Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:31:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Spelunker
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Spelunker  (Read 50344 times)
godsavant
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 10:14:52 AM »

Fuckin' A.

Piranha
Level 1

capital z

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 10:28:47 AM »

Very nice job on the portrait.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 10:32:13 AM »

Yeah, looking good so far!

Here's my edit of the in-game sprite:

I think the stance where his body faces to the left is better, since we ill have less trouble animating the walk cycle that way. Otherwise we'll run into the Naija syndrome again.

Also I changed to colors a bit to be closer to the original - I hope I didn't drop out some color palette that I missed?

Anyway, good job on the portrait, looks sweet! But why is he facing upwards?

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 10:42:55 AM »

I dunno really. All the other characters seem to have an "EPIC POSE!!!" thing going on. Shrug

Anyways nice job on the in-game sprite. Also sorry godsavant, but your edit is nice, even though personally I like my nose better. Beer! Hand Thumbs Up Right
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 11:10:29 AM »

vS   Web Cannon   Leaves a web upon impact, which slows enemies trying to move through it. It disappears after a short time. It also traps projectiles, which disappear shortly afterwords.

>S   Bomb   Spelunker tosses a bomb in front of him. It explodes shortly afterwords.

I just want to say, trapped projectiles could just fall to the ground after the web disappear. Could prove to provide interesting results.

As for the bombs, would they be able to be picked up by other players? And occasionally, the bombs could stick to whatever they landed on. But that's been suggested like before.

As for the shotgun, it could be a more focused shotgun blast, since it doesn't spread out too much in the actual game. The rope could just stick to a solid surface and pull Spelunker (isn't his name Indie or did I misread something somewhere?) towards it, and gives him a small jump? I'd say let him swing from it too but that never happened in-game :B
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 11:18:30 AM »

I believe the word is "dynamic"?
That's the one.

You'll have some sort of imput to turn the cape floating off, right? That is one of my biggest gripes with Trilby.
Demon Lizardman
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 12:45:34 PM »

The color on the nose seems a bit too dark on the bottom, try choosing a lighter color, other than that, it looks awesome.

Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »

I like the colours of godsavant's sprite but the shading and stance looks better on Rostiger's sprite.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 01:22:35 PM »

I like the shading on this one best. It's a neat pose, too.

Here's my edit of the in-game sprite:

I dunno, they both look good to me. I think I like the lighter palette better, though.

I just want to say, trapped projectiles could just fall to the ground after the web disappear. Could prove to provide interesting results.
That might work. It could be tricky to make that work with some projectiles, though.

As for the bombs, would they be able to be picked up by other players?
I don't think so. While that would work for an normal item, I think it would make Spelunker players to hesitant to use bombs.

The rope could just stick to a solid surface and pull Spelunker (isn't his name Indie or did I misread something somewhere?) towards it, and gives him a small jump?
That'd be basically like Liero and Trilby's grappling hooks. I don't know if that really fits the Spelunker, though.

PS: He's often called Indie by players, but his given name is Spelunker.

BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 02:16:44 PM »

Yeaaaahhh if we want a rope we're going to have to make it like a ladder.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »

If you could 'cook' the bombs, like in SSB with Link that would solve the other player throwing it back problem - you could hold onto it until it starts flashing, and then throw it, and it would be not enough time to pick up and throw back.

With the rope thing you could make it different and make it so that it always drops straight down and to max length - even if you threw it on an angle. That way you'd have to keep moving across after throwing it on an angle to sorta catch the end.

When you touch the rope it retracts. If you didn't actually touch the rope when you used the move it will stay there until you do touch it (upon which it will spring you straight up to the top of the rope).

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 04:37:44 PM »

That could work, actually. It sounds like kind of a complicated way to basically replicate the jetpack, though.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009, 04:40:27 PM »

I think the bombs should be summoned much like Naija's seed. Also they should probably be on neutral S.

The shotgun blast goes FORWARD, so I think it would make more sense to map that to >S.

Just my 2 cent.

Sprite looks great   Gentleman
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »

If you could 'cook' the bombs, like in SSB with Link that would solve the other player throwing it back problem - you could hold onto it until it starts flashing, and then throw it, and it would be not enough time to pick up and throw back.

With the rope thing you could make it different and make it so that it always drops straight down and to max length - even if you threw it on an angle. That way you'd have to keep moving across after throwing it on an angle to sorta catch the end.

When you touch the rope it retracts. If you didn't actually touch the rope when you used the move it will stay there until you do touch it (upon which it will spring you straight up to the top of the rope).
I was thinking about making the climbing the rope be more like climbing a ladder so that if he uses it then every one can (except for those of fire base attacks or made of fire they just miss and burn the rope... and save us all) he should have a the normal set amount of ropes and can restore by reeling in the rope, if one gets burned or on his stage he finds a crate or box.
falsion
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2009, 11:13:41 PM »

The rope should do damage anyone it hits when thrown like it does in Spelunky. That is one of my favorite ways to kill people in the game when I'm out of all other options.
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 01:18:20 AM »

I'm really excited to see the Spelunker in the game. His movelist looks great, the best representation of the original game while still being a perfectly playable character. I don't have any suggestions for improvements.

I do just want to comment about the sprite though. I liked the rough draft more than the final copy for two reasons:
1. it had a mouth
2. the nose was a better shape, an irregular shape rather than a circle like a clowns nose...

If these two things could be fixed, it would look great!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:43:33 AM by Blaizer » Logged
BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 04:51:15 AM »

Huh?
godsavant
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 09:27:43 AM »

I do just want to comment about the sprite though. I liked the rough draft more than the final copy for two reasons:
1. it had a mouth
2. the nose was a better shape, an irregular shape rather than a circle like a clowns nose...

He never had a mouth in any of the official artwork; I can see your point on the nose, but it's more nitpicking than anything else.

Huh?

Huh?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »

I really like that last sprite. I think it looks just a little cleaner than the one we already have.

BoydTheMilkman
Level 0

My milk is delicious

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2009, 03:19:14 PM »

1. it had a mouth

He never had a mouth in any of the official artwork; I can see your point on the nose, but it's more nitpicking than anything else.

*cough*

http://spelunkyworld.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic