Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:03:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Pixel editor / animator
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel editor / animator  (Read 2148 times)
spinachthief
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2009, 11:28:46 AM »

I just played around with mtpaint and animpixels and my initial impression is that they are just shy of awful.  I want frame advance with arrow keys and a color RGB editor always present in the window.  At least the frame control with the arrow keys must be available some where, right?
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »

GraphicsGale?

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 11:37:49 AM »

A WILD GALEBOT APPEARS

spinachthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 12:36:29 PM »

Ok yeah, this is better.  Frame stepping and other functions can be assigned to keys. The color palette can't be edited without opening the clunky mspaint-style window despite the RGB values being in clear view and editable.  Free version outputs animation in bmps or one tiled bmp.  A comfortable distance from awful, thanks wild galebot.
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 12:59:38 PM »

The color palette can't be edited without opening the clunky mspaint-style window despite the RGB values being in clear view and editable.
mind being a bit more specific, or giving a screenshot there because i'm almost 100% certain you're doing something wrong

or I just read that wrong
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:12:03 PM »

You're doing it the hard way. The RGB and HSV sliders control the color you have selected in the palette when in indexed mode. Switch to indexed mode with All Frames -> Color Depth. The selected color will be outlined in a negative and bolded border. <3

YOU CAUGHT A WILD GALEBOT!

spinachthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 01:52:59 PM »

I just figured out how to do it.  You can drag the current foreground/background color and drop it on any color palette square after editing RGB values.  This is the quicker alternative to double-clicking on the color to open that MSpaint-style window.  You can also blend across a number of palette squares using the gradation function in the palette pull-down.  This is pretty nice, the only thing missing is being able to select areas on the palette for copy-paste between palettes.
Wander
Level 1

pixels are my only real friends. (and scotch)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 08:58:46 PM »

hrmmmmm I'm using photoshop 7 for my art, but honestly, i hate it.  gale looks like it's pretty not bad.  Can you guys point to anything that's been done with that?  I mean, Photoshop has good street cred all around, but a good pixel editor - it is not. (in my opinion)

-The Horrible Vikings-

-= artist will paint for scotch=-
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 05:33:05 AM »

Aand if you reduce colour depth to 256 or lower, each pallette entry will stay constant both in the pallette AND on the canvas.

If you're working on higher colour depth, you can also just blot out colours on the canvas and right click-colour pick, one of my favourite things about it.
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:33:15 AM »

hrmmmmm I'm using photoshop 7 for my art, but honestly, i hate it.  gale looks like it's pretty not bad.  Can you guys point to anything that's been done with that?  I mean, Photoshop has good street cred all around, but a good pixel editor - it is not. (in my opinion)
pretty much around half of pixel artists I know use GG. I use Gale! Jad up there uses Gale. And Jad is a really great pixel artist!

The other half use Promotion. The remainders use Photoshop. A negligible amount use emulated programs, various programs like Tiled, and I don't really know or want to know anyone who uses paint!

So the street cred for GG is very respectable.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic