, and Space Giraffe!
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2007, 02:17:46 PM »

Oh, and Space Giraffe!
Infidel!

1337-n00b
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2007, 07:11:49 PM »

I'll add anything in the past decade with a combination of the words "Star" and "Wars" that isn't prefixed by "Lego".  Oh, and Space Giraffe!

Clearly you've never played Knights of the Old Republic...unless I'm the only one who likes it, in which case I'll just quietly slide into this dark corner.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2007, 07:17:50 PM »

You're certainly not the only one who likes it.

But it did suck. Roll Eyes
1337-n00b
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2007, 08:17:09 PM »

As a matter of passing curiosity, what didn't you like about it, Akhel?
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2007, 01:19:32 PM »

Oh, and Space Giraffe!

Space Giraffe was neither popular nor a money maker...

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2007, 04:57:34 PM »

As a matter of passing curiosity, what didn't you like about it, Akhel?

Well, I thought the combat was bad, and really the whole game revolved around it. The quests were pretty much all either FedEx or Kill 10 Rats, also. There was pretty much no choice and consequence (sure, you could be good or evil, but that didn't really change the story). Finally, I didn't really like the story or the characters, and the writing wasn't great either.

One thing I did like was the combat movements or characters wielding two swords. I also thought Pazaak was nice.
pkt-zer0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2007, 01:10:28 PM »

Nary a mention of TES4: Oblivion yet? I doubt I'm the only one who finds it odd that said game would be mentioned alongside other "hardcore cRPG classics", namely, Fallout and Planescape: Torment.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2007, 01:25:27 PM »

Nary a mention of TES4: Oblivion yet? I doubt I'm the only one who finds it odd that said game would be mentioned alongside other "hardcore cRPG classics", namely, Fallout and Planescape: Torment.

Hah, completely agreed. Oblivion was pretty much just a meh action game. Smiley
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »

Morrowind was much better. After that the series drastically declined in quality of gameplay.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2007, 03:26:42 PM »

Morrowind was much better. After that the series drastically declined in quality of gameplay.

Lol.
I thought Daggerfall was much better than Morrowind Smiley... (However, I didn't think Arena was all that good. I guess that's because I played it long after Daggerfall).

But I still love playing the series. I just wish they'd go back to their roots. (Although if they did, it would probably alienate half their audience so they would stop producing the series after the failure... Cry)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic