Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:31:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlastmaster Borris, the Bear that Blasts Big Blue Beams
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Blastmaster Borris, the Bear that Blasts Big Blue Beams  (Read 7365 times)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »

Noir
Let me tell you about a bear I once knew.
In the mid early late 1950's it was a commonplace scene to see bears at the circus, in a show, or on the streets in Eastern Europe. They'd Perform elaborate dance routines to seduce money from the pockets of honest-working men and women.
The bears weren't as economically minded as they seemed though; for behind the curtain was a league of masters that used bears as hollow tools of greed and deceitful gain.
Borris was one of these bears, caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Borris could never leave- he had a wife and a mortgage and he needed the money. He knew though that one day he'd break out. Then they'd all be free. Because Borris had the gift. He was the bear messiah.

I've bin meaning to start a Devlog for ages, but I'm so unorganised that it'd just come out as a mess. This one'll work though, it's pretty small and neat. I started this game for not the best reason: At the start of this week I lost my phone- I lose stuff all the time and it makes me feel like an absolute useless idiot kid. I'm really bad with this. So before I buy a new one I need to make a game again. Not to make the money back, just so I feel less dysfunctional. And I need to make smaller games.

Blastmaster Borris, the Bear that Blasts Big Blue Beams is a platformer combined with the beam mechanic from Robot Dinosaurs that Shoot Beams When They Roar. The beam obliterates just about everything, and helps you get around with some jetpack-like inertia. I want the game to be a small couple of levels with one sub-boss and one boss so it can end before it loses momentum. I want to finish it within the next couple weeks.
It starts in the circus, then Borris travels across the country, and I'm not sure where I want to end it- Wether it should end modestly, or an extremely over-the-top epic struggle for mankind.

Comments and feedback on the game as it goes would be absolutely fabulous.

Oh, here it is by the way:
http://www.tombrien.co.uk/Games/BORRIS.html

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 11:47:00 AM by I_smell » Logged
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 11:53:57 AM »

I love you.

Sorry, that came out wrong...

I like the way you think and I applaud you making more games about things shooting lazors.

Seems a little short.

PS. if you're buying a new phone the HTC phones are actually awesome.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Wander
Level 1

pixels are my only real friends. (and scotch)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »

that's pretty dope Smelly.

i like the sharpness and thin little lines much better than some of your other games.  It looks good scaled down. :-)

i agree that it's a little short too, but i think you already knew that.  nice job so far.

-The Horrible Vikings-

-= artist will paint for scotch=-
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 08:11:51 AM »

Okay good, that's a good start.
level one is done enough to show how it's ultimately gonna look: http://www.tombrien.co.uk/Games/BORRIS.html

Having second thoughts about the dimensions.
Oh and I'm absolute shit at background art, incase you can't tell.
Wander
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 09:06:05 AM »

say - that's pretty nice.  i like how the lazers double as a jump propulsion system.  can you DOF out the BG?  I think that would look really coooool, but also it's flash, so I don't know if flash does fuzzy lines.  Maybe a little BG fogging to a color would push that BG back and really give you some depth - so a semi-opaque sheet over it or somethin.

Whatevs though, it looks cool.

-The Horrible Vikings-

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 09:28:56 AM »

Oh, Flash can do all sorts. That was a good idea, and seperates the background well.

I like it better without the blur.

Actually, I just toned down the blur and now I'm keeping it.
Afinostux
Level 2

Forgotten Beats

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »

That bear totally stole Bruce Campbell's lower jaw :D

I'm liking how this is looking. My one complaint is that there's not enough screen area below borris to do the laser jump accurately, since very small mouse movements can make the jump unstable.

Actually, after playing it again, that problem is only inside the starting tent. Shooping da Woop in there seems to have different physics. Clicking really close to borris' head makes the laser scatter all over the place, for instance.

ElijahKatz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »

Very cool. Respawning needs to be improved. I kept respawning in the air and dying...
Wander
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »

Oh, Flash can do all sorts. That was a good idea, and seperates the background well.

I like it better without the blur.

Actually, I just toned down the blur and now I'm keeping it.

cool - i'm glad you dig!  I hate to backseat art, but then again - i guess i don't hate to backseat art when I don't get yelled at.  That last screen looks good.  Keep killin it. (^_^)

-The Horrible Vikings-

mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 12:52:56 AM »

I'm more for the second one to be honest.

But they're both very nice.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »

No, a backseat artist is exactly what I need. And I've got a compomise with that blur.

The respawning is fixed. I liked having him pop up as he respawned, but it did interrupt the game.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 04:00:46 PM »

Well I laughed a lot at the first scene in the Circus. Hope there's more exaggerated carnage coming in the game Smiley

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 05:22:31 PM »

UPDATE. Tip: It's the same URL every time. I'm gonna have to stop updating with the full game and start doing screenshots sooner or later though.

Anyway this is looking very ametuer right now, so excuse that. I've added tutorial signposts for anyone who gets stuck and needs a hint, I hope they help.
I like the little hiker guy and want more things like that all over the place.
I like that he goes in a very video-game cave, but it does feel very generic and boring. Like every indie platformer in the world has a section like this, and I feel dumb. If I keep it swift and funny though I could probably get away with it.
Wow, the art needs work. Background tile looks good, but it's obviously not tiled right.
Needs more things to shoot.
Commentary blah blah.
Tell me everything I'm doing wrong, and what I should do right blah blah.
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »

Looking very nice, Smelly.  The game mechanic is very fun, and I can't wait to see where this thing goes.  Grin

Wander
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »

This is fun.  I jumped over the tent and went to the left and died. :-(

Keep it coming with the content.  The only problem I see is that WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR YOU TO FINISH IT.*  Good thing you're damn fast.

*that's SUPPOSED to be a compliment, though it sounds like a snooty statement. (^__^)

-The Horrible Vikings-

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 04:15:56 PM »

Do clouds go in the sky or on the ground?

Each has it's strong point. I could probably use them on the ground when you come out the top of this mountain. I wanted to have parralax scrolling mountaintops there though.
I'm definately gonna start using the blending modes in Flash, I've recently found them to be really good for effects.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 04:19:34 PM »

I vote ground!

Or maybe both, if the paralax background in screenshot #2 is tall enough that you wouldn't see them both at the same time.

But between the two of them, I think the clouds on the ground add more.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 04:24:41 PM »

But you get higher up as the level progresses, so just as they start looking nice they're gone.
ElijahKatz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »

But you get higher up as the level progresses, so just as they start looking nice they're gone.

I say they start in the sky and as you go higher they get lower...
LIKE REAL LIFE!!!  Screamy
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 04:37:14 PM »

Or they could just remain stationary.
Low clouds on the horizon (like in screen 1) always look cool.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic