Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:16:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTheoria: New game project.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Theoria: New game project.  (Read 15657 times)
Jazzman
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »

Theoria is an action RPG in VERY early development for the PC.

Theoria is the first of a 3-part series. The player assumes the command of Glenn, a man who has been wrongly put in a horrible prison for around 10 years, without any knowledge of outside events but strange rumors of an apocalypse, a great war, and more. The main goal of the game is to escape with your buddy.

As you play, signs of mental Deterioration are shown in Glenn. Some of these are hallucinations, schizophrenia, and insanity. You also are thrown in a deeply immersive story full of emotion and false hopes.

You have to chose from Pacifism or killing, and many more things. Escape, live, die, all the choices are yours. It all depends on what you choose.

To learn more about Theoria, visit the development blog at http://jazz.gamerlimit.com

It is in very early development and a trailer is expected in the next few months once the core game is complete.
imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »

Hey, welcome to the forums. Take the time to introduce yourself.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:47:03 AM »

The game looks pretty interesting. I think you're partially falling into the trap of 'Bioware morality' i.e. assuming that morality in a game can be measured on a single axis from 'saint' to 'puppy killer'. But it's still better to give the player a binary choice than no choice at all.

I really like that you're planning to have the evil path lead to such a cruel ending. It's not something that has been done often, if at all, in the past (i.e. in Bioware games, even if you follow the evillest path possible, the game still ends with you killing the big boss and saving the world.)

Can I ask what the actual gameplay will consist of? Will it be 2D or 3D, top-down or sidescrolling? Will the combat be turn-based or real-time? Basically everything on your devlog so far seems to be about the story.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 02:28:16 AM »

I saw where it said you just started 'developing' it a month ago. Freshmen in high school? Maybe you bit off more than you could chew.

If this is your very first game, then it's going to suck hard. If you're really attached to this idea you should put it off. Start off slower. Start with Game Maker or Construct. Those would be the best for just starting out.

Here's some links

http://www.yoyogames.com/make - Game Maker (25 dollars)
http://scirra.com - Construct (free)
http://tkool.jp/products/rpgxp/eng - RPG Maker (60 dollars)

if you are more adventurous you could try to learn flash.

I'd recommend flixel (http://www.flixel.org + flex sdk and free) for flash

sorry to be a bummer, I wish you luck though.
Jazzman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 06:17:09 AM »

The game looks pretty interesting. I think you're partially falling into the trap of 'Bioware morality' i.e. assuming that morality in a game can be measured on a single axis from 'saint' to 'puppy killer'. But it's still better to give the player a binary choice than no choice at all.

I really like that you're planning to have the evil path lead to such a cruel ending. It's not something that has been done often, if at all, in the past (i.e. in Bioware games, even if you follow the evillest path possible, the game still ends with you killing the big boss and saving the world.)

Can I ask what the actual gameplay will consist of? Will it be 2D or 3D, top-down or sidescrolling? Will the combat be turn-based or real-time? Basically everything on your devlog so far seems to be about the story.

Yeah, I need to talk more about that. I kinda had the belief that a game should be based on a story, then the real game comes in.

It's 2D sidescrolling. The player moves and fights kind of like what you would in Castlevania.

Glenn can Kick, Dash, and Duck. He can attack from any position, and his form of attack depends on where the enemy is. For example. If he jumps over an enemy and he/she hasn't turned to face him, He can blindly stab him in the back. Of course it wouldn't be as great as slicing a jugular vein, but it gives combat some flare when you're always looking for new techniques of killing.

Jonathan can stay with him as long as half the game or leave instantly depending on the route. He stands automatically, jumps a wee bit higher, is a tad faster, but not too noticable since he follows Glenn at his pace.

Jonathan can hide in walls (If he hasn't been noticed by anyone), Blackthorne style, Stand and shoot (Only possible when Glenn ducks, since tazing him would suck), and duck to reel in the pegs. Reeling in the pegs takes 2-3 seconds, leaving him vulnerable.

The enemies use several weapons. From most common to rare, Batons, Stun batons, Tasers, Guns. Tasers stun you for a short amount of time and you will pass out if you get tased 3 times, returning to the last cutscene. Guns are a instant kill, but are VERY rare. To kill a gun user, someone dashes to a nearby corner and hides until the gun user strolls by. The player automatically gets a new direct method of attack Vs. gun users which will knock the gun away.

Let me know if you want more info! Smiley

It's stressful to say the least, but I'm doing very well!  Hand Shake Left Tired Hand Shake Right
giftedmunchkin
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 06:40:26 AM »

On the blog it mentions that the decision is chosen by how you kill the first guard… Is that really a good idea? If morality is such an important part of the game, it shouldn't be decided at the beginning of the game, when the players are still coming to grips with the gameplay and the story.

Still, love the idea and what you have so far. Do you have any concept art or artwork of the game?

Aaron
Jazzman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 09:22:58 AM »

On the blog it mentions that the decision is chosen by how you kill the first guard… Is that really a good idea? If morality is such an important part of the game, it shouldn't be decided at the beginning of the game, when the players are still coming to grips with the gameplay and the story.

Still, love the idea and what you have so far. Do you have any concept art or artwork of the game?

Aaron

That's a nice observation. Jonathan is a indirect tutorial. In the first room, there are no enemies and you can't use the knife. Jonathan asks you to "Get used to things." In the Second room, he claims you're "About to make some noise." He points out that survival is a priority, and Glenn points out the fact that he's using a non-lethal weapon. Jonathan then claims it is his decision and Glenn doesn't have to follow it.

Third room is like a storage facility and you meet the first enemy. The game will blatantly narriate that you have a decision to make. Depending on what you do to the patrol guard (Unarmed, mind you) you choose your route and Glenn could leave depending on it (The reason to be explained in the second installment).

There are many advantages to the way I present Fast-Paced scenarios. It forces the player to pay attention, view things in a deeper way, and by human nature mystery invokes interest.

This game is all a big mystery, and the player's comprehension ability is tested in it. Jonathan is hinted at keeping secrets, and the second game where you play in his point of view uncovers those things.

At the start of the third game the player (Taking control of some new faces) will understand everything that happens in the facility in all clarity. The third game is sandbox-esque. Now that you've figured out all the mysteries, the player is tasked with finding out more about the world, who he is, what happened to everyone, and many, many more. Once the player is aware of everything, he is required to organize a independent republic. Whether or not he succeeds is based on how the player plays the game.

Theoria will be released first, and as I finish both games, the game will be expanded. Although I maintain Emphasis that they are different games, they will all fit into one package.

The game can be fully downloaded or burned as a .iso file to a disk.

Phew, that was more of a rant than a reply! I have to get back to blogging once I finish my weekend reading Smiley
Dragonmaw
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 10:29:13 AM »

Need some concrete programming skills up in here. Seems like a lot of design being bandied about but no real progress in terms of coding.

For example, you have a "draft" of a trailer on the development blog. Why would you waste time on that? Work on the game first, then when it is in a semi-presentable state, start working on your trailer. Trailers and PR material are for when a game is at least in beta, possibly in Release Candidate status.

You seem to be going about this the wrong way. Don't misunderstand me, I really hope you get this done. But buckle down and work on the actual game, and stop talking about the sequel, how you are drafting trailers, etc. There's very little in the realm of actual work that seems to be going on, and you've made it clear that your ambitions are very large.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 05:19:33 PM »

You seem to be going about this the wrong way. Don't misunderstand me, I really hope you get this done. But buckle down and work on the actual game, and stop talking about the sequel, how you are drafting trailers, etc. There's very little in the realm of actual work that seems to be going on, and you've made it clear that your ambitions are very large.

Which reminds me, I forgot to mention that having a design document and the game planned out ahead of time is all well and good-but likely most of the ideas will be scratched and revised and your game will not be the same game you had envisioned months ago. I can't recall any single game that fit to it's design document without at least a few major changes. For example you may do a test run of your game and realize that "face paced scenarios meant to force the player pay attention" isn't enjoyable or they don't fit-and scrap it.

I don't think I've ever seen a game developer designing two sequels at the same time as the main game  WTF

Just like Dragonmaw said, I wish you luck. Game sounds interesting, I just think you're going about it the totally wrong way.
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »

Jonathan no doubt ends up being a figment of Glenn's imagination yeah? (Or the other way around...)

If that's the twist, it will still work, but you need to be very careful in the order that you introduce things in your story - for instance, if you introduced Jonathan first and then Glenn, or made the imaginary one seem like a very concrete person in some other way, you'd have a much better chance of the audience not picking up on it.

If not, nevermind me Tongue

I'd also echo other people in the thread, try to get a prototype up and running as soon as possible - that will inform you regarding what you can actually achieve within the game, what you'll need to cut, what you can expand on, etc.

Good luck dude, it sounds pretty cool Smiley

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 02:38:08 AM »

Let me know if you want more info! Smiley
Thanks, can you tell me what you're using to develop the game?

Jazzman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 04:36:29 PM »

Which reminds me, I forgot to mention that having a design document and the game planned out ahead of time is all well and good-but likely most of the ideas will be scratched and revised and your game will not be the same game you had envisioned months ago. I can't recall any single game that fit to it's design document without at least a few major changes. For example you may do a test run of your game and realize that "face paced scenarios meant to force the player pay attention" isn't enjoyable or they don't fit-and scrap it.

I don't think I've ever seen a game developer designing two sequels at the same time as the main game  WTF

Just like Dragonmaw said, I wish you luck. Game sounds interesting, I just think you're going about it the totally wrong way.

Both of you point out very great points.

Theoria 1 is not meant to be a game, it’s supposed to be a experience. Unlike, say, a book, or a movie, the game requires player imput. Therefore, the possibilities are endless! You can make a player responsible for their actions, allow a player to interact the way they want, it’s just beautiful.

Additionally, I am aware that my methods are unconventional, but that’s one of the neat things about development. You can free-hand it or follow things by the book! Of course, I enjoy free-hand more since it lets me get more experience and add that personal touch!

Jonathan no doubt ends up being a figment of Glenn's imagination yeah? (Or the other way around...)

If that's the twist, it will still work, but you need to be very careful in the order that you introduce things in your story - for instance, if you introduced Jonathan first and then Glenn, or made the imaginary one seem like a very concrete person in some other way, you'd have a much better chance of the audience not picking up on it.

If not, nevermind me Tongue

I'd also echo other people in the thread, try to get a prototype up and running as soon as possible - that will inform you regarding what you can actually achieve within the game, what you'll need to cut, what you can expand on, etc.

Good luck dude, it sounds pretty cool Smiley

Nope, they’re real. Some of the main twists are what’s outside, who Jonathan is/why he is there, why Glenn was given a knife, and who the unknown ally is.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »

Both of you point out very great points.

Theoria 1 is not meant to be a game, it’s supposed to be a experience. Unlike, say, a book, or a movie, the game requires player imput. Therefore, the possibilities are endless! You can make a player responsible for their actions, allow a player to interact the way they want, it’s just beautiful.

So it's a game.

Don't get all indie artistry pretentious on us. It's a game. Otherwise, you would be posting on "The Indie Experience Source". Technically, anything you do is an "experience." Sitting here and reading me writing to you is an experience.

That being said, you did not answer, or even acknowledge (more than "those are good points" and that is all) any of the concerns I brought up. Where is the art? What is going on with the programming? What frameworks and platforms do you intend to use? These are all questions that really need to be answered before you start hyping your game.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 07:24:14 PM »

An experience? What? Games are an experience. I don't get what you mean. Do you mean like an interactive novel? If it is an action RPG as you say, then no matter what you say it is a video game.

Your methods are not "unconventional" they are simply a script/design document as far as you have told us. This sounds like Planescape Torment of a 2d Mass Effect, Fallout 1/2..etc.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT you to succeed. But you have to show concrete evidence for anyone to take you serious, other than simple interest in the premise of your "video game".

I say this because I have seen tons of kids your age have these wonderful, over-elaborate game ideas and they never amount to what they originally proposed or anything at all.

The first thing you should have done is make a simple design document with most of the ideas you want to include (gameplay mostly) and test it out. So far all you have is fancy text. If I was you, I would not mention anything until I have the alpha/beta version of the game that I want to create or at least a prototype. as i said before, gamemaker, construct, and rpg maker are your best bets.

you never did tell us what engine you are using. any artwork at least? you seem to be ignoring our questions.

don't misunderstand me, your idea seems pretty good. i would love to play it. and i wish you all the luck. to keep it short, you should  answer some questions:

what programming skills, if any, do you currently have?
what game engine are you currently using or plan on using?
any concept artwork, in-depth diagrams, or a prototype?

edit: redundant questions, didnt see dragon's post. ah well.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 07:31:31 PM »

Additionally, I am aware that my methods are unconventional, but that’s one of the neat things about development. You can free-hand it or follow things by the book! Of course, I enjoy free-hand more since it lets me get more experience and add that personal touch!

You enjoy free-hand development more? I'm kind of at a loss of what to say here. You haven't even developed anything. A good way to doom a programming project to failure is to just code "free-hand" and then have to untangle the mess when you try to link all the pieces together smoothly. It's like trying to build a house by "eyeballing" where everything should go as you build it.

It is good that you have a neat idea for a story/game/experience, but just try getting a dude walking around on the screen. Really. Try it. Just a dude walking around. Even the most basic stuff will take you hours to figure out.

People will get excited for your game when there is something to *see* to be excited about.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »

I recall how long it took me to create joystick support for Game Maker (in version 5). I was just starting out at the time however. My point is that sometimes it is just the littlest things that make programming difficult when starting out with very little experience.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 09:14:38 PM »

It took me quite a while to even establish a working vertical scrolling shooter engine in Flash. Programming is not an easy task.

Edit: I just saw your latest developer post. Stop with this beta bullshit. Stop hyping. Release concrete details. The art is a step in the right direction, but all you did is draw one frame and then size it up. Do some animation, concept art, anything.

The more I read up on this, the more it bothers me.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:20:05 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 09:54:28 PM »

It took me quite a while to even establish a working vertical scrolling shooter engine in Flash. Programming is not an easy task.

Edit: I just saw your latest developer post. Stop with this beta bullshit. Stop hyping. Release concrete details. The art is a step in the right direction, but all you did is draw one frame and then size it up. Do some animation, concept art, anything.

The more I read up on this, the more it bothers me.

brb while I get me popcorn.

but I don't think he's hyping it for the sake of it, I just believe he's really excited with his concept. He's only a freshman in high school. I believe he underestimates how difficult it is to really program. Even though Game Maker is quite easy, using drag and drop is kind of a hindrance considering the scope of his ideas.

to jazzman: I suggest you dig thorough flash/game maker/etc tutorials because like I said, I believe you are underestimating the task. Maybe you should try the Games Factory by clickteam. If I am not mistaken it is the sucessor to klik'n'play. Many well-know developers used that program to get their start, years ago. I've never tried either though. Something to thank about of course..
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 01:15:17 AM »

Seems like he responded to all the stuff we've been saying on his blog: http://jazz.gamerlimit.com/2009/09/email-qa-week-1/

The combat mechanics for glenn are working, which is fantastic, and I havn’t had too many glitchy things going on.
So apparently he has actually got some sort of engine working.

Jazzman, you should probably understand that these forums have seen a large number of people like you, who are young and think that developing a game will be easy. Often they have outlandish ambitions, no actual work done, and are obnoxious to boot. Within a few days they get angry at people trying to give them good advice and they leave in a huff.

You don't seem to be so bad as all that, though - you're certainly not obnoxious and you've apparently got some work done with both the programming and the art. However the 'ambitious' part really does apply to you. Planning a whole trilogy of games in advance is probably biting off more than you can chew.

What I recommend you to do is to make sure your first game can stand alone, and it doesn't necessarily need the two sequels for it to make sense. That way you have the option of stopping after one game if you want to. That's not so much because you may find it hard to complete three games but because you might not want to. Freshman means it's your first year in high school, right? When I think about what was important to me in my first year of high school, and then compare it to only two or three years later, it changed a hell of a lot. You may well find that if you spend a year and a half developing your first game, the ideas behind the other two might not be so appealing.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents and I wish you good luck with the game.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 02:24:21 AM »

I'll respond here to some of his questions on his blog.

#1, First, your first Q/A part seems complete rubbish. You're working on code? Great, what platform? And hearing you mention that you haven't encountered "many glitchy things" is quite...odd, especially for your first game.

#2, But you definitely aren't too young to make a decent game. Takishawa is Dead is a isometric 3d game made in Game Maker and he is 16 as well (according to his profile page on here)he also has a 2d platformer in development that is quite decent looking. Takishawa isn't groundbreaking but it's a great game. Even featured on Bytejacker.

#3, I think it's too early to have sequels so well laid out and tied in in the ways you want in the first game

#4, don't feel like replying to that one. should speak for itself

#5,
Don’t fret, saves will be compatible with each update!
Facepalm

You can go through the devlogs sub-section and find dozens of posts with kids your age that are incredibly ambitious. And even some adults, who underestimate how difficult game development is.

Anyways, the sprite on your blog reminds me of the same kind of style Iji uses. Unless you respond I am going to relieve myself of this thread. I do hope you stick around. Check out the tutorials sub-forum. I'd say go for the Game Maker ones. They do have a free version, I just do not know how limited it is. Good luck   Coffee
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic