Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:18:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTheoria: New game project.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Theoria: New game project.  (Read 15658 times)
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 05:32:33 AM »

But you know they say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... well at least you've taken that step and you're walking in the right direction. Most people in your situation don't get that far, they just hang around forums asking people to do work for them. So keep at it!

Beer!

Hell yeah. Great to hear you have things. Sure, they're buggy, but they're there. I think it took me a year to bother to get to that stage.  :D
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 09:21:59 AM »

The game is being made in GM7 pro. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that earlier Sad

I realize this is my first game, but I'm working very, VERY, VERY hard to get it working! I have absolutely no idea why my game is going to suck just because it's my first. Experience helps, but I'm doing fine so far!

Hehe, he has no idea what's coming to him Ninja

Nah, good stuff man, thanks for the answer. Good luck and keep us posted with how it's going - if you get stuck feel free to ask any questions or etc Coffee

deathtotheweird
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »

Indeed William. As much as I believe that you have too much on your plate, doesn't mean you should just up and quit. It was just a bit of advice that I wish someone gave me when I was your age and starting out. But, you may be dissapointed in the outcome.

Flavourful language? I don't think so, I could have chosen my words a little more.."friendlier"..but I didn't, so what? When I was even younger than you age and had grand ideas for creating games no one was there to tell me that my ambitions were too high and I was setting myself up for failure (but experience is a plus). So when I did create my abortion of a game I was depressed and wanted to just give up programming. The reason I said the things is because you remind me at age 15 or so.

*Player moves and the Collision is perfectly fine.
*Player can jump, but it isn't stable

Those issues and.."features" (ie. collision), takes about 5 seconds for anyone to implement. Even if they just downloaded Game Maker 7. But do you want any help on fixing the jumping? Post your code here (are you using drag/drop or scripts?) and I, and possibly others would try to fix the program for you. Or if you need any other kind of advice, such as the attack 'hitbox' issue.

Your first game will suck. There is no way around it. Actually, I've seen people create their first games that were pretty great (however, less ambitious than yours and some probably had prior code experience-and were shorts)..such as All of our Friends are Dead.

Experience does help, but you have none right now. If you take your time (you said you would be done in a few months) then I would believe it wouldn't be that bad. I've just seen plenty of first games (including mine) that weren't that fun, and didn't come out the way I originally envisioned. Don't let any one of us discourage you. Keep on with it. Starting out at your age is promising and when you get a few years of decent experience under your belt you would make some decent games, with the wonderful ideas you have. Which is my problem. I can make games but I am bad at conjuring up ideas...and artwork.

How far along are you into the engine aspect of the game? Or have you started on the game proper? Why not upload an engine/game test video to youtube or something? Your devlog is more about the idea of the game and what you want to accomplish. The GamerLimit-only beta is quite silly since you gave no reason why.

Again, good luck  Coffee I'll offer my help again if you have any specific questions or if you want to look at my platformer engine that I prototype with. If anything, you could just look at my code (I rarely use drag 'n' drop though) and learn from it.
Jazzman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 04:07:57 PM »

I would like to randomly apologize for not responding quickly to you guys. Y'all move too fast! I've got like 3 tests tomorrow, heh.

Well people are probably going to be here in a minute to tell you that's hardly any work at all, and they're basically right. But you know they say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... well at least you've taken that step and you're walking in the right direction. Most people in your situation don't get that far, they just hang around forums asking people to do work for them. So keep at it!
To get more stuff done, I recommend you to focus on the artwork and game engine to begin with. Plotting out exactly what will happen in each scene of the story is not really that useful - once you've actually got the game running you will probably find that a lot of things don't work like you thought they would, and you'll want to change them around anyway.

Also, what do you mean by the player can jump, but it isn't stable?

I like your advice ALOT. I'm going to make the alpha art more than lines and colors, and continue working. I really, really appreciate your support.

By not stable, is I'm having problems getting him to kick, and he jumps WAY too fast and unrealistically.

I'd say that's a good start, now that we know he's actually workin on it  :D

One thing, though. Art, music, story, game design...that's the fun part! It's the programming that's a pain! Screamy

Oh yeah, no doubt!  Tired
Not a big fan of art though, I SUCK at it, TBH.

Hehe, he has no idea what's coming to him Ninja

Nah, good stuff man, thanks for the answer. Good luck and keep us posted with how it's going - if you get stuck feel free to ask any questions or etc Coffee

I'm going to have nightmares about that GM hammer icon. Speaking of that, it would be funny to photoshop it and add a sickle.

I appreciate the support! I fortunately havn't gotten any difficult problems yet, usually a quick google solves it.

Experience does help, but you have none right now. If you take your time (you said you would be done in a few months) then I would believe it wouldn't be that bad. I've just seen plenty of first games (including mine) that weren't that fun, and didn't come out the way I originally envisioned. Don't let any one of us discourage you. Keep on with it. Starting out at your age is promising and when you get a few years of decent experience under your belt you would make some decent games, with the wonderful ideas you have. Which is my problem. I can make games but I am bad at conjuring up ideas...and artwork.

How far along are you into the engine aspect of the game? Or have you started on the game proper? Why not upload an engine/game test video to youtube or something? Your devlog is more about the idea of the game and what you want to accomplish. The GamerLimit-only beta is quite silly since you gave no reason why.

Again, good luck  Coffee I'll offer my help again if you have any specific questions or if you want to look at my platformer engine that I prototype with. If anything, you could just look at my code (I rarely use drag 'n' drop though) and learn from it.

Oh yes, Artwork is my nemesis! I don't want to involve people beyond myself in my first project because I need to learn and it's gonna be a long ride. About it being done "In a few months," I'm afraid I don't recall that. I'm going to take my time, as agonizing as it is, because it's the only way I'll actually learn and make a decent attempt at a quality game.

I'm using script tutorials, and if things don't work out too well (Problems beyond a few google pages) I Drag & Drop.

I'm gonna delete a lot of stuff since I'm all over the place there, and create a more simple one, with less random blurbs of spoilers. I had too much fun on the script!

The beta is very small, only 3 people are doing it. It's not going to be ready for a while.

EDIT 8:34 CENTRAL TIME UTC -6

The dev blog is under revamp to be a more suitable site. Could take a few days. Instead of disorganized rants, I will put pages on many subjects.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 05:35:42 PM by Jazzman » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 06:27:56 PM »

ah, I see. well, keep us up dated on the gameplay.

cheers   Coffee
Jazzman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2009, 06:00:30 PM »

Update: The dev blog is back up. Hopefully it's good.
aznmonk
Level 0

There and back again!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »

as i expected this died.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic