Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:08:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMove Out of Skull Island!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Move Out of Skull Island!  (Read 7999 times)
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »

NEW PROGRAMMER IS IN! YAAAAAY!  Tears of Joy

Art is ready for integration, although it's not polished and fully animated yet.

The game's really simple, but (I hope) will get really intense as difficulty ramps up. You just need to dig for treasure as fast as possible while preventing pirates from stealing the treasure from you.

I'll post the full Game Design Document here to prove I'm serious about this game and show that the game is a lot of fun. I see a couple flaws I'd try to fix if I start over with another programmer or code it myself, but still, the game design doc shows the game can be solid.

The Game Design Document can be found in a reply further down.

This is a mock-up of the Interface:

This is how it all started:

More about the game really soon!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 02:41:38 PM by Dom2D » Logged

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:48:57 PM »

Seems pretty cool, and i like the graphic style.

Wander
Level 1

pixels are my only real friends. (and scotch)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:17 PM »

This is tight.  The silhouetted ships are rad.

What happened to your skull on skull island?  The map you hand drew is oodles creepier and more towering.

so what's tha player look like?

-The Horrible Vikings-

-= artist will paint for scotch=-
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:26:35 PM »

For the skull, very good comment. I just had an idea how to make the Skull look better and also make the game way more interesting.

The player acts as the Shaman of Skull Island, defending the place against invading Pirates. For now he looks like this in sketch form, although he will be simplified for the in-game graphics:

trybaj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 02:24:10 PM »

I like your art. I especially like the shaman, although I have to second the disappointment in the downgrade of the skull on skull island. I like the menacing sketch better than the shiny in game graphic, and I hope you continue to work on the detail. Dancing on the line between creepy and cheesy can yield some great stuff, so I wish you good luck.

I foresee some hectic combo action in a game like this.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 06:25:16 PM »

By popular demand:

And he can now... talk! He will yell instructions to the player, scream out when he's attacked, etc.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:51:08 PM by dom2d » Logged

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 08:00:46 PM »

hahahahah talking island is awesome!

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 09:01:47 PM »

"Move Out of Skull Island" should be about the teenaged slacker son of a fierce pirate, who has to find a job so that he can afford to move into a new flat, instead of staying rent-free in the basement of his father's pirate lair.

It should start with the fierce pirate father in a menacing pose, yelling, "While ye be livin' under me roof, me laddo, ye'll be obeying me rules!"
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »

Almost, but not quite!
It's the story of Skull Island's shaman, reading his newspaper. He sees an article about the top 10 secret treasure islands, revealing his Island's location and content. Pirates will read about this and come steal the Gold he has stashed in the sand! He looks out the skull eye window - Pirates! Lots of Pirates are coming this way! He tears the newspaper to bits as he screams "DAMN IT! I HAVE TO MOVE AGAIN!". He then heads out and shouts to his skeleton servants "START DIGGING!"
(this all shown in a 10 second intro)
 Corny Laugh

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 09:41:33 PM »

hahah hilarious intro mewse but i like the original.

keep it up  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Wander
Level 1

pixels are my only real friends. (and scotch)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 09:46:09 PM »

Almost, but not quite!
It's the story of Skull Island's shaman, reading his newspaper. He sees an article about the top 10 secret treasure islands, revealing his Island's location and content. Pirates will read about this and come steal the Gold he has stashed in the sand! He looks out the skull eye window - Pirates! Lots of Pirates are coming this way! He tears the newspaper to bits as he screams "DAMN IT! I HAVE TO MOVE AGAIN!". He then heads out and shouts to his skeleton servants "START DIGGING!"
(this all shown in a 10 second intro)
 Corny Laugh

DOOOO ITTTTTT.

I like a talking skull. That will work well when you later make the board game. $$$$$$$

-The Horrible Vikings-

-= artist will paint for scotch=-
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 01:11:10 PM »

To celebrate Talk like a pirate day!, added a mock-up screenshot of Move out of Skull Island!

I haven't talked to Zylum in a week, I hope he's still aboard the project... yaaarrr...

Beg
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:27:18 AM by Dom2D » Logged

aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 04:03:59 PM »

Nice works Dom ! Looking forward to see more ^^ What is happening to the ship on the right ? Looks like a demon dragon head is puking blood on the poor sailors

XXIIVV

Drypoint, Cyanosis, Kanikule, Valentinel, Pierrot Death, Zjeveni, Merveilles, Cenote, Cloud is a Lie, Pico³, Siseon°, Phloston Paradise, Volkenessen, FRACT, Waiting for Horus, Diluvium, Pico Battle, Hiversaires, Melady Antres.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 04:25:14 PM »

Oh hi, didn't know you were on TIGS. Good to know   Gentleman

Yeah it's the current animation for the sinking ship, I'm not so fond of it right now.

I really hope the programmer isn't giving up  Concerned

*EDIT* He's still in! He was just busy! Yay!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:25:50 PM by dom2d » Logged

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 06:54:07 AM »

In case anyone's interested, we have a Development log in here, with more information, game design and our overall progress (which I should definitely update now).

Zylum & Dom2D's Devlog: http://zylumdom2d.wordpress.com/

I also posted a couple of links to articles of interest about indie game development in there, it's always useful.

I'll post some new art this weekend.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 07:18:58 AM »

I'd like to show the title screen's Flash file in here, is there any way to do so?

Hrm. The project is moving slowly.
It's on hold on my side until I see a prototype, which I hope will be soonish Tongue

I'll be working on a personal game project (working titled Anything Beats Everything) til then... More about that soon.

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 07:35:20 PM »

Ahh too bad. I saw the graphics of this game and immediately skim through all of the replies in a hope that I'll find a download link to a demo or something. I really like the graphic style you have there. Somehow it looks very interesting.

As for the flash, I have no idea since the flash command here doesn't seems to work. You could upload it and put a url here for now though Smiley

Hope the prototype is finished soon and good luck with your personal project!

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 05:49:51 PM »

Thanks for the sympathy  Droop

I linked it in the new topic, thanks Smiley

piyush86
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 02:08:45 PM »

Is it going to be an RTS or Turn based strategy ?
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 06:04:34 AM »

Neither!
It's more like an arcade Tower Defense game without Towers, mixed in with Battleship or Minesweepers and bits of Whack-a-Mole....

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic