Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:55:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeGUI Hell - Tutorials Wanted!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: GUI Hell - Tutorials Wanted!  (Read 16494 times)
Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »

Hey, that menu looks really nice, but I would advise you try to limit the number of buttons existing at once in that bottomright menu. Right now the icons there all look very similar at a glance, and finding a particular one would require you to focus your attention on the menu, which I personally dislike doing.
Using some iconic colors there other than just white makes it much easier to immediately recognize one button relative to the others. Alternately, reducing the number of buttons (9 seems excessive, could it be done in 6?) might help.

I very much like the simple design of the map, it uses soft colors, smooth lines and shapes, and has empty space to make it clearly legible.

A game of mine: Ten Second War
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 03:46:12 AM »

I had got a plan to match the 9 bottom right buttons with the numpad on the keyboard, so you can use spatial memory to tap the right key. At many points in the game there would be fewer choices in this panel, so only, say, 4 buttons would appear.

The actual icon graphics are placeholders - I appreciate the need to make them distinctive, but I don't want to turn the UI into a multicoloured jumble. I expect the usability issues will come out once I have more gameplay code working.

The map is a thinly disguised hex grid to make it easier to add user made levels, there might be a larger scale world map you can bring up with more details about the terrain.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic