Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:53:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Why pixel art?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
Print
Author Topic: Why pixel art?  (Read 65263 times)
Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2009, 09:38:23 AM »

Just think of the consequences!
Robotwo
Level 2

I'm a complicated being after all

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 20, 2009, 10:08:42 AM »

My life is so vollatile that it only has a Quarter-life , so observe with hasty Concerned

What we are is simply a stepping stone to what we can become
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2009, 01:51:41 AM »

It's true that pixel art is not very good,have you seen blueberry garden?

blueberry garden has an awesome and very original style

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
hoose
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2010, 04:37:09 PM »

If I wanted to I could go onto Deviant art and start posting HORRIBLE art drawn in flash and photoshop.
Because if I wanted to start carving at flash art I could, I really hate most all art that comes from flash.
It looks cartoony, their colors are always way too bright, they use wayyy too many gradients, a lot of the time most flash animations and movies are all crap.

So obviously flash as a medium is a complete waste of time, and creativity.
People should just stop using flash cause obviously it can't create anything decent.[/sarcasm]

I mean, posting bad works by bad artists isn't really proving that pixel art it's self is bad.
Because again, that has to do with the skill of the artist, not the medium.
A good example of bad flash art is the use OVERLY obsessive use of gradients. :/

[/quote]

I'm the one who drew that picture and I did it using MSpaint. I don't even own Flash or Photoshop. I just wanted to correct you on that.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 29, 2010, 04:40:50 PM »

You spent your only manbaby post on thread necromancy?

Well, if you must.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 30, 2010, 08:03:39 AM »

I have read the whole thread:
You says pixel art have to be "low rez"? That's just a trend, but i have happen to stumble on full rez pixel art (more than 2000px, up to 3 times). They also happen to have nothing to do with gae culture.

The other things is that necro manbaby pics, i do not find it bad... it convey an attitude you may not like and identify with BUT it does not mean it's bad. With better context it can be rad Tongue

What makes something good is usually identification to the "message/attitude/feelings" more than the craft (which is part of the identification process).

It became bad when you are repel by the implicit idea convay by the look.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: May 30, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »

There's a lot of appeal in it, that has already been beaten to death in this thread already. But there's a bit more to it; it's completely approachable and accessible to anybody, an especially important part of indie-devving in particular.

Pixel games kinda goes into the range of time and depth where one or two people are capable of producing an amazingly fun experience, inside and out; without needing corporate backing, a dev team, and a $600 illustration/modeling program. The very fabric of mythology* that seperates "indie game-dev" from "professional game-dev." And there's something unmistakably amazing about taking a 16x16 or 32x32 "block of dots," basically, and making them resemble something uncannily and unmistakably.

SMB Mario  Hand Point Left Wink In what other context could THIS be a MAN?

It's almost comparable to making transforming (and optionally combining) robots out of LEGOs (and I mean, WAAAAY before "Technic" came, too). I know I did that! Anybody else here?

(Or more to the point, making ANYTHING decent-looking out of old-school LEGOs. That's almost a "training skill," right there. LEGOs nowadays come in 20 pieces, and they're all prefabricated - but back when I was a kid, they came in sets of basic 50s of "bricks," and you had to mold them all together with style! They did give us wheels and and basic propeller joints, though (and later, "swing joints"); which did prove vital for aforementioned robots.)

*I do say mythology here, though; because look at what some of these indie developers like Derek and Alec here have done, with very limited conspiracy involved. They prove that pixelization is no longer a budgeting limitation to indie-developers, but simply an artistic choice. Poke around TIGS-DB too, sorted by rating to see for yourself.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 31, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »

This thread has run its course a long while ago. It's merely a way to attract people to pidgeon-hole the entire independent gaming community into 'rabid pixel-art lovers', as they don't realize how condescending it is to generalize an entire community into a specific label. It also attracts plenty of ignorant behaviour that enjoys saying that a certain art style is superior, and the skill of the artist doesn't matter.

Just let it die again.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2010, 06:16:10 AM »

Skills do matter but only when it have a purpose in the piece Wink

hum.. oh ok.. i shut up  Who, Me?

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2010, 07:18:07 AM »

This thread has run its course a long while ago. It's merely a way to attract people to pidgeon-hole the entire independent gaming community into 'rabid pixel-art lovers', as they don't realize how condescending it is to generalize an entire community into a specific label. It also attracts plenty of ignorant behaviour that enjoys saying that a certain art style is superior, and the skill of the artist doesn't matter.

Just let it die again.

I am proud of you for not locking this. Beer!

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2010, 09:20:36 AM »

Pixel art was born from limitations, but it's very much a bonafide art style now.  My heart has a substantial soft spot for it, and I'm happy it's making a resurgence and breathing again (extra badass that it's happening through indie games and other cool underground communities like Pixelation).  I used to think that we had all seen the peak of pixel art and it was doomed to become a lost art form/technique, but I'm not scared anymore Tears of Joy 

I also believe in exploring new ground artistically and experimenting to find something unique, but it's up to the artist/developer to choose the style that speaks loudest to them.

dmeets
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 16, 2010, 07:33:45 AM »

So I just read the first page, and oh my goodness when is ciellus gonna be worked on again?
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: June 16, 2010, 07:45:56 AM »

THIS TILING IS SO GOOD

SO GOOD

How the mother HELL DO YOU DO THAT if your brain is not tiled already *  n  *

they're like 8x8 tiles, right?

I mean I can understand how you concept this but how you then PULL IT OFF like this, without obivous jaggies and shit everywhere. Seriously incomprehensible to my brain.

I've been working on tiles all day at work and believe me, it does not look like this. At all. Fffuu

(I derailing shit out of thread, but seriously. I guess my complete ignoring the thread topic sort of conveys my opinion on what I think about the question in itself)
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: June 16, 2010, 08:20:51 AM »

So I just read the first page, and oh my goodness when is ciellus gonna be worked on again?
Probably never Concerned

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: September 12, 2010, 11:39:08 AM »

I've had some discussions lately with an architect friend of mine about pixel art.  He wrote this post on his website about it as a movement and it's relationship to other art movements.  Thought some of you might find it interesting.

http://thelyingtruthofarchitecture.wordpress.com/2010/08/25/the-new-medium-is-the-message/

Hand Metal Left Pixel 11 Hand Metal Right

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: September 12, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »

1. I like the way it looks.
2. It's fun to draw.
3. It's a challenge.

I have more experience with vector and raster art, and I think those are both far easier to animate well, but at least for the games I've made so far I just think the pixel art feels more natural to the game.

Just kidding, I do it cause all the cool kids do it.

hi
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 12, 2010, 04:04:23 PM »

Because I use flash and everyone in flash uses vectors and I want to be sparkey.
diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: September 13, 2010, 04:17:50 AM »

I have to say that I prefer pixel art over full blown 3D or whatever for one simple reason; well done pixel art will ALWAYS look great, whereas 3D graphics, no matter how stylized, will eventually look outdated and ugly.

I mean, just look at any 3D game that's older than 5 years. Then look at, say, the Megaman series. They're ageless.

Good pixel art is extremely hard to do, which is why I rarely do anything above programmer art. I can do decent animation and minimalistic style, but good looking pixel-level shading is extremely hard to pull off, whereas I can shade my way on paper or a tablet with near zero effort.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 13, 2010, 05:08:01 AM »

It's quicker to manage, I'll admit. Pixel art, to me, is something sorta sacred, if you catch my drift. It can be used as a holy man's palette or a five-year-old with MS Paint. Time is saved when it can be done efficiently, which is rather diffucult, especially for animation.

Of course, this is just tooting the same horn, but it sometimes couldn't be stressed enough.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 14, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »

I have to say that I prefer pixel art over full blown 3D or whatever for one simple reason; well done pixel art will ALWAYS look great, whereas 3D graphics, no matter how stylized, will eventually look outdated and ugly.

I mean, just look at any 3D game that's older than 5 years. Then look at, say, the Megaman series. They're ageless.

Good pixel art is extremely hard to do, which is why I rarely do anything above programmer art. I can do decent animation and minimalistic style, but good looking pixel-level shading is extremely hard to pull off, whereas I can shade my way on paper or a tablet with near zero effort.

4 warrior of light have a word for you!

PSX quality modeling

I think megaman style pixel art was maturity of the art, look way before megaman and you have the artistic hideousness equivalent of first 3D game

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic