Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:22:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSilverline
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Silverline  (Read 9454 times)
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2009, 04:13:02 AM »

Welcome to Silverline, a multiuser adventure game.

This is a cooperation between Docjones (Mr. Server), Lazycow (Mr. Client) and Scamper (Mr. Music)
(feel free to contact us if you want to contribute)

open tasks:
- pixeling 16x16 monsters or background blocks (should match the style of the screenshots)
- designing dungeon levels with the editor
- programming (e.g. a procedural dungeon generator, or other things) - in C

Screenshot of the level edtior

A "walk around test" with the Silverline-client and some character drafts...

Silverline is a client-server game with a single main server. (So you can only play it over internet)
Actually, the client is available for Windows and Linux (MacOS X and iPhoneOS are planned)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:30:24 PM by Lazycow » Logged

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 05:17:19 AM »

Didn't you hear, I'm the new Tim Langdell. I have a trademark on the word "Line" for use in the game industry. You may have heard of our hardly know unreleased game called "Heat Line" by Riders. Please change the name of your game to "Silverspline" or I will be forced to contact my lawlers.

:D

Seriously though, it looks awesome. Which is why I must dream crush you!!!! MWHAHAHAHA

DocJones
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 05:17:49 AM »

Heyas,

basic architecture is a MySQL database serving the account, player, map, items data and handling the monsters.

Communication betwenn client and server is done using a self developed protocol which emulates a very basic RPC (remote procedure call) interface.

Feel free to ask if you have questions. I may come back and post a ERM of the database model (if i find out how to attach images...)

regards
/D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:26:54 AM by DocJones » Logged
hagel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 07:59:01 AM »

The "walk around test" looks awesome!

I have one question, what kind of battle system will you use?
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:52:12 AM »

Probably "Zelda-like"...

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 02:50:24 AM »

Probably "Zelda-like"...

YES. And that level editor interface looks awesome.

hagel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 04:15:16 AM »

Probably "Zelda-like"...

Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
I will be paying close attention to this thread

Also, DocJones, what language are you using, if c++, how are you connecting to the database? i.e. what library or whatever.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:20:12 AM by hagel » Logged
DocJones
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »

Heyas,

currently, the whole database related stuff is done in ... *drummroll* MySQL's procedural SQL dialect..  Well, hello there!

Works quite well so far, we have tested up to 3 clients simultaneously and we had a test of one client and approximately 8 to 10 server side controlled monsters.

We may end up moving the monster AI outside the database to gain better performance. Probably a plug-in for the server would work as well...

Server is my iMac (2x2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM) at the moment.

If you are looking for a way to connect programmatically to a MySQL, see here for a good start.
Currently, the client is directly connecting the database using the C-API.

regards
/D
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »

How many players do you plan to support? The direct-database server model sounds a bit dangerous to use if you expect it to scale to more than a dozen people or so.

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 05:50:56 PM »

Unless this is some giant open world thing, 12 sounds like plenty. From the screen shot it looks like you are all just raiding some dungeon together.

"Adventure game" makes me think it will play like coop Zelda too, which would be madness with any more than 12 people. (And probably madness with anything over like... 6)

DocJones
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 11:00:43 PM »

Heyas,

we are currently aiming at 15k players  :D

j/k... The database model is a prototype test only. Currently we dont have a "real" server available. If things get ... rough, i consider a migration to a free oracle or db/2 database. Both compile their internal SQL dialect, whilst MySQL just interprets it.

I am hoping for MySQL move from interpreter to compiler in a few versions.

As for the gameplay: It seems as if it is moving towards a Multiplayered-Zelda/Nethack-Clone. So, Dungeon raiding on multiple levels (maps). But it may be we integrate some "open world" maps, as well (currently the graphic subset only contains walls/floors, iirc).

regards
/D
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 02:47:23 AM »

for the gameplay: It seems as if it is moving towards a Multiplayered-Zelda/Nethack-Clone. So, Dungeon raiding on multiple levels (maps). But it may be we integrate some "open world" maps, as well (currently the graphic subset only contains walls/floors, iirc).
Tears of Joy

DocJones
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 06:46:30 AM »

Here is the ERM

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:55:37 AM by DocJones » Logged
hagel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 09:07:39 AM »

Here is the ERM

Hand Shake Left Shocked Hand Shake Right

Awesome, cluttered but awesome. I know from experience that it's hard work to do ERMs. Good work, man.

How often are you saving the Xpos and Ypos to the database, assuming it is not every step?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:29:45 AM by hagel » Logged
DocJones
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 10:47:57 PM »

Heyas,

the ERM has been generated using TOAD for MySQL. It has evolved over time, but its pretty much stable now. Apparently, only approximately 30% of its possibilities are developed (eg. item management, inventory, equipment, dynamic objects, dynamic maps, different profession/races/gender templates are currently there in only skeletal form).

The position of the toons (players and monsters operate on the same table, monsters are basically a special account which is controlled by the server) is saved every step. Otherwise you would have "jumps" in the movement on the other clients.

We are currently doing it like this:
- Player hits movement key (cursors)
- Client send a message to the server: "Move Player around"
- Client starts to move towards the new target
- Server checks for walls, monsters, dynamic objects, etc.
- Server updates position on toon table
- trigger detects change on toon table and sends message to all clients with toons on the same map (this happens for EVERY update on toon-table)
- Client verifies new position.

Note: The client does not check for walls, etc. If you start moving next to a wall in the wrong direction, server denies movement and client resets position back to the original state.

We limited ourselfs to ~2 movements per second at the moment(toon.speed is 2 for all toons atm). I still have to test the new implementation of this limitation server side.

Monsters are controlled in an endless loop (aka: Operate every monster which is on the same map as an active player, etc). We already got a smooth demo with ~12 monsters an one player.

If you are interessted, i can show you parts of the serverside code.

regards
/D
deathtotheweird
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 11:27:40 PM »

Please tell me it isn't multiplayer only. If it becomes popular then that's ok I suppose..But like many indie multiplayer games I play, player count is quite sparse.

Hopefully you may create a single player mode? I guess you could just make a client and a server and play by yourself but I would assume that would be quite difficult (this is co-op, right?)
hagel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 03:17:13 AM »

Hand Shake Left Evil Hand Shake Right
Yes please.
DocJones
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 05:56:38 AM »

Please tell me it isn't multiplayer only. If it becomes popular then that's ok I suppose..But like many indie multiplayer games I play, player count is quite sparse.

Hopefully you may create a single player mode? I guess you could just make a client and a server and play by yourself but I would assume that would be quite difficult (this is co-op, right?)

Um,... single player isn't really supported yet. You know, technically you can just install a MySQL, upload table DDL and UDF DDL into it and play with the client locally. But then again, this would mean to release the server code to public, which is not really wanted (yet).

Let's see, where this goes.

regards
/D
DocJones
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 05:57:07 AM »

Hand Shake Left Evil Hand Shake Right
Yes please.

PM sent.
hagel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 08:28:28 AM »

Any progress?
  Hand Joystick Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: