Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 02:12:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Why pixel art?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
Print
Author Topic: Why pixel art?  (Read 65265 times)
diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: September 15, 2010, 10:55:14 PM »

That's true. But that PSX game would look horrendous on my TV, just like FF7. Pixels the size of a fist. Sad
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2010, 01:36:52 PM »

Says guy who likes NES-style pixel art. Big Laff

It's all subjective. In my eyes, retro 3D art has aged well for the same reason retro pixel art has. Games like Ape Escape, Tomba 2, Super Mario 64 and Sonic R still look hella awesome to me. Grin

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2010, 05:39:20 PM »

Good lowpoly is awesome! Quake and the Megaman Legends games have always impressed me.
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2010, 05:44:19 PM »

because its quick/easy to get a consistent and solid look to your game

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2010, 12:39:55 PM »

I even love the look of terrible early games for the N64 or PSX - not just lowpoly, but blurry textures, inexplicable abstract shapes, mixture of polygonal structures and still pictures... just out of nostalgia, I guess.

The PC was never really too blurry like that, but I still have a thing for the look of games like Doom. In fact, I think Doom's level aesthetic is one of my favorites, of any time or system.
Renton
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2010, 01:05:52 PM »

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 20, 2010, 08:04:44 PM »

Heck I have turn a pixel thread into a 3D thread, i'm a heretic! burn me!

By the way, old pixel or 3D art is not just nostalgia, they focus on something long lost in the age of shader: readability!

Blur vs mario kart: in one of those game you can actually see the track and even differentiate the cars! Hint: not the later. The latest Mario kart WII suffer from this too, good and detailed arts but I can't see the road on any of the wii tracks Sad

Old low poly had a low frequencies vs high frequencies things that helpt sorting things visually, the blurry background got the 3D clean line pop. I can't see shit in gears of war, to much details and brown blending mess!

And some limitation was visually good, in doom for exemple you got a better sense of depth than in any modern game (modern warfare), the head bobbing with repeated texture give some heavily pleasing parallax, the pacing and the mood helpt too, and hell mario world had that too!

The truth is that limitation forced artist to make true compositional variation as they work hard to break repetition in meaningful ways (which stand out because of said repetition, and attract attention on important things), while modern chaotic details just got "grey" (nothing stand out) and superficial.

The other things is while the defect ratio has decreased drastically from the old days, the true surprise and quirkiness have mostly disappear too (unless you are Valve or is a true indie). Those pleasing discovery and frustration blend with the appreciation of those old game, building memory and then nostalgia, while modern game tend to be dull and derivative in a bad ways. Not counting there is more variation (gameplay, skills, challenge, theme) with the cute mascot (sonic, kirby, ecco, mario) than with bald space marine Huh?

@skofo: of course you pick the best example of that age! ape escape particularly did it for me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:15:54 PM by neoshaman » Logged

pixeltao
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: September 26, 2010, 09:39:58 PM »

I've just read this entire thread... Tired This quote by Anthony Flack summarizes the exact reasons why I choose pixel art over any other mediums when making a game:

Pixel art evolved from 2d video games. It is perfectly suited to the medium. Other art styles can be made to fit, with effort. Pixel art fits naturally.

However, I admire developers who manage to make good hand-drawn games (Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Wario Land Shake It, and so on) because, like triple-A 3d games, hand-drawn games are very time consuming to produce.

Any medium is a valid choice when making a game. However, pixel art is inherent to video games/computers thus making it a natural choice. 

old pixel or 3D art is not just nostalgia

Agreed. Pixel art has a nostalgia factor for the generation of gamers who grew up with the 8-bit/16-bit games. However, there are more and more people born in the late 90s or later who also love pixel art. And for them, it isn't nostalgia since they didn't grow up with it. Pixel art is a medium that is highly structured and that schematizes an image to its essence. These qualities can appeal to a lot of people.

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: September 28, 2010, 07:49:37 AM »

I wonder how this thread get revived time and time again.

Oops.

Anyways, cross-stitching is a waste of time, why would you ever do that now that you can paint or even print things such as photos on cloth.

I don't get it, everyone on this forum, explain it to me : D

(actually this thread hasn't felt as infected as it felt in the start lately, so I'm ok with it being bumped time and time again)
st33d
« Reply #309 on: September 28, 2010, 08:14:38 AM »

In answer to cross-stich: texture.

The same reason I hand-print etchings. Because the thick paper gets pulled into the surface of the paper and the oil based ink has been polished off to create tone where it's needed and where the acid over-bit parts of the plate.

I once talked to a guy who made silk rugs. I say made, he actually just made a design in photoshop and gave it to these workers who made it up for him. He sells them for thousands.

There's a lot to be said for the human touch.
pixeltao
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: September 28, 2010, 08:16:15 AM »

I wonder how this thread get revived time and time again.

Oops.

Anyways, cross-stitching is a waste of time, why would you ever do that now that you can paint or even print things such as photos on cloth.

I don't get it, everyone on this forum, explain it to me : D

(actually this thread hasn't felt as infected as it felt in the start lately, so I'm ok with it being bumped time and time again)

Yeah, I felt a bit guilty when I posted my reply. But I couldn't resist. Pixel art is so often misunderstood. It feels good to be reassured from time to time. I mean, pixel art is an awesome medium and is still valid even if if was born from older generations of games.

Pixel art is, most of the time, perceived as "nostalgic" (positive preconception) or "dated" (negative preconception). But I think that eventually these preconceptions will fade away. Pixel art should be considered as another medium like mosaic or cross-stitching are.

PogueSquadron
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: December 07, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »

I always thought that size limitations were always a big factor in why so many games (at least professional ones) use pixel art (as opposed to a more hand drawn look).

OP, do you mean to say that you wouldn't mind seeing more games like, say, Wario Land: Shake It?  I have to imagine the sprites used for this game take up a lot of room (hence the necessity for this to be a disc based game on the Wii).

Annnnnd I totally just realized I revived a topic from September.  D'oh!  Whatever, it's an interesting subject, haha.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic