Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:03:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsQuest for the Picnic Basket!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Quest for the Picnic Basket!  (Read 2468 times)
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2009, 03:59:55 PM »

Hello folks! This is my first devlog, of a game I recently began working on and really hope to complete. It's name? Quest for the Picnic Basket! This game is an attempt to create a "charming platformer", like Kirby or Yoshi's Island. Cute, charming, and hopefully memorable (or at least pretty). (First playable build at bottom of post)
Anywho, details!
Story: Yuuka (Main character) was strolling through her flower garden, carrying a picnic basket, when suddenly a blur flew by. When she looked again, her picnic basket was gone! So she begun an adventure to get the basket back, bringing her trusty parasol and Flower of Protection with her.

Characters:
-Yuuka
Yuuka loves her flower garden as much as going on picnics in it. Her trusty parasol never leaves her side, and she always wears her Flower of Protection in her hat.

Areas: The areas are split into 4 big areas, reach representing a season. The areas are fixed into their respective season permanently.  Each area has “sub-areas” which are kind of like areas within areas. An example would be that the Winter Zone is made entirely of snow-covered mountains, but the mountains have a vast cave system in them. Another example is the Autumn Zone has the Orange Forests and underneath it, the Mushroom Caverns.* The map will likely be somewhat set-up like Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3. Or something. I'll try to make it not quite linear.

Currently Programmed/Done**:
-Ladders
-Going down through jump-thru platforms
-Fans (that blow in all directions!)
-Ice/slippery blocks
-Springs/Trampolines
-"Chain-exploding" Blocks (Like in Kirby or Bonesaw, where you hit the bomb block and it removes or creates blocks in certain areas.) [I have it to destroy blocks, and it shouldn't be difficult to make ones that appear.]

*This is subject to change, as I haven't quite planned out the world yet.
**I'm using the Grandma Engine as a base for this game, seeing as it does slopes and has nice collision and stuff.

The game is being made in GM6.1. I am also looking for someone who's willing to do graphics for this game. I'll help with graphics if I can, but I'm not very good at them, and they're horribly draining to do for me. I want this game to actually LOOK good  Smiley
Note: KittenEater is helping with graphics, so we're actually making progress now! Yay!

I will eventually be looking for a musician. Not currently (it's a bit early to be looking for one) but just putting it out there for now~

Currently what I'd like to know is if this idea sounds good to you and if anyone has any suggestions for the areas/what not. Also, character suggestions are welcome. I only have Yuuka thought up so far, but any side characters would be cool. There isn't much of a story, but you never know when more characters might be cool. Like some non-enemies walking around stages and the sort.

09/10/2009 - First playable build! The Pre-anything Build! Download here!
Controls are: A to Jump, S to use Parasol, and D to deploy/put away Parasol. Yea, I'm using horribly colored blocks and stuff for graphics at the moment. Like I said, Pre-anything build.
You can dive-bomb with the parasol out by pressing down and S in the air. Tell me what you think and try to find any bugs I missed!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:40:39 PM by Solarblade » Logged
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:37:08 PM »

09/17/09 - Sketch of Yuuka by my younger sister. (Scanner is crud so it's not the best quality but yea.)

Well, here's what you could say is the first official (concept) art of the game, done by my little sister. Yuuka should be smiling and the parasol should be longer, but it's better then anything I draw.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:30:35 PM »

Oh wow, I love me some Kirby.

I'm really digging that sketch. There certainly needs to be more games featuring women (in a non-violent/non-sexist way) so I hope you finish this eventually.

Good luck on finding an artist  Coffee perhaps you should post in the creative** section of the site..you may have better chances of obtaining an artist there.

those bloody picnic basket thiefs...what is this world coming to...

**http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=5.0

edit: wait, younger sister?!?!
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 01:01:42 AM »

We're all waiting to see what comes next.  Wink

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »

I will help! That is all I have to say for now.  Tongue

EEEEEEEGH
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 07:34:35 PM »

Hmm.  Named Yuuka.  Loves flowers.  Has an umbrella.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and make a prediction about the identity of the thief, and guess that it might be some kind of crow or bird perhaps?

Smiley

Really looking forward to seeing where you go with this!  The games you listed for inspiration are some of my favorite platformers of all time, and a lot of that DOES come down to the almost whimsical feel of them.  So if you're drawing on them for inspiration... yeah.  I really want to see where this goes!

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 04:28:17 PM »

Yuuka is a happy skippy girl. See her go!

Wheeeeeeee!

EEEEEEEGH
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 02:59:15 AM »

Downloading!

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 10:50:18 AM »

First official screenshot! Still a work in progress but it's PROGRESS!  Hand Shake Left Smiley Hand Shake Right
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic