Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:13:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creativemakin' something new
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: makin' something new  (Read 2236 times)
luvcraft
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2009, 01:22:20 PM »

Hi guys! I'm starting work on a new project, and while I've historically shied away from talking about things I'm working on (because I've found that the more I talk about things the less I actually work on them), talking to friends about my last game while I was working on it actually worked really well (it should be out on Xbox Indie Games in a week or two), so I thought I'd talk about the development of this one, too.

For this project, I'm moving discussion of its development over here to TIGSource-land, because although I'm kind of scared of the large number of strangers here, the vast majority of the discussion I've seen here has been very nice and friendly, so hopefully all these strangers will be nice and friendly to me, too.

So! To kick things off, here's a screenshot:

The ballerina is just a placeholder sprite I had left over from another project that fizzled. You can't tell from the screenshot, but in the actual program the camera spins around the ballerina, and the ballerina sprite stays facing the camera, while the 3D blocks move as they should in 3D space. That's all there is to this so far, but it's a very exciting start!

Assuming I finish it, this will be my first game with 3D elements. I'd planned to work on three other 2D games before I tried to tackle this one, but I actually have very little conscious control over what projects I work on; the crazy muse inside my head tells me that it's time to work on this game, and I am powerless to do otherwise. Also assuming I finish it, this will be an Xbox Live Indie Game, or if I'm very lucky and figure out how to "graduate" from XBLIG to XBLA, then this will be an XBLA game. In the meantime, I'll periodically release WIP builds that will run under Windows, so that people here can playtest it and have fun with it and help me make it better. Until recently I thought that releasing free, early PC builds of a game would undermine the "value" of a full version on the Xbox, but I had a very positive experience with doing that with my last game, so now I think it's a good thing.

I'm pretty sure that I already have all my bases covered for programming and assets, but if I decide for some reason that I need an extra programmer or artist or musician or sound person, then I'll let you guys know.

So! More updates as this project progresses! And I hope to have something playable for you guys soon!
luvcraft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 01:32:24 PM »

oops, I just realized that this should probably be in the devlogs section, but I can't delete it to move it over there. Sad
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »

Lookin good!

luvcraft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »

Lookin good!

Yay! Friendly replies already! Smiley
Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:59:58 PM »

Yay, other people use XNA too!
luvcraft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 07:37:26 PM »

new screenshot:

hopefully some friendly mod will move this thread to the devlogs section for me, since I created it in the wrong section! Smiley
luvcraft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »

switched to an orthographic view, added the selector, and made it so that it generates the terrain the way I want; it's randomly generated, but in a way that every square is just one "step" up or down from at least two of its neighbors, so the entire map can be navigated just by walking, which fixes something that always bugged me about the random maps in Disgaea.

The selector currently cuts off the feet of the character, and I'm working on figuring out how to fix that.

Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 04:16:49 PM »

Neat. I had a mock-up of my own SRPG somewhere...

I always kinda wanted a Disgaea with the Grandia battle time system...Hmmmm...Anyways, good luck...How about some awesome gigantic pixel sprites>? How about some 45 degree slopes?

Offtopic- I've played just about every Nippon Ichi SRPG to date excluding Disgaea 3, which I thought was a big disappointment. My Favorite Nippon game is Makai Kingdom.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:20:36 PM by Draco9898 » Logged

Toucantastic.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic